Help! TM Experts.........Pressure Problems

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I had the Genesis out today to help out for the United Way "Day Of Caring", which of course was a free-bee. I was helping out in a downtown area with gum on the sidewalks. With the genesis up to full heat, I was peeling gum up with the pressure gun at about 1500 psi. I wanted a little more pressure, so I cranked it up to 1800 and cleaned for about 5 minutes before I heard a pop and lost pressure. Sure enough, the high pressure relief valve popped. So I wrapped it up and headed back to the garage to change out the valve with an extra I had. This relief valve is mounted on the heat exchanger chamber, and is factory set to pop off at 2800-3000 psi. After changing it out, I tested it and it,too popped off. Now I took the original apart, and cleaned it, and reinstalled the original valve........tested it and it popped, blew the whole top off the valve. (probably due to it being brass and 8 years of heat and pressure). The whole time, the pressure guage never went above 1800 psi. Wouldn't the safety valve protect the whole pressure system? Am I overlooking something? Could it be maybe some scale had broke off and jammed the unloader bypass system? Since there are no PowerClean techs to talk to, I need the experienced TM builders and experts here to give me some ideas of what to check. I was trying to track down jim Nape today, but couldn't get to him. Powerclean dealers.......HELP!

Name
Jesse
Is your pressure gauge accurate? We had 2 fail last week, both showing incorrect pressure by hundreds of psi. 1 was too high a reading and the other was too low.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Out Of Character said:
Is your pressure gauge accurate? We had 2 fail last week, both showing incorrect pressure by hundreds of psi. 1 was too high a reading and the other was too low.

That's where I'll start looking today. I will check the psi with a new gauge, and also test the outlet where the relief valve mounts. I'm hoping thats what the problem is. The whole system should be in the same pressure circuit as the relief valve. Maybe, just maybe I had 2 bad relief valves.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
As mentioned I'd confirm the pressure reading then try a new by-pass unloader. Just courious, what pressure is the safety valve set to pop off at?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Shane T said:
As mentioned I'd confirm the pressure reading then try a new by-pass unloader. Just courious, what pressure is the safety valve set to pop off at?

2800-3000psi. This is the HP genesis.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
rwcarpet said:
Shane T said:

2800-3000psi. This is the HP genesis.

I have run it at over 2000 psi many times.....no problems, other than creating leaks in the QD's and shut off valve at the wand.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Robert,

We run the Everst HP....The MAX pressure you can run with "HEAT"...is 1200 psi... :shock:

HOWEVER...we can run up to 3000 psi.."WITHOUT HEAT"... :idea:

We have to move the "BY-PASS" lever & turn OFF the chemical pump to run HP.... :oops:

The reason for this is the HX can NOT take the HIGH pressure... :idea:

If you have run @ 2000 psi with HEAT...."You have been lUcKY..!"

I am NOT familiar with the your UNIT.... :oops:

BUT...I have NEVER seen a HX carry that PRESSURE with HEAT...
Except for a A-TECH or Vortex..... !gotcha!

ps I realize you unit is famous for great heat....BUT....@ that GPM...I can"t imagine
you carrying more than 150 degrees....@ that PSI... :?:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
HARPER said:
Robert,

We run the Everst HP....The MAX pressure you can run with "HEAT"...is 1200 psi... :shock:

HOWEVER...we can run up to 3000 psi.."WITHOUT HEAT"... :idea:

We have to move the "BY-PASS" lever & turn OFF the chemical pump to run HP.... :oops:

The reason for this is the HX can NOT take the HIGH pressure... :idea:

If you have run @ 2000 psi with HEAT...."You have been lUcKY..!"

I am NOT familiar with the your UNIT.... :oops:

BUT...I have NEVER seen a HX carry that PRESSURE with HEAT...
Except for a A-TECH or Vortex..... !gotcha!

ps I realize you unit is famous for great heat....BUT....@ that GPM...I can"t imagine
you carrying more than 150 degrees....@ that PSI... :?:

Harp.....everything goes through the HX system on a Genesis. The only bypass is the exhaust diverter. Even on the Genesis, once you start pressure washing at 1500 and over, the heat won't keep up because of the high flow.

I flushed out the HX today, and connected a hose from the relief valve location to the front of the machine. There, I connected the remaining (old) relief valve and a new pressure gauge on a "T". I fired up the TM and adjusted the pressure up and down....both gauges read the same, so there isn't a spike in the HX like I thought. The relief valve did start leaking at around 600 psi, and blew wide open at 1200. It's got to be the old valve. I adjusted it in as far as it would go (highest PSI), but it still blew. I have one coming at 7:30 Monday morning at Graingers, the only place in town that could get one. I think that will fix the problem.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
RW,

I agree....has to be the pop-off valve.... :!:

Thank GOD...it did blow...!!!!

Lot cheaper than a HX... !gotcha!

ps Just wondering..? Does the fitting on the HX..allow for you to put an extention hose
and then attach the pop-off valve...? It may be easier to service in the future... :idea:
Similar to the extention hoses we install to change..."drain"... fluids in the cat pump.?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
HARPER said:
RW,

I agree....has to be the pop-off valve.... :!:

Thank GOD...it did blow...!!!!

Lot cheaper than a HX... !gotcha!

ps Just wondering..? Does the fitting on the HX..allow for you to put an extention hose
and then attach the pop-off valve...? It may be easier to service in the future... :idea:
Similar to the extention hoses we install to change..."drain"... fluids in the cat pump.?

Harp...I'm going to leave the extention hose on that I installed yesterday, an leave it mounted near the front panel. I'll mount the new relief valve on the "T" I installed, and leave the extra pressure gauge on for now. New valve will be here 7:30 am tomorrow.

I think I will mount the Powermatic on a trailer and use it for pressure jobs. I can really crank up the heat on that bugger! It's just sitting at the shop collecting dust.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I think I have it solved. Installed a new pressure relief valve this morn, and ran it up to temp, adjusted the psi on the valve to 2000psi. It held under pressure, so I think the problem was old, fatigued pressure relief valves. I think I'll keep the tile cleaning down to about 1200 psi....tops.

Sure wish there was a Powerclean expert that would check in ocationally, since they are no longer in business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom