Help wanted- where do you find it and what works for you?

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I have an ad in Monster (2 weeks), and on three different local college job sites fore the past week. I don't have even one application. I will try anything, but I won't settle for low end untrainable employees.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I've been noticing locally that job postings are everywhere. Seems like a desirable job seeker would have some solid options with good pay and benefits right now.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
An ad on Monster

Help Wanted
WE need you if your willing to work hard and demand 100% of yourself, we're not looking for just anyone we're only looking only for the best. There is an opportunity with our growing company for people with excellent customer service skills, and a can do attitude. If your average or only above average and if you can't be on time, please don't waste your or our time.
Pros and Cons of this position: Pros: Work with a company and fellow employees with integrity, you will never get in trouble for doing the right thing. Work in different and challenging situations daily- never boring Work with a company and Team that is the best and has a great reputation Able to problem solve and be a hero to our clients Instant gratification, you see the results almost immediately Help people live and work in a healthier environment Your pay is based on your ability to perform, and can increase rapidly if you learn quickly and work hard Work in the nicest homes in Metro Detroit Work on the most expensive furnishings, which can be stressful We train you and supply everything Not just a job, a real profession once you learn it form us Average 45 hours a week and can work more
Cons: You are seldom sure exactly what time you get off, we work at a site until the job gets done, sometimes we're off at 2:00 and sometimes we work till 8:00 or later Can be stressful, we work for demanding clients with expensive furnishings We have to work in the rain, snow, sleet etc... the work gets done in homes and businesses but we must drive to the sites and work to and from the truck to their homes We have to clean up bodily fluids and who know what else Takes up to several years to learn our trade and become proficient We work some Saturdays,
Your duties will also include helping to do the actual cleaning and operate the equipment in all departments. Which include Carpet, Upholstery, Leather, Oriental Rugs, Draperies, Blinds, Shades, Tile, Marble & Stone, and Wood Flooring.
We usually hire people without experience. However, we're willing to interview candidates with past experience if they're willing to follow our extremely high standards. It has been difficult to find people with past experience to follow our demanding procedures without cutting corners or trying to change our systems. If you are unhappy with the lack of professionalism and acceptance of sub par practices. Then we have an opportunity for you.
We have an excellent Production and Scorecard based pay system, ensuring that you can earn what you deserve. The right person with passion will excel in this business; we are only looking for the best.
We have a Franchise Business Model that gives us unparalleled job security in this industry. Our job security is based upon our ability to perform at a very high level, not on the economy. Our business has had steady growth for over 28 years, and is dependent on upholding our reputation. Our niche market is not dependant on the economy, and is expanding. We need someone that understands our position in this market and will do whatever it takes to take care of our clients and our reputation.
Must be motivated by the challenges faced in this industry, we offer excellent pay and benefits. However, we want someone motivated by more than money, who is always willing to do the right thing, and has the highest morals and integrity.
Must have excellent customer service skills, we do what the client wants, (cheerfully). No Smoking Drug free, we test regularly Must have an excellent driving record Must be physically fit Must be able to lift 75-100 pound equipment into vehicles Must be able and willing to move furniture We wear Ties, Our uniforms include collared button down shirts. No visible tattoos No Earrings or piercings No Facial Hair Must have excellent personal hygiene Neat clean appearance (professional) all the time. Punctual, and extremely dependable. (if your not early your late) Must have good Math skill and Reading skills Must be able to read and follow directions Must be able to follow verbal direction. Map reading skills IICRC Certified Master Cleaner, Carpet Inspector, or Instructor a plus. Must be available 6 days a week (45 hour average work week).
Optional, for the ambitious; Some 7 day weeks, evenings and weekends.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's a good ad but I think I found your problem.

Its not the work or the pay or even the long hours...its that the employment is in Detroit. :eekk:
Metro Detroit
:winky:

We have had decent success with the temp agency's. Not Labor Ready but Express Personnel or Key Staffing.
You set the pay and they do background checks and as per your discretion find those individuals that meet your standards.

The good part is you get to see if they are worthy of being on your staff before you are totally committed to them. You don't like that person just call and tell the agency not to send them back.

The temp also has the advantage of seeing if they like the job before he becomes your employee.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Metro Detroit is not Detroit. I believe the metro area is pretty high on national lists of per capita wealth.

That being said, I'm still a fan of Detroit proper. Great place to visit.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I will give Express a call tomorrow and try Craigs List. I was told to stay away from craigs list but it can't hurt.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Don't hold back on them Chet.

Tell them exactly who you are looking for. We always tell them we don't want to look at anyone they themselves would feel uncomfortable with having in their own home.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I think I do come across that way, we used to get plenty of applicants but seldom qualified. Most prospects think this is a dead end job.

Name
Nate W.
We tried something new after a recent employee retirement. We were looking for a mature, clean cut, non smoker. We ran an ad on the local talk radio station. Hired a 52 year old retired prison guard, 6' 4", 250lb. Doubles as Mr. Bill Collector & my body guard.:rockon:

Fixed it for you.... :lol:

I'd ask if your employee's know of qualified people who want to work....

Reactions: ronbeatty

Chris A

Name
Chris
I live in a college town so maybe that's why but I've always had good applicants come through Craig's, I just usually pick the wrong one

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Grammar and spelling errors....so many that a really sharp prospect would find themselves annoyed and avoid applying. A prospect with good reading skills, which you required, would recognize that the author of the ad may be lacking in those skills.

Way too long. Repetitive. Hard to read.

90% of the qualifications you list are things to be discussed at interview, and some should not be so set in stone...you make it sound like a joyless, rigid place to work.

Emphasize that you are a stable, long-standing company, looking for quality, motivated, long-term people to be part of a friendly, service oriented business with room to grow and tackle new skills and responsibilities.

Your ad should be no more than 4-5 sentences TOPS. It should be positive. Remove negative references.

I'm sure Meg will have more to add, but you said LET YOU HAVE IT....

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Hagopian and Modernistic already snagged all the literate inhabitants.

Consider using gang hand signals to get you message through.

Sorry, I feel for ya.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Grammar and spelling errors....so many that a really sharp prospect would find themselves annoyed and avoid applying. A prospect with good reading skills, which you required, would recognize that the author of the ad may be lacking in those skills.

Way too long. Repetitive. Hard to read.

90% of the qualifications you list are things to be discussed at interview, and some should not be so set in stone...you make it sound like a joyless, rigid place to work.

Emphasize that you are a stable, long-standing company, looking for quality, motivated, long-term people to be part of a friendly, service oriented business with room to grow and tackle new skills and responsibilities.

Your ad should be no more than 4-5 sentences TOPS. It should be positive. Remove negative references.

I'm sure Meg will have more to add, but you said LET YOU HAVE IT....

Take care,
Lisa

Wow... Lisa you pretty much summed up all I was going to say. As I just posted, I'll dig in to it more when I can look at it on my computer screen.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
An ad on Monster

Help Wanted
WE need you if your willing to work hard and demand 100% of yourself, we're not looking for just anyone we're only looking only for the best. There is an opportunity with our growing company for people with excellent customer service skills, and a can do attitude. If your average or only above average and if you can't be on time, please don't waste your or our time.
Pros and Cons of this position: Pros: Work with a company and fellow employees with integrity, you will never get in trouble for doing the right thing. Work in different and challenging situations daily- never boring Work with a company and Team that is the best and has a great reputation Able to problem solve and be a hero to our clients Instant gratification, you see the results almost immediately Help people live and work in a healthier environment Your pay is based on your ability to perform, and can increase rapidly if you learn quickly and work hard Work in the nicest homes in Metro Detroit Work on the most expensive furnishings, which can be stressful We train you and supply everything Not just a job, a real profession once you learn it form us Average 45 hours a week and can work more
Cons: You are seldom sure exactly what time you get off, we work at a site until the job gets done, sometimes we're off at 2:00 and sometimes we work till 8:00 or later Can be stressful, we work for demanding clients with expensive furnishings We have to work in the rain, snow, sleet etc... the work gets done in homes and businesses but we must drive to the sites and work to and from the truck to their homes We have to clean up bodily fluids and who know what else Takes up to several years to learn our trade and become proficient We work some Saturdays,
Your duties will also include helping to do the actual cleaning and operate the equipment in all departments. Which include Carpet, Upholstery, Leather, Oriental Rugs, Draperies, Blinds, Shades, Tile, Marble & Stone, and Wood Flooring.
We usually hire people without experience. However, we're willing to interview candidates with past experience if they're willing to follow our extremely high standards. It has been difficult to find people with past experience to follow our demanding procedures without cutting corners or trying to change our systems. If you are unhappy with the lack of professionalism and acceptance of sub par practices. Then we have an opportunity for you.
We have an excellent Production and Scorecard based pay system, ensuring that you can earn what you deserve. The right person with passion will excel in this business; we are only looking for the best.
We have a Franchise Business Model that gives us unparalleled job security in this industry. Our job security is based upon our ability to perform at a very high level, not on the economy. Our business has had steady growth for over 28 years, and is dependent on upholding our reputation. Our niche market is not dependant on the economy, and is expanding. We need someone that understands our position in this market and will do whatever it takes to take care of our clients and our reputation.
Must be motivated by the challenges faced in this industry, we offer excellent pay and benefits. However, we want someone motivated by more than money, who is always willing to do the right thing, and has the highest morals and integrity.
Must have excellent customer service skills, we do what the client wants, (cheerfully). No Smoking Drug free, we test regularly Must have an excellent driving record Must be physically fit Must be able to lift 75-100 pound equipment into vehicles Must be able and willing to move furniture We wear Ties, Our uniforms include collared button down shirts. No visible tattoos No Earrings or piercings No Facial Hair Must have excellent personal hygiene Neat clean appearance (professional) all the time. Punctual, and extremely dependable. (if your not early your late) Must have good Math skill and Reading skills Must be able to read and follow directions Must be able to follow verbal direction. Map reading skills IICRC Certified Master Cleaner, Carpet Inspector, or Instructor a plus. Must be available 6 days a week (45 hour average work week).
Optional, for the ambitious; Some 7 day weeks, evenings and weekends.

Chet,

It's too wordy. Try something that has about 20% of those words. Get lot's of white space by using bullet points too. Most kids nowadays are used to quick, get to the point type stuff and would not take the time to read the ad. I know I didn't... :icon_redface:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
@Chet - remember you asked for it.

Lisa covered most of what I planned to say, but I'll recap and add.

• Way too long. I got to the 3-4 sentence and wanted to stop, but it was like a car crash scene...I had to keep going just to see how it would end.
  • Think of who you are trying to reach and what THEY would respond to. This post was written by the perspective of YOUR needs. You have to make it about, and enticing to, them.
  • "Help Wanted". Is that REALLY what you want, just some "help"? No one wants to be "help". They want to feel like a part of a team, important, that they have a future.
  • "WE need you if your "- should be you're. You don't want anyone that is average or only above average, and demand they conform to "our extremely high standards" then you can't expect to get that kind of applicant with below average grammar. The you've/your example is one of many through the whole posting.
  • As Lisa already noted, much of what you listed are things to be covered in the job interview, not in the posting. You are scaring them off (if they even bothered to read it) to the point that no one is responding.
  • You need a more succinct posting, then a process to screen the applicants over the phone. Then an initial meeting/inteveiw. Then a working interview. Here's how we do it. I will screen people on the phone that call. I usually know within the first 30 second if they are a immediate no, yes or maybe. If they send an resume and the make it to the yes pile, then I call them. Same thing with in first 30 seconds. By the end of the phone conversation I end with one of two things. 'The next step is a brief interview and to fill out an application, would you be interested?" Or, "Thank you for your interest, we've received a large response to to our ad and the next step will be for us to invite people in to fill out an application and have an interview. WE will contact you if we want to bring you in for an in person interivew." (Since our shop is on our personal property, when we do meet, I meet at a local market that has a cafe/coffee shop inside. Depending on how many people, I set up 1/2 hour times or I just conduct an open house type thing where they come to fill out an application and I can meet them in person or do group interview).
  • The people that you are describing that you want, all ready have jobs!!! That is why they aren't in the market for one. These kind of people need to be wooed, lured and recruited from their current jobs.
I'll send you the post we use. Try it and see what happens. Best of luck!

Meg

Last edited:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
What do you think of the (excellent) feed back?
Pretty impressive stuff from this little "biker bar" group, Chet. I mostly agree with everything Lisa and Meg said.

Your description of the job is dead-on. BUT I would dial back on the negativity in the ad. (You can add it later.) Recruiting and hiring employees is much like a courtship. You don't dump all your negative baggage on the girl BEFORE your first date.

Steve

PS My very best hiring tip is to view "recruiting" as a "process, not an event". You should constantly be looking for people that impress you as they serve you in their current job- then mention they should give you a call. Maintaining a file of pre-screened, pre-interviewed applicants waiting for my call let me sleep much better at night. The sad fact is that most (not all) people who are unemployed and searching for a job are unemployed for a very good reason!

Oh, and Chet, if you still need help with your ad copy writing I know of an unemployed ICS columnist! :(

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Lisa, Meg, Steve nailed it!

Today's Millennial population wants a place where they feel needed, wanted, and where their input is valued and considered. They want to be part of the team! If you can provide a fun and creative place to work, where they'll feel that they matter, their pay rate will be secondary.

When I read your job posting, I felt like I was being ordered to apply and like it. Also, I felt whipped with a "My way or the Highway" type of employer. I lost interest halfway through the first paragraph.... Plus, I saw way too many words in the posting. Six day work week and 45 hours + per week, evenings and weekends? That's a big turn off. People have a life, and this may pave the way to an early burnout, and higher turnover for you. I may be wrong?

Remember, you are recruiting, not hiring. That means you're selling a great place for people to grow and work in their career. Keep your eye out for a young bright eyed clerk in a store, or shop you visit. If they impress you, give them your card. (Walmart used to do that!).

Anyway, that's what the post said to me when I read it.

Good luck!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like to save time and just shoot them straight.

We have plenty of hard, dirty, undesirable work and it comes 24/7/365. You'll be On Call 24/7 for one week every 5-weeks and expected to arrive at our shop within 30-minutes. You'll also have to be clean cut and clean shaven with no piercings or crazy obnoxious tattoos. Its not personal but is what is expected by the clientele we serve.

I'm often amazed at a good candidate that is on board up until its time to cut his hair or beard. :oldrolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom