HELP!!! How do u pay your employees?

hanks75

I have one tech that runs the van by himself. He's great, a very hard worker. I currently pay him 30%. Now i'm getting busier and need to add someone to help him out. How would you compensate them?? Would you drop the lead tech to 20%, 25%, and pay the helper 10%. Or would you pay the helper by the hour? I'm confused on what i should do. I really would hate to drop my lead guy to 20%, but i also don't want to go deep into my pockets either.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
you pay him 30% because he is working by him self?? when you get him some help he will not be working as hard..
my trucks dont pay more than 35% total unless there is weekend or night work involved.

Is he asking for help. Mb get another truck going and rotate him back and forth or atleast give your tech the option of less pay for having a helper.

WANDMASTER3

i wish i got 30% . i clean carpet , tile , upholstery , and water damage.30% would be nice even 20% on some of them big water losses i do.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
You are giving Your lead TEC 30%, you said you need to get a second guy to help out because your business is increasing. With a second guy he can get through more work in a day and generate more revenue. So why would you drop his pay if he worked his way up. The increase business will help pay for the new tec. What did you start your first tec out at?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
William,

I deal with this situation every year. As you realize we are now moving into our busy
season. I also pay my lead techs 30%. My men are told "upfront" that the maximum they
will be paid is 30%. So if they want a raise...work harder & increase sales. Our policy is
"EAT WHAT YOU KILL". But no "high pressure sales".

I explain to them that if they have a helper. It allows me to schedule them with more
work in a given day. Plus, I will be able to give them larger "Ticket" jobs . The helpers
pay is to be deducted from their 30%. I give them the option to pay the help by the hour
or a percentage.

The truck is their responsibility... so they are accountable for everything that occurs on that
vehicle. I explain to them that if they have 3 small jobs a day...they will adverage $180.00
per day at their 30%. If they have 4 large jobs a day... they will adverage more than $360.00
per day at their 30%. So.......they have a business decision to make.?

$180.00 per day "Solo"
$360.00 per day "with helper"

$360.00 gross % - "helper's pay" at $10.00 per hour x 8 hrs = $280.00 gross pay
$360.00 gross % - "helper's pay" at 7% of gross sales per day = $276.00 gross pay

So if they have a helper they stand make an additional $100.00 @ day.......!

HARPER said:
William,

I deal with this situation every year. As you realize we are now moving into our busy
season. I also pay my lead techs 30%. My men are told "upfront" that the maximum they
will be paid is 30%. So if they want a raise...work harder & increase sales. Our policy is

I explain to them that if they have a helper. It allows me to schedule them with more
work in a given day. Plus, I will be able to give them larger "Ticket" jobs . The helpers
pay is to be deducted from their 30%. I give them the option to pay the help by the hour
or a percentage.

The truck is their responsibility... so they are accountable for everything that occurs on that
vehicle. I explain to them that if they have 3 small jobs a day...they will adverage $180.00
per day at their 30%. If they have 4 large jobs a day... they will adverage more than $360.00

$180.00 per day "Solo"

$360.00 gross % - "helper's pay" at 7% of gross sales per day = $276.00 gross pay

Harper just nailed it! The reasoon they are getting 30 percent is because they will need to spend an hour a day cleaning the truck and mixing chems. For me personally I would rather pay a tech 20 percent and I would maintain the equipment, stock chems, and clean the truck. I am just picky like that. My brother used to work for me before he got a corporate job and I paid him 15 percent to ride with me and 20 percent to go solo. He was happy.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dan,

You are exactly right....The head techs are HAPPY to pay the helper .....Just so they
don't have to wash the vehicle,clean the dump tank & filter, & prep the truck for the
following day....They want to sit in the AC...with me.... :wink:

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
HARPER said:
William,

or a percentage.

$180.00 per day "Solo"

That was very well explained. I guess I'm a tight bastard. I don't think I would pay that much, but I would certainly give that person incentive pay for working harder.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hi Chris,

You are not a tight-bastard....I see from your profile ...that you are not a multi truck op..

When you volume of work increases..."And it Will"...Then this system would work for you..

We don't have a lot of turnover...I think the system allows you to find serious techs...
I am blessed to have such a fun bunch of guys to work with...

My best producing crew...has 2 of my most experianced techs on one truck...They split @
15% EACH...They work so good together...that they make more money as TEAM.

During the Slow season...They make their own SCHEDULES...This allows them to have
4 day weekends... :eek: Who ever goes Solo for the day ...Keeps the entire 30%... :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom