Help me with pulley size on a 45 blower?

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I am helping Dave Stover put a 45 blower were a 36 was on a older TCS machine with a pulley system. The pulley on the 18hp briggs is 6.5" and on the old 36 is 8.25". So..... is that underdriving the blower. What is the best size pulley to put on the 45 blower? I want to get the best pulley size to make this work properly.

Thank you

Mister Sir Hack-a-Lot BDCC extroidinaire

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Yes it is under-driven. What speed is he running? With the current pulleys at 3000 rpm the blower is turning 2362rpm. The 45 blower running at 3600rpm will require 15.9 BHP. Does he run anything else besides the pressure pump? If you e-mail all info I can have my son plug it into a program that can give you all the options.
I had an old unit that ran a 21hrs Kholer with a 45 blower. It was a direct coupler and that worked well. I'm not sure that this 18hrs can turn that 45 without slowing down the blower.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thats what i was thinking....a 45 on an 18hp motor??? does he only need/want 300 psi from his pressure pump...cuz thats about all it will allow...more so being pulleyed instead of direct coupled

Greenie

Keep the pulleys as they are.

Before he was under driving by choice, now he will Need to under drive.

ps: crank the throttle up, he will need the additional rpms.

Do all TCS units look like this? Maybe that is why Marty uses that booster so much. an 18hp at 3500 rpms will drive a 36 just fine on a 1:1 level.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jay;

Use the same pulley on the #45 blower.

The 18 HP doesn't have the usable HP to run faster & maintain the 2" higher lift the #45 can deliver.

Is that TM a TCS?

Larry Cobb

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Yes, Larry it is a TCS Unit. I picked up a 45 roots and hooked it to a 16hp briggs(currently hooked back up to a 36 roots) and It just could'nt hold past 2900-3000rpm with the 45 with the wand on the carpet. So Dave wanted a bigger blower with his 18hp briggs and some have run it with a 45 before and it worked fine. We are just putting it in right now with the same basic plumbing and pulleys except the muffler will be 2.5" instead of a little less then 2". We will rework the whole thing when he gets a bigger motor.

Mister Sir

P.S. He runs his briggs at 3600 rpms which In the above equation shane used it would be turning the blower ar 2834 rpms which will be a slight improvement over his 36 roots he had.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom