Help, got a bleeder

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Washed several rugs for customer that said they had been washed before but 1 4 x 6 apparently hadn't been washed before. Confirmed when I called and asked. It's weird how it bled into just parts of the fringe, not everywhere even though the red fibers are all the way across. Does this mean it had previous chems or that the yarns just weren't rinsed properly during construction? I've already tried fringe cleaner, stain magic, 40 volume peroxide w/ammonia. Is there any hope for removing this red from the fringe? If I have to buy it, can I post a pic to est. value or go with what they want? Thanks.

Ron K

Kevin a picture of the rug and areas which have bled would help. The why is not as important right now as the "how can we fix this.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Yeah, really need a pic.

The two things that come to mind are ink used to color the back of the rugs at the fringe common on cheap Indian rugs and an indicator dye issue

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Yep, It's ink.

Chlorine bleach 1/2 cup and 1/2 teaspoon sodium carbonate (baking soda) to 4 cups hot water apply with a brush or spray bottle give some dwell time and
rinse and neutralize with sodium Thiosulfate.

This works 80% of the time if it doesnt you need to convert the ink to dye with a strong acid then a reducer.
But the easier and quicker solution is to buy some yellow go

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Yep, It's ink.

Chlorine bleach 1/2 cup and 1/2 teaspoon sodium carbonate (baking soda) to 4 cups hot water apply with a brush or spray bottle give some dwell time and

This works 80% of the time if it doesnt you need to convert the ink to dye with a strong acid then a reducer.

Where do I find the Sodium Thiosulfate? Is there a common use for it?

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I found it. Its a bleach neutralizer. What is yellow go and who sells it?
OK i found the yellogo too. It will be here wed. Are you saying to use the yellowgo before trying the bleach?

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Can you imagine using beach? Just remember there is a context in which bleach may be used and a procedure that involves rinse and neutralization.

In the thread: Washing Wool - Shall we talk chemistry and reality? There is context to consider in wool too.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
If he has the rug hanging down or laying "downhill" with the fringe being the lowest point, he should be ok to apply the mixture lightly and rinse/neutralize "downwards".

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
If he has the rug hanging down or laying "downhill" with the fringe being the lowest point, he should be ok to apply the mixture lightly and rinse/neutralize "downwards".

That's what I'm doing. Hanging off both sides of table. I hope nothing migrates. Thanks for the help guys.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yep, It's ink.

Interesting.
Randy, would Sodium Thiosulfate work better as a neutralizer than sodium bisulfate?

Also, do you use Yellow Go (Titanium Sulfate) or Sodium Thiosulfate to remove dye stains from wool?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I kinda of like it when the rug oozes dye. Keeps me on my toes. With luck and fingers crossed, looking forward to seeing your plant this spring randy.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So what do YOU do when the rug is bleeding like a stuck pig?

Randy, Ron, David?

Do you guys always use dye stabilizer before washing?

Ron K

So what do YOU do when the rug is bleeding like a stuck pig?

Randy, Ron, David?

Do you guys always use dye stabilizer before washing?

All rugs are are different and there fore treated different. I have not found a "Dye Stabilizer" that works 100% of the time. Tom and Randy at least you know what you have in those rugs in those pictures. It's the one that comes up and bite you that pucker me up.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Terry and Ron hit it, keep the wAter flowing is important, but each rug is unique. Being prepared to strip a rug during wash or changing the pH when needed... Just depends on the rug And how invasive we need to get.

Chris A

Name
Chris
How did it come out Kevin? I've got two in my shop that look similar, almost made me swear off rug cleaning Friday!

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Hey guys. It took 3 weeks to get the yellow go to us because of the snow and cold. It can't be delivered by ups or fedex. Distributor had to bring it. The stuff is magic.eye dropper to the fringe and the color just disappears. Rinsed it out with a hand tool and let it dry. Yellow go is $110 a gallon but it doesn't take much.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I used Randy's bleach mixture on my purple fringes and they turned out perfect as well. THANK YOU RANDY HYDE! I'm gonna get some Yellow-go as well as I keep on my quest of not browning/yellowing fringes...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom