Help on a Freeze Up

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok, it got really cold last night 12 degrees. I got up every 2 hours to check box temp on the vortex and at around 4am it got down to around 34 degrees in the box. I have 2 space heaters on different circuits and monitor them frequently.

Haven't had a job in 3 days so I thought I would start it up and let the equipmnet run for an hour or so to get the fresh water tank heated up cuz I have 4 jobs tommorrow. Everything seem to go ok and pump seemed to kick in however not getting any water! So I shut it down and have a 50 foot hose soaking in a hot bath, I have put a salomander kerosene heater in the box and have left the back doors and side doors cracked about 1/2 inch to let her breath. She's up to 62 after 15 min and I thought I would let her stay heated for about an hour to give whatever lines that have frozen a good chance to thaw out and try it again. I know it's not good to run pump when somethings frozen but I really haven't had a freeze up so not sure what else I should do about going about thawing it out and trying again.

-Other points the thermostat is located about 2 feet off floor so it probably got colder, also I checked the drain line on the fresh water tank and that line is frozen also.
-I use live reals with 200 feet on each so I tried a 50 ft section that I had hanging in the truck and thats the one I was giving the bath in case it was frozen as well. Just trying to eliminate all possiblities of what's may be frozen and crossing my fingers it's not the pump or something big
Thanks for any suggestions

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok 15 minutes later and box is setting at 80 now. I also started up the truck and bungie corded the trottle to 1500 rpm to try to warm the truck up which I figure will warm up the fresh water tank with some time. Not sure how this will work with the truck not under a load. I know it usually takes about 5 miles of driving to feel the heat cuz it takes so long to heat up with coils going through tank.

Any other ideas? Boy I don't miss the nice warm weather!

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I'm sure you've done this, but check all wands to ensure you don't have cracked valves. The couple of freeze-ups I had blew the valves on the wands.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I brought both wands in last night. I was using the stair tool and brought it in also and ran it under warm water. However the 50 section of hose I tried doesn't have a QD so this would have eliminated the wand factor "if" that hose was'nt frozen. I am going to give it an hour or so and try it again.

Ok 10 minutes later and the temp gauge shows no change but air is getting warm so this will heat up the fresh tank in a few so this should help the overall situation it seems. I'll let you know.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Since it is Sunday, do you have any jobs today? If no, then DON'T start the machine and mess with it until you have heated that box for several hours!

It takes much longer for ice to turn back to water, than it takes for water to turn to ice.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Bob for that suggestion. I do have a job tonight at 10 pm and thought I would call the other 2 accts that I have at 5 and 7am to see if I can do them tonight so everything will be hot. However, this won't be the case if I don't get her up and running.

Thanks for your suggestion, so I will wait MUCH longer before trying it again. Box is setting at 92 degrees now so 3-4 hours of this should be ok don't you think?

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Billy, I am not familiar with the vortex set up, but on my Boxxer when it gets really cold I have to watch my fresh water pump from my water tank because that tends to freeze up on me because it is mounted on the floor. I usually keep my space heater near that to keep it thawed when it gets real cold.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
believe it or not there is not to many places this machine can freeze.......

the hoses to and from the cat pump....

wrap and insulate them in the winter..

the lines that come from the main block and feed the solution reels....

same as above..wrap and insulate..

the solution hoses....

this is really an easy fix for everyone...use quick connects where the lines hook up to the machine and use reels that all you need to do is pull a pin and slide the reel off the holders and bring them in when not in use to keep them warm.....

the cat pump.....throw an electric blanket on them in the winter....

hose that is wrapped around the back of the fresh tank, feeding the therm HX

wrap and insulate.....

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Tim,
I have one of the heaters pointed at the pump and it sets 3 inches off the floor but down low. I am hoping it is just a supply line however like Bob says this will cause damage to pump also.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Billy, You have to be very careful with the pump. I had Chuck Cushman fabricate these covers for the gap around and under the pump .
100_1290.jpg

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Ron,
My pump doesn't have the cover. I have a 2004 6008 model.

I shut the truck engine down about 1 hr ago I will continue to heat with torpedo for couple more hours. It was like a Hot day in Arizona Jim at 104 degrees in the box. Couple more hours we will fire her up and try again and I will let you know what we got.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
admiralclean said:
Well? Is it working?

Don't make me have to drive up there!

what are you going to do.....drive up there and call me from his house.............?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Its 5:28 and I posted a follow up at 5:16 but didn't seem to go through.

Hooked up the 50ft of hose that had been taken a bath. Box at 100 for about 2.5 hours. Started up equip. engaged pump and had pressure and water at 5:10 Yeesssssss! Went ahead and tried both live reals both worked fine. Ran it for about 5 minutes and shut her down. Let the tornado heat it back up to 100 and unpluged it and will monitor with other heaters until job tonight.

I have to find better heaters that draw less amps I am currently using the Stanley ceramics form Lowes which are good but have been blowing one of the currents if I turn it to high.

Also will get some more insulaton for side and front walls for the winter. I have 2 layers of 1/2 inch on top that I leave in year around.

Did I mention that I dispise the winter! My body has always disliked it and now so does the TM

Thanks for all of you help and suggestions.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
tonycastellano said:
Nothing beats having a heated garage in the winter.

I agree.....there's nothing like a warm truck to start the day when it's 10* out. We've got wind chills here at about 1*. I keep my garage at about 45*. I f the heater (gas Reznor) goes out overnight, the garage will maintain the heat above freezing.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Last winter I had a nice 2.5 car garage with a woodburner. I could get it blazing hot then bank the fire and it would keep the truck cozy the rest of the night. Just to be sure I also had an electric heater in the van.

This year I got into a nicer house but no garage. I had meant to rent a small shop but never found one to suit my needs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom