Heavy nicotine on white carpet

Jamesh921

Name
James
Code:
Custy has had a rug on this carpet for quite some time. Carpet is perfectly white underneath, but nicotine stains all around it. Is there anything that will restore the carpet to at least blend in with the area beneath the rug??

Thanks,
James

tim

It is a biotch! I use my strongest prespray with citrus and oxyboost, add Energy for oils and treat heaviest areas with fels naptha. Lots of dwell and aggitation (use a 175 or whittaker). Should take care of it!

harryhides

Name
Tony
It depends and on what I really don't know - fiber, age of stains, brand of cigs, amount of protection who knows.

Some have cleaned up well.
Some only slightly better.
Some - no change whatsoever. One was nine years worth of smoking by a shut in, tried everything, steam all kinds of solvents and nuclear presprays - no change.

Test clean a small area and then you will know.
Me, I can't be bothered, I prefer pets to smokers.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jamesh921 said:
Code:
Custy has had a rug on this carpet for quite some time. Carpet is perfectly white underneath, but nicotine stains all around it. Is there anything that will restore the carpet to at least blend in with the area beneath the rug??

Thanks,
James

What Tony said.

but I'll say "probably not"

You'll be able to "improve" the surrounding area, but unlikely able to make it match the "new" carpet under the rug

I've tried many things on nicotine stained goods.
Krud Kutter beat them all

..L.T.A.

A

amazingcleansc

meAt said:
Jamesh921 said:
Code:

Thanks,
James

What Tony said.

but I'll say "probably not"

You'll be able to "improve" the surrounding area, but unlikely able to make it match the "new" carpet under the rug

I've tried many things on nicotine stained goods.
Krud Kutter beat them all

..L.T.A.

NICE. im curious does KK work on filtration soil as well?

A

amazingcleansc

meAt said:
amazingcleansc said:
NICE. im curious does KK work on filtration soil as well?

donno, Dave.
never tried it.
don't know that nicotine is the same as filtration soil though

..L.T.A.

super tiny particles that are deposited by air and consist largely of carbon, i mean if they arent brother and sister, then they are what we call in SC, "kissing cousins"

Jamesh921

Name
James
Filtration soil is hard to remove in most cases; nicotine is EXTREMELY hard to remove. They may be kissin' cousins, but one puts out eventually and the other you have to marry before she puts out.
If you take on a project like this, you darn well need to prequalify the custy. If you don't, you're married to it until it's fixed.

I just want to be able to walk in with the best proposal without having to commit to a long-term relationship with this particular issue.

Yes, I want her for a long term client, so I don't want to dissappoint her with lack-luster results on this carpet. I want to be the hero. That's why I'm asking you guys for advice.

Thanks,
James

joe harper

Name
joe harper
James ...

The MOST effective NICOTINE remover is "ARGOSHEEN"..... :!:

We have used it for years...It is AWESOME...When I had the Detail Shop...

We had cars that were "UN-SALEABLE"...from Nicotine Contamination... :twisted:

The headliners were HORRIBLE...."nAsTy"... :oops:

The "STODDARDS"..that are in the product..EAT NICOTINE... 8)

All of the Major Airlines...used ARGOSHEEN..to clean ALL FABRICS...In the 60's & 70'S... :wink:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
HARPER said:
The "STODDARDS"..that are in the product..EAT NICOTINE... 8)

hey Harpdaddy, isn't stoddards mineral spirits?
I "think" that's what they call mineral spirits in Europe

James, be sure to PRE qualify the lady .
The age old adage stands true.
It goes sump'um like this;

"pre-qualifying expectations BEFORE the job and it's considered education.
explaining results AFTER the job are considered excuses"

Krud Kutter, buy it at Home Depot ..about $12 bukz a gal.
Mix at 4 to one, nuke it, roto scrub it, flush/rinse extract.

get a gal of aRgoshEEn too and do a side by side for us.
report back to the class...
(cause admittedly, I've never tried the stinky solvent argo on nicotine)

and lastly, DON'T promise to make the carpet look new .
Promise to "improve" is fine, but not completely "remove"

..L.T.A.

harryhides

Name
Tony
And while you are considering Harpo's toxic advice you might want to consider you own health instead of just your bottom line.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I've gotten nicotine out with just Natural Orange by Hydromaster and an RX 20. Of course I worked for a company that you wouldn't bother calling back so maybe it all wicked back on them.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
harryhides said:
And while you are considering Harpo's toxic advice you might want to consider you own health instead of just your bottom line.

For someone who is AllEgEdLy...so smart... :roll:

You sure have NO IDEA..what you are BaBblInG about... :cry:

If you HAVEN'T tried the PRODUCT....."sHuT-It"... :!:

NOw ...dO whaT you Do Best ...GeT yoUr Crayons oUt...&...Go ColOr SomEtHinG...P :mrgreen:

Huggs & Kisses

HArPeR... :wink:

John Buxton

You need a degreaser, thats what Krud kutter is. I've tried it but Unsmokes, or Advantage degreaser is a hundred times better (and more expensive). Tar and nicotene need degreasers, then you'll need a smoke deodorizer like 9D9. Do a demo first to see results.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Did the job first thing this morning. No Home Depot around here for 50 miles so I had to go with what I had. Used a product called Super Nova (private label) with a ph of 12 that I save for really trashed apartments and rentals. Boosted it with some Citrus. Didn't do a whole lot of good. Lightened up a little but didn't remove a whole lot of the nicotine stain.

This carpet was in 4 bedrooms, LR, DR and hall in a half million dollar home (here in Oklahoma that's a BIG, FANCY house). They have already moved out and it is now for sale. Prequalified the custy about results and she had no problem with how it turned out. Thanked me graciously and wrote the check with a smile. I did clean her stained concrete too which turned out great. Another happy customer - or she could have just had gas. Sometimes it's hard to tell with older folks :)

Thanks for the info though. I'll try the degreaser next time.

James

Able 1

Name
Keith
I just had one that looked like wood stain under two closet doors... At first I didn't notice the smoke smell, but when I got to cleaning I could tell it came from cig. smoke. I used some fels and it came right out.

ntcc

I had a nasty just like this. back working for chemdry. I used their verson of citrasolve called lavendoria. its more potent than cirtasolve. its more like painthinner with a fresh orange scent. It never came out well. Same custy called me back after opening my own business. the custy was a three pack a day, kept all curtains closed, door shut, and all inside doors shut. so the livingroom stark white was navel orange and sticky. I used a stupid simple product called Borax. and beleive it or not. it sounds haoky but dammit if it didnt work better than anything else I ever used to date for nicotine.
So give it a try in the future and post the results here.

ntcc said:
I had a nasty just like this. back working for chemdry. I used their verson of citrasolve called lavendoria. its more potent than cirtasolve. its more like painthinner with a fresh orange scent. It never came out well. Same custy called me back after opening my own business. the custy was a three pack a day, kept all curtains closed, door shut, and all inside doors shut. so the livingroom stark white was navel orange and sticky. I used a stupid simple product called Borax. and beleive it or not. it sounds haoky but dammit if it didnt work better than anything else I ever used to date for nicotine.
So give it a try in the future and post the results here.

The 0-2 System has a lot of BORAX in it.

What Is Borax?
Borax (also known as sodium borate decahydrate; sodium pyroborate; birax; sodium tetraborate decahydrate; sodium biborate) is a natural mineral compound (Na2B4O7 • 10H2O). It was discovered over 4000 years ago. Borax is usually found deep within the ground, although it has been mined near the surface in Death Valley, California since the 1800s. Although it has numerous industrial uses, in the home borax is used as a natural laundry booster, multipurpose cleaner, fungicide, preservative, insecticide, herbicide, disinfectant, dessicant, and ingredient in making 'slime'. Borax crystals are odorless, whitish (can have various color impurities), and alkaline. Borax is not flammable and is not reactive. It can be mixed with most other cleaning agents, including chlorine bleach.

How Does Borax Clean?

Borax has many chemical properties that contribute to its cleaning power. Borax and other borates clean and bleach by converting some water molecules to hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). This reaction is more favorable in hotter water. The pH of borax is about 9.5, so it produces a basic solution in water, thereby increasing the effectiveness of bleach and other cleaners. In other chemical reactions, borax acts as a buffer, maintaining a stable pH needed to maintain cleansing chemical reactions. The boron, salt, and/or oxygen of boron inhibit the metabolic processes of many organisms. This characteristic allows borax to disinfect and kill unwanted pests. Borates bonds with other particles to keep ingredients dispersed evenly in a mixture, which maximizes the surface area of active particles to enhance cleaning power.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Les, does that mean I can go buy a box of 20 Mule Team borax and spike my own juice?
That way it's always fresh/full potency ?

cause as I understand it, it does lose potency when in suspension.
maybe not as fast as sodium perk, but a shelf life none the less.

so wouldn't adding powdered borax at point of use be better?

..L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
I bought a box of Borex and have used it one EVERYTHING. I even used it to stop the ants coming in from outside. 100% success rate with the bugs.

Larry you might want to talk to Shawn about Borex, he gave me some good info.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
meAt said:
Les, does that mean I can go buy a box of 20 Mule Team borax and spike my own juice?

..L.T.A.

YES you can... :wink:
But you will NOt get the OxiDiZinG effect that you get from SP... :!:

HARPER
on Les's computer.. :lol:

meAt said:

..L.T.A.

Larry, with the advanced formula of the O2 System and the state-of-the-art processing system we use, the Boron is held in an indefinite state of hybernation.
http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/20_mu ... age9c.html

20_mule_team_borax_s.jpg

For an oxygen product to get weaker, it must off gas. The O2 System has zero off-gassing.

20_mule_team04_s.jpg

I guess you could get some Borox and play around with it if you want to, but just adding it to your existing pre-spray will not make it perform as good as the O2 System.

The reason that the O2 System has such superior performance on nicotine is not due to the Boron only. There are several other boosting additives. It is a combination of Boron, other boosting agents, Pottasium Hydroxide and D Limonene that makes it cut hydrocarbons so well.

I'm not sure if you saw the photographs I posted previously in this post. The photographs are of a carpet that had not been cleaned in ten years and was a cigar smoker.

20_mule_team03_s.jpg

A

amazingcleansc

Les you lost me once you started with that "state of the art" talk. Ivebeensold

Ryan

What if I mix a little borax, fels naptha, and powdered H202. 'Course mine wouldn't be "food grade" but I don't think that matters at all when your scrubbing piss soaked carpet. :lol:

BTW Harpo is right... Argosheen takes care of nicotine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom