heat exchanger

KOOSER55

I have a 2006 hydra master maxx 470 truck mount. My Stainless Steel Coil Exhaust Heat Exchanger needs to be replaced. It didnt feeze but the repair man said it should be replaced. He currently bypassed it for me. I only use this machine now about 5-6 times a month , this has become a side business. But i really like the steam that the machine created. Do you know if I can have the exchanger fabricated and if so where? I live in the Baltimore MD area.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I cut mine completely apart and repaired it. It's not easy but can be done. Cut the end off and then 6 spot welds holding the coil in the shell. Drop out the coil find the leaks and weld. Yours can't be harder to get apart than mine was.

Gene

Reactions: KOOSER55

KOOSER55

I cut mine completely apart and repaired it. It's not easy but can be done. Cut the end off and then 6 spot welds holding the coil in the shell. Drop out the coil find the leaks and weld. Yours can't be harder to get apart than mine was.

Gene
I wish I could do that but I know nothing about that kind of work, that's why I'm trying to locate a company that does.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
You need a guy that has his own shop or a friend that's a welder. I have a friend who owns a factory with dozens of different types of welders and access to it all. Plus a1 welders when necessary. It was very time consuming to fix but I ran without it for about a week.

Gene

KOOSER55

You need a guy that has his own shop or a friend that's a welder. I have a friend who owns a factory with dozens of different types of welders and access to it all. Plus a1 welders when necessary. It was very time consuming to fix but I ran without it for about a week.

Gene
I only use this machine part time. If I were to take it off and take it to a wielder you think he could figure out how to fix it with out having knowledge or truck mounts?

Name
Marcus
Should just go with a propane heater or kerosene heater...
It would be easier to set up and give you at least 5 times the heat copacity...
Cap

Reactions: Desk Jockey

KOOSER55

Cost is 1500$. Kerosene at northern tools
A little less for propane
Cap
The cost of replacing the heat exchanger with hydramaster parts is onlu a little over 2k. I never had a problem with it not having enough heat before. It would would burn my hands sometimes.

Im not familiar with the propane heater Ill have to see if I can find a link , I have this machine in a trailer I pull

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I would not do anything till you find someone to take it apart and find out where it is leaking.
Last SS heat exchanger I tore apart it was only the compression nut where it attached to the coil leaking on the inside.

KOOSER55

I would not do anything till you find someone to take it apart and find out where it is leaking.
Last SS heat exchanger I tore apart it was only the compression nut where it attached to the coil leaking on the inside.
What kind of place would take it apart and check that? Would it have to be a Truckmount service center? There are only 2 that I know of around me and the one who looked at it told me it needed to be replaced but I dont think he took it apart , Im almost certain he didnt.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Would it have to be a Truckmount service center?
Most of those don't have the time or inclination to do an extensive repair like that.

They have found either through experience or training that its faster and more profitable to just replace it. I'd look for someone that strictly does repairs with stainless and copper.

Last edited by a moderator:

KOOSER55

Do you live in or near a farming community?

Ask a farmer who does their welding and fabrication.

We have a shop here that can fix or fudge anything made of steel.
I live near Baltimore , not to many farms around this part but there are a few wielding shops and a buddy of mine does it for a living , he told me he could fix by doing "tig wielding" but I was concerned with how he would know where the leak is if it not being pressurized

KOOSER55

Most of those don't have the time or inclination to do an extensive repair like that.

They have found either through experience or training that its faster and more profitable to just replace it. I'd look for someone that strictly does repairs with stainless and copper.
Okay I had thought that when he told me to replace it.

Last edited:

KOOSER55

A good welding job shop would be able to fix it, but you would have to ask them if they would be willing to take it apart for you. You're in Vegas? Maybe someplace like this:

http://certified-welding.com/
Im in baltimore , so should I just take it off and take it to them and they would be able to find the leak and repair it or do they need to see it running? The way it looks to me is they would have to remove the housing to actually see the coil.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
get the coil out and pressureize it to see where the bubbles are coming from....or a brush with soap water

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The more you can do to get it out and expose the guts the less it will cost you. Just don't go beyond your ability and tools or you might make things worse and end up costing yourself even more.

Pics of your progress would be cool!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I would show them an exploded view of what's inside. It's not self explanatory from the outside. You have space on the end to cut it off but make sure he knows to scribe a mark for exact spot replacement. Once the end is off you can see what's inside. You can cut the end off with a Drexel tool then clean and pressure wash it out. It will be full of carbon. Use an air gun and see where it leaks. Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns. It's already broke so just go for it. If I remember I'll take a picture of the back of mine. You can easily see where it was cut off. Should have taken pictures but I rarely remember. Before you weld it all back together it's a good idea to put it under working pressure. I rigged mine up and turned on the machine first before putting it all back together. Water shooting out is easy to see.

Gene

Reactions: dgardner

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
I would check with one of the old established radiator repair shops. The old timers in those places have repaired hundreds of similar systems. A radiator is just a simple heat exchanger after all.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I would just replace and not deal with the hassle of future issues and then look into fixing the bad exchanger for the future. I haven't replaced a heat exchanger until the day before I sold a TM.......that was 25 years old. I'm betting freeze damage if it's on a 10 year old HM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom