Help with cigarette smoke residue stains

John Downey

Yesterday I encountered something I hadn't seen before. Cigarette smoke resifue seemed to have redyed a carpet. Per the photo, the bottom left is the apparent color of the carpet, the top left more or less the orifinal color (it was under a rug). The right-hand side reflects the results after my cleaning attempt (top right was severely stained, the bottom right had been like the the bottom left). I used a SaigerCide deodorizing prespray, dual-cylindrical brush agitation, and flush/extracted using a Steamin Demon.

Does anyone know of a product I could use that would break down the residue? I was thinking about trying a mild ammonia solution (fiber is nylon) or perhaps a solvent (maybe citrus?). Other thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_7916.jpg

hogjowl

Idiot™
I’ve never encountered it that bad in the floor plane but I have on multiple occasions as filtration soil. I’ve been able to remove it using Bio-8 and a filtration edge tool.
Having said that, let me explain that I’m not certain it’s necessary to use Bio-8. I think the focused heat and pinpoint pressure of the edging tool may have played the most important role in the equation. It’s difficult for ANYONE to replicate that cleaning approach while cleaning open areas of carpet but especially for you using a Demon. Plus, your CRB doesn’t have the weight necessary to give sufficient agitation.
I realize I’m not giving you much help here but I don’t think you’re adequately tooled to correct this situation. If it can be corrected at all.

Reactions: John Downey

Matt Perretti

Name
matthew perretti
With floors in that bad of condition, I cant imagine what the walls, ceilings, duct work etc looks like.... I remember cleaning for an elderly woman for a few years, she would smoke like a chimney every time I cleaned.. I always went with some Saigers Code red and some booster.. I could always get the look I was trying to achieve but the smell was so apparent before and after cleanings she always understood this is a band-aid over a bullet wound!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
High pH will be your friend John.

Use your nuke of choice, and if compatible, boost it will ammonia. It will stink of course, but ammonia is great for breaking nicotine bonds.

If there is still staining present, and IF the job pays enough and is worth it to the customer, you can use something with an oxidizing booster.

I'm not thinking the value of the carpet is going to warrant all of this, but technically this works.

John Downey

I’ve never encountered it that bad in the floor plane but I have on multiple occasions as filtration soil. I’ve been able to remove it using Bio-8 and a filtration edge tool.
Having said that, let me explain that I’m not certain it’s necessary to use Bio-8. I think the focused heat and pinpoint pressure of the edging tool may have played the most important role in the equation. It’s difficult for ANYONE to replicate that cleaning approach while cleaning open areas of carpet but especially for you using a Demon. Plus, your CRB doesn’t have the weight necessary to give sufficient agitation.
I realize I’m not giving you much help here but I don’t think you’re adequately tooled to correct this situation. If it can be corrected at all.
With floors in that bad of condition, I cant imagine what the walls, ceilings, duct work etc looks like.... I remember cleaning for an elderly woman for a few years, she would smoke like a chimney every time I cleaned.. I always went with some Saigers Code red and some booster.. I could always get the look I was trying to achieve but the smell was so apparent before and after cleanings she always understood this is a band-aid over a bullet wound!
By the time I got there the walls and ceiling and ductwork had been restored (she showed me a pic of someone using a squeegee as a preliminary step on the wall). This accrued over the course of 15 years. I suspect the stain is "baked in" or made permanent by oxidation by now, but if there is a chemical that can dissolve or liquify the tar, maybe....?

Last edited:

John Downey

High pH will be your friend John.

Use your nuke of choice, and if compatible, boost it will ammonia. It will stink of course, but ammonia is great for breaking nicotine bonds.

If there is still staining present, and IF the job pays enough and is worth it to the customer, you can use something with an oxidizing booster.

I'm not thinking the value of the carpet is going to warrant all of this, but technically this works.
Thanks, Jim. Ammonia has been my thought also. She inherited the house and plans to rent it out. She doesn't expect a perfect result and doesn't want to replace the carpet for the renters to trash. I think I'll stop by and do a little test using ammonia. If the result looks promising, I'll double my usual price, which is probably still not enough, but I enjoy challenges.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
unless the formulation has changed in 15 years, I've never found anything to emulsify nicotine better that this
(that includes many "professional" smoke/nicotine juices)
Noting worked better

1724350180733.png

dilute 4 to 1 for stain*
*'cause as bad as that carpet is, you'll NEVER get rid of the odor 100%

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Always had luck with purple power and 40 vol peroxide for a prespray

Latest posts

Back