Help! Machine Running Puny.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
PowerClean Freedom 47. Kohler 25 hp water-cooled.

Yesterday it started running puny, like missing a little. When truned off at ignition switch, engine continued to run. Had to throttle down to stop it. (This not-turning-off is intermittent. Sometimes it will.)

Good plugs, filters, etc. Don't think it's bad gas; refilled midday yesterday.

Thinking it might be a relay for the ignition problem, but would that make the engine run puny? Both symptoms started at the same time.

Distributor is closed today. Overbooked for at least a week so it would be a problem to take it to him without making customers unhappy. Doing a couple jobs today to catch up a little.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Could be ...the ethanol...in fuel...!!!

I posted 6 months ago...You gentlemen up NORTH...should be PREPARED for this gReMlIn.. :x

Be prepared to CHANGE out your fuel pumps..Every six months ..or ..Every 300 to 500 hours.!

DON'T..forget to change out the rubber fuel lines...!!!

Do it as a "preventive maintenance"..procedure...just like changing your oil... :idea:

The ethanol ..degrades ..any rubber o-rings in the carb,fuel lines,fuel filters, "which effects"
plugs, points,...any thing that the fuel touches.... :!:

You HAVE ..fuel & fire or she would not run... :idea:

Before you start Changing PARTS....over haul the fuel system.."You may Be Surprised."

ps..if this does NOT solve the problem...Check for a bad ground..voltage regulator..loose
wires on the "back" of the ignition switch..."Over time they can vibrate loose..." :idea:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Make sure that you don have a lawn mower engine that has worked itsef to death...
25 HP is purty much running 100% capacity...for that motor!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
just a "guess" , but are your HX'ers plugged/restricted ???

can too much exhaust back pressure cause the problem?
....kind of like a clogged catalytic converter on a vehicle??

..L.T.A.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
How many hours on your unit. I'd first be checking things on the electrical side. Make sure all connections are tight. Start at the ignition switch.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Shane T said:
How many hours on your unit. I'd first be checking things on the electrical side. Make sure all connections are tight. Start at the ignition switch.

2000 hrs.

Took ignition switch out Sat. morning to find replacement, which nobody open had. I think there's a relay past the switch. I'll check that next.

It ran good enough to work yesterday. Runs better at higher rpms, and maybe when hot. But stumbled when I reduced the rpms to cool it down. And it's slow to start.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
meAt said:
just a "guess" , but are your HX'ers plugged/restricted ???

can too much exhaust back pressure cause the problem?
....kind of like a clogged catalytic converter on a vehicle??

..L.T.A.

Good idea, but new exhaust HX a few months ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom