Here is another one .

Luky

Name
Mario
I don't mind signing the contract if the contract has reasonable stipulations. I wouldn't say I liked this one to start with. We're still going forth and back with the appendix, removing questionable paragraphs.
It seems that the prospect wants to be protected, and so do I. One thing is to provide signs that are" slippery when wet," and another is to be liable for not removing all the stains and anything that happens while I'm not on the premises.
The job consists of 26 steps and four landings per entrance, 14 entries in four high-end condo buildings.
How do you deal with cases like that? Are you patient and work with the other party to agree or move to the next one?

20230508_113158.jpg

Name
Swani
Wow! I've never seen any property managers be that in depth. Usually they just ask if you steam clean and that's good enough.

Anti wicking can that be a rinse or does it need to be something like spot stop?

Luky

Name
Mario
Wow! I've never seen any property managers be that in depth. Usually they just ask if you steam clean and that's good enough.

Anti wicking can that be a rinse or does it need to be something like spot stop?
I think, an acidic rinse would satisfy their quest for perfection; the carpet is barely soiled, with no stains or spills. This is not the apartment building's smelly and dingy torn-up carpeting, but I do not want to get caught up in any turbulence while on the job. Also contract calls for twice a year cleaning, and I want to have an option for price modification. I added $50 per entrance for vacuuming, so they already omitted the vacuum part from the contract. I don't mind vacuuming, but their requirements are crazy; since those are open steps, they wanted vacuuming done all around the surface, two bull noses and the bottom of the step as well. What Am I, cliffhanger?

Reactions: Living The Dream

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I don't mind signing the contract if the contract has reasonable stipulations. I wouldn't say I liked this one to start with. We're still going forth and back with the appendix, removing questionable paragraphs.
It seems that the prospect wants to be protected, and so do I. One thing is to provide signs that are" slippery when wet," and another is to be liable for not removing all the stains and anything that happens while I'm not on the premises.
The job consists of 26 steps and four landings per entrance, 14 entries in four high-end condo buildings.
How do you deal with cases like that? Are you patient and work with the other party to agree or move to the next one?

View attachment 122383

My guess is that a competitor wrote the specifications with the clear purpose of making it difficult for anyone else to get the job. That could either be someone who has the job and wants to keep it, or someone trying to get the job off of you by creating difficult benchmarks.

The wording has a lot of "insider lingo" terms that I can't imagine a manager dreamed up.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
That contract is lame...An works against it self...An you ! In one word tell them Nope ! Lose em...The wording has a lot of "insider lingo" terms that I can't imagine a manager dreamed up.-Bingo !!!

Reactions: Luky
Name
Swani
Tell them you want to remove all that and replace it with something like this.

Quality of Services:
The Contractor agrees to perform all carpet cleaning services in a professional and workman like manner, using equipment and materials that are appropriate for the job. The Contractor shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards in the performance of its services.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I wouldn't sign anything and just leave an estimate with the pricing.
Take it or leave it. And I am assuming price will win out in the end : )

Wisdom from the Heartland....

Those managers are rated on how they control costs, and if your price is lower, the guy who did all the leg work to create that unsurmountable list of requirements might be surprised how little they mean when the bottom line is significantly different.

You have nothing to lose but a little time, as long as your price is one that pays you what you are worth of course.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Lines e-f-g offend me...Every one alive knows stains occur sometimes they are permanent damage to the aesthetics. Anti -Wicking agents ask him what he prefers .Im guessing a duh expression will follow. What assurance of correct maintenance vacuuming will they give you ? Hmmm full bag cannisters and idiots going through motions. Pft -sorry toss that . Upfront paying jobs over demands and waiting for payment...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

View attachment 122383
A TEEMFR must've worded that contract. Pre-treating stained carpet is stupid. First: a stain isn't removable
And these idiots need to quit pre-treating. They're just TREATING the SPOTS! FKING doofs

Sign the idiot contract and price it well. Educate them while you're signing so they know that you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Luky

Name
Mario
My guess is that a competitor wrote the specifications with the clear purpose of making it difficult for anyone else to get the job. That could either be someone who has the job and wants to keep it, or someone trying to get the job off of you by creating difficult benchmarks.

The wording has a lot of "insider lingo" terms that I can't imagine a manager dreamed up.
Thank you, your opinion matters. It's been three days of going forth and back negotiating the contract, and they removed all the paragraphs that I had a problem with, including work comp( I'm operating as a sole proprietor) I believe the only thing keeping me in the game is the price.
The job itself is not a problem; the logistics of it are. I have to position my van in a way that will obstruct access to four out of six garages ( twice), or I can opt to do the job in two days.
I'm confident that I can handle the job to the satisfaction of the client, but I'm thinking of passing the job to avoid hassle and possible retribution from whoever has the interest vested. The only downside is not having to clean 12 entrances twice a year.

Thanks

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Luky

Name
Mario
Tell them you want to remove all that and replace it with something like this.

Quality of Services:
The Contractor agrees to perform all carpet cleaning services in a professional and workman like manner, using equipment and materials that are appropriate for the job. The Contractor shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards in performing its services.
I gave them a copy of my work contract - an invoice that clearly stated that I'm not responsible for any damages related to cleaning, including water damage or any discoloration that may occur after applying pre-spray( as a reaction to spotters used by the janitorial crew or leftover chemistry left from different cleaning methods( e.g., encap). Sometimes walking away means protecting ourselves, especially when there is an abundance of the other options.

FredC

Village Idiot
Is there more to the contract than posted?

Am I the only one that thinks this is reasonable and light on stipulations?

Reactions: Hack Attack

Luky

Name
Mario
A TEEMFR must've worded that contract. Pre-treating stained carpet is stupid. First: a stain isn't removable
And these idiots need to quit pre-treating. They're just TREATING the SPOTS! FKING doofs

Sign the idiot contract and price it well. Educate them while you're signing so they know that you know what you're doing.
I'm thinking to do the job; my CEO( wife) said to run.

Luky

Name
Mario
Is there more to the contract than posted?

Am I the only one that thinks this is reasonable and light on stipulations?
There is a paragraph calling for heavy-duty agitation equipment. I'm not bringing 90 - 150 lb OP.
Maybe I'm overthinking the matter, or should I man up and do it?
There is a comparison process going in the mind of the average carpet cleaner; do I make easy $$ in the home of a trusted residential customer, or should I jump through the hoops for more money with a possible quarrel with the management company with a bunch of lawyers at the
helm?
I'll rather be an average Joe.

FredC

Village Idiot
There is a paragraph calling for heavy-duty agitation equipment. I'm not bringing 90 - 150 lb OP.
Maybe I'm overthinking the matter, or should I man up and do it?
There is a comparison process going in the mind of the average carpet cleaner; do I make easy $$ in the home of a trusted residential customer, or should I jump through the hoops for more money with a possible quarrel with the management company with a bunch of lawyers at the
helm?
I'll rather be an average Joe.

I might ask for clarification of "heavy duty" (maybe the last guy did it with a carpet rake) but the expectation that the traffic area be pre-scrubbed is not unreasonable. And as our Kiwi friend Dan said is probably a result of them hearing "oh those areas needed to be prescrubbed" in the past

or possibly them looking up how to best care for the carpet through the IICRC or manufacturer

this is literally nothing contract wise imo....don't psyche yourself out of consistent work (as long as it's profitable)....there are ones you definitely should walk from but I don't see any indication that this is one. You're going in with their expectations clear

Last edited:

Luky

Name
Mario
I might ask for clarification of "heavy duty" but the expectation that the traffic area be pre-scrubbed is not unreasonable. And as our Kiwi friend Dan said is probably a result of them hearing "oh those areas needed to be prescrubbed" in the past

or possibly them looking up how to best care for the carpet through the IICRC or manufacturer

this is literally nothing contract wise imo....don't psyche yourself out of a job....there are ones you definitely should walk from, but I don't see any indication that this is one
The job has to be completed between June 12- 15; if not, a 10 % penalty will be imposed on the contractor ( me). I'll keep everyone posted and share my experience.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The job has to be completed between June 12- 15; if not, a 10 % penalty will be imposed on the contractor ( me). I'll keep everyone posted and share my experience.

Carpet cleaners just not showing up is so common that sometimes people will book multiple cleaners for the same job at the same time because of their bad experiences.

Its confusing when more than one shows up, but usually they just get one.

I also had a guy come to me to get into the cleaning business who gave me this as his reason:

"I managed a large store and could never get a carpet cleaner to show up for an estimate. Once I got lucky enough to get one, they rarely showed up to clean. These guys must make big money to be able to get away with this"

I told him it was more a matter of many of them being unemployable people who have a lack of organization and accountability in their natures.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Carpet cleaners just not showing up is so common that sometimes people will book multiple cleaners for the same job at the same time because of their bad experiences.

Its confusing when more than one shows up, but usually they just get one.

I also had a guy come to me to get into the cleaning business who gave me this as his reason:

"I managed a large store and could never get a carpet cleaner to show up for an estimate. Once I got lucky enough to get one, they rarely showed up to clean. These guys must make big money to be able to get away with this"

I told him it was more a matter of many of them being unemployable people who have a lack of organization and accountability in their natures.
Carpet cleaners aren’t the only one

Handyman carpenters, construction carpenters are just as bad. I’ve been stood up a few times

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom