Here's a Live one - See What happened with the Help given ..

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
OK, let's see who can save this job. I am not cutting my prices to their level. I haven't quoted a job over the internet in months, but I said what said what the heck on this one.

How would you save this job based on this email exchange. I will pick one, and if the custy changes his mind then Mikey will send you a set of monkey pads............No really, I will send them something decent. :lol:

Here is the exchange: Last email to first email..............

Thanks.. I decided to go with Stanley Steemer.
Thanks

> To:
> Subject: Re: Carpet cleaning
> From: contact@surfacesolve.com
> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:16:20 +0000
>
> Brian,
>
> We are booked on Monday now, but could still schedule you for Tuesday.
>
> Is there a time on Tuesday that would be more convenient for you?
>

From: "SurfaceSolve Floor Care" <contact@surfacesolve.com>

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:37:53
To:
Subject: Re: Carpet cleaning

That makes sense, because we also strive for the same objective of providing the best result for an excellent value. Cheap in this industry usually leads to problems.

Based on that sq footage we could provide a full service clean and reapplication of carpet protector for $280 - 300. We could a full service clean (which is explained on our website) only for $180 - 200.

We are not cheapest, but we do provide an excellent product and value for the price. Our method will provide a longer time in between cleanings based on normal wear activity, as opposed to other companies.
We would be able to schedule this either Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Thanks for thinking of us.

>
> ------Original Message------
> From:
> To: SurfaceSolve Floor Care
> Sent: Mar 17, 2009 3:14 PM
>
> My house is about 1250 sq ft so I would maybe guess 700 is carpet although part is under furniture that will not be moved.
>
> I'm just searching for good price and company that is reliable and good. Preferably find someone to do before next wk Wednesday
>
> Thanks
> Brian
> Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: SurfaceSolve Floor Care <contact@surfacesolve.com>
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:09:11
> To:
>
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> We charge via sq ft
>
> Do you have any idea on the sq footage of the areas mentioned?
>
> Is there anything other than price that would be of importance to you?
>
> Thank you
>
>
> ------Original Message------
> From:
> To: Contact@SurfaceSolve.com
> Sent: Mar 17, 2009 2:54 PM
> Subject: Carpet cleaning
>
> I live in new tampa and am looking to have carpets cleaned. I have 3 bedrooms and then a living room and dining room combination.
>
> Can you give me some type of estimate?
>
> Thanks
> Brian
> Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel
>
>
>
> SurfaceSolve Floor Care
> 813-263-6465
> http://www.SurfaceSolve.com <http://www.SurfaceSolve.com>
>
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>
>
> SurfaceSolve Floor Care
> 813-263-6465
> http://www.SurfaceSolve.com
>
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Re: Here's a Live one - who can HELP me save this quote

So they decided to go with a co. based on price, rather than based on who was reliable and good?

I might ask them how soon they needed the carpet to be dry, since SS around here takes 24 hours or more.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier

That is why I don't put much stock in the internet, seems like just another avenue for the price shopper, I have more stories like that then I have for the ones I have got

this week I have bid a 44,000 sq ft hilton hotel that included everything from the drapes to the couch to the mattress

a 400 sq ft T&G cleaning with sealing the grout plus cleaning/color sealing the 40 sq ft shower floor and cleaning the shower walls. The guy had a totally restored 71 pantera in the garage with 24,000 miles on it along with 2 different mercedes and a bmw and lives in a secluded area on top of the hill
he about crapped when I gave him the bid which wasn't that unreasonable

a 6X9 IKEA area rug with cat urine that they want pit washed pick up and deliver for $160

going to look at a wood floor in an up scale salon on Friday, probably a waste of time there also

Name
Bill Soukoreff

When someone phones me for quote, I get 9 out of 10. When they email me or use my online form, that drops dramatically.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C

He is not really my type of customer, but I hate to lose any at this point.

I wanted a good 2 or 3 line response that didn't knock SS too bad but made the point of what we do and SS do is apples and oranges.

Name
I'm Rick James

You might not get this one **this time**.

Tell them thanks for inquiring into your services. Here is what my quote would be on approx 700 sq ft of carpet xxx. That includes blah, blah, blah. We have no hidden charges. We do off you a 100% guarantee on the work performed and also offer quick dry times. If you need our services in the future or have any questions regarding your cleaning please give me a call, I am more than happy to help. We hope to do business with you in the future.

Have a good day

boazcan (local player)

Leave them with a good positive impression of your company. They may tell a friend, change their minds about steemer or use you in the future. Its never a good idea to bad mouth other companies. Maybe add more value of your company to what I wrote.

M

Mr Carpet

Better to lead the discussion to "cleaning value" instead of letting the client drift to price.

Stanley may win the price war. But, they don't stand a chance in cleaning value. What would you rather want? A cleaner that cares about the job. Or one that wants to see how fast you can get done to move on to the next one?

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen

Oops I just realized I never gave you a price. We charge ------ per ft2. Measure the length x width of each room and multiply times my rate will give you an exact price. Is it a good price, I don't know what that means. Most of the companies I know that give a "good price" are the most expensive because they rush through each job, not cleaning properly, and charge for little more than wetting your carpet. The term "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.
I will give you a good value. My procedure is ---------- and you get all that for only ------. I am also the owner of this business and will be on the job. As the owner it is in my best interest to make you happy with my work so you will use me again and refer me to your friends, that is how I build my business. Please call me at _____ to discuss you job.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

If you want to pay for quantity..then you made the right choice....But if your looking for quality...then you should consider having me come out....

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Bryan,

Just to let you know...I am located 5 miles from this job-site..........
But because you are a member of this board. I will give tell you EXACTLY
how to close this JOB.

First they are probably using the New Port Richey SS....Very poorly operated
franchise & they bid on a Church that is one of my clients.....their bid when
broken down was .13 cents a sq.ft......."They must be STARVING"

All you have to do to land this job is....Tell your PRICE SHOPPER to ask
SS if they would mind offering a SIDE-BY-SIDE demonstration with another
cleaner.....Tell your customer to tell SS that they would like to compare the
RESULTS prior to committing to the job.

You & SS are to be scheduled at the same time...This is to assure that the VICTOR
would not have wasted their time.... They have FAILED to show-up TWICE in my
challanges!!!!!! SELL YOU SKILLS / NOT YOUR PRICE !!!!!

I realize many Companies feel that the type of SERVICE is a waste of TIME & MONEY.
But "I AM A SHOW ME GUY" If a service wants my business they had DAMN WELL be
willing show me the final product....before I pay .... I am not concerned with how good
they THINK they are!!!!!!!!

After your customer is CHASTIZED by SS for INSULTING their national reputation :x :x :x
They will probably cancel altogether with SS....And award you the job for looking out for them.

PS If they accept, You should be able to win the job anyway....If not thank the client for
the oppertunity perform the demo. "And MOST OF ALL" congradulate ss TECHs for their win...

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

I would have moved on myself if that was the exchange. He clearly asked for a price and didn't get anything about it. I agree it is important to address other things, which were also not done (though I would never put down any competition), however he asked a specific question and got no information he could use, other than we can come out next Tuesday.

I see no way to save this job at this point but I do see it as a learning experience. Remember we are only legends in our own minds~ prospects usually don't know didly about our industry and certainly not about a specific business within oit unless they are a referral. These unsolicited prospects can be golden if handled humbly and with respect.

Ken

boazcan

Name
Bryan C

sorry, I was missing one of the emails where I gave the price.................stupido...........it should make better sense for you now. Time for another drink.

RickL

I have found on every quote lately the two main concerns have been my protection of their wood floors, furniture, etc and will I be there doing the work.
I have done five quotes over the past couple days and everytime that has been brought up.
Just seems to be mentioned more then usual.
Two even mentioned damage by other cleaners .
If you are in fact an owner/op i would play that up big.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo

It's just carpet cleaning. They want it done without hassels and fast. SS will clean the carpet and since he probably doesn't get them done often he won't have anything to compare to and probably use them again. Though the side by side was mentioned, I don't thik this guy is going to deal with it.

Personally I would'nt come to a carpet cleaning shootout for a residential unless it was a huge home. And even then I would'nt agree to do it at the same time as the other guy. I'd feel the homeowner has all the control and laughing at both of us inside, screw that.

Albert

boazcan

Name
Bryan C

I know what you are saying, I just wanted to have some fun. I was trying to show some passion for the cleaning. I have done some jobs over the past few weeks that I would have blown off 5 months ago. Those jobs lead to other referrals, quotes, etc. The money is not the issue as the potential aftermath is the winner. I am sure he is laughing. I have no shame in trying to make money.

I have done $4000 this week in tile work. If it was up to me, I would never touch a carpet again if I didn't have to. As a matter of fact, I may go 10 days without cleaning a carpet. I kinda like the other things I can do.

I hate to lose a sale. Been selling all my life, and just hate to lose it to another when I know very few if any will treat him like I will.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

I'd do the side by side just for shits and giggles. Hell what do you have to lose? I think it would be hilarious to show up with the big truck and pull out a vacuum when they try to go straight to cleaning.. or like harper said, doesn't show up!

If you were doing this for fun, might as well as follow through with as much fun as you can get. Hell you may even make the ignorant consumer understand the differnce in value. And that may lead to future business and referels.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

EXACTLY David,

We make it our business to know our competion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guys get PUMPED-UP when they have a chance to SMOKE the Franchises....

Our DEMO challange has been advertized for about 1 year.............
We wiped-out 3 of our closest compeditors on 1 DEMO....It was a local
GARDEN CLUB building....The refferals have been tremendous!!!!!!!!

Our price was 30% higher than the highest BIDDER...My guys take a lot of
Pride in there work. We are the TARGET for alot of negative comments from
our competation, BECAUSE of our higher price's. The men are not allowed to
comment poorly of any competator......

So the DEMO gives them the TOOL to RETALIATE.......The guys LOVE to park
the truck right beside them when they are at the 7-11...And never pass-up the
chance to WAVE to them when they are on the road...as they turn their heads in SHAME.

Albert makes my point about FRANCHISE arrogance!!! I see in his bio that he is a CHEM-LIE guy.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo

A side by side demo is just not for me Horper. Seems like an arm wrestling contest, the strongest guy wins. I'll gladly do it on a big com. job like your building but why the faceoff. That's what MF is for. You clean yours they clean theirs, customer sees results, no need for a wrestling match. Glad it works for you though.

Albert

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Albert,

I can only assume that is not for you because ....you are supported by a National
advertising campaign. I am sure that you run a top-notch franchise...BUT some of the
MOST DISHONEST PROPAGANDA about truckmounted steam cleaning has been spewed
forth from your parent company. I understand that the properganda was to sell against
SS......BUT it has now become a way of marketing against all HWE methods.....

The whole CONCEPT of the "BULLSHIT" low moisture process....is a CHEM-LIE!!!!!!!!
Why even run a (RX20) at 200 PSI ?????? Worse than that the residue left by this
method is horrible.....The SOAP left in a 250 sq ft room can CHOKE down a 120 gal.
waste tank with FOAM....Nice thing is you certainly don't need hardly any PRE-SPRAY
there is more than enough left from the previous cleaning.

Please do not take this post personally..."NOT MY INTENION". But to level-the-feild
Independant Operators have to perform DEMOS to educate the public of the deceptive
advertizing of most FRANCHISES..... The BIGGEST differance between I.O's and a franchise
you BOUGHT your name...."WE MAKE OURS"

ps The reason for the SIDE-BY-SIDE demo is to allow the cleint see all performances at
one time...Not 3 or 4 seperate appnt. times. YOU WIN...YOU CLEAN .....RIGHT THEN...

If they are SSSKKKEEEEEERRDD ! They won't show anyway.....
And by the way the cleint "SHOULD HAVE CONTROL its their money......

Chads

Supportive Member

I didnt have time to rad most of this thread but all I can say is ,
"Not all carpet cleaners are created and clean equal "

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael

there are a few good franchises franchises out here but not many. i have done this challenge thing and they both times i won but it really has not led to any refferrals but i do have a steady customer that now cleans her carpets every three months.

T

tokmik

So they decided to go with a co. based on price, rather than based on who was reliable and good?

I might ask them how soon they needed the carpet to be dry, since SS around here takes 24 hours or more.

Chandler Carpet Cleaning

Farenheit251

A 1250 sq ft home is pretty small. My first house was that size and after paying the bills I only had a few hundred dollars in discretionary income each month. Whatever I saved getting my builders grade carpet cleaned went to other luxuries like food.
This customer is outside your target demographics and you are just being too competitive to think you can win everytime. I keep having a vision of an Outback Steakhouse manager trying to take customers from the Mcdonalds drive through.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L

Two janitors (In the customers eyes) fighting to see who is better on a demo.

How silly.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo

Albert,

I can only assume that is not for you because ....you are supported by a National
advertising campaign. I am sure that you run a top-notch franchise...BUT some of the
MOST DISHONEST PROPAGANDA about truckmounted steam cleaning has been spewed
forth from your parent company. I understand that the properganda was to sell against
SS......BUT it has now become a way of marketing against all HWE methods.....

The whole CONCEPT of the "BULLSHIT" low moisture process....is a CHEM-LIE!!!!!!!!
Why even run a (RX20) at 200 PSI ?????? Worse than that the residue left by this
method is horrible.....The SOAP left in a 250 sq ft room can CHOKE down a 120 gal.
waste tank with FOAM....Nice thing is you certainly don't need hardly any PRE-SPRAY
there is more than enough left from the previous cleaning.

Please do not take this post personally..."NOT MY INTENION". But to level-the-feild
Independant Operators have to perform DEMOS to educate the public of the deceptive
advertizing of most FRANCHISES..... The BIGGEST differance between I.O's and a franchise
you BOUGHT your name...."WE MAKE OURS"

ps The reason for the SIDE-BY-SIDE demo is to allow the cleint see all performances at
one time...Not 3 or 4 seperate appnt. times. YOU WIN...YOU CLEAN .....RIGHT THEN...

If they are SSSKKKEEEEEERRDD ! They won't show anyway.....
And by the way the cleint "SHOULD HAVE CONTROL its their money......

It is a known fact that mold will grow within 20 minutes after steam cleaning. Chem-Dry water is holly and those rules do not apply. I was sworn to (whatever that saying is) to preach this to all my potential customers. Shee, don't you know anything. Oh wait, it's all in the CD bible so you wouln't have that info.

Albert

Name
Bill Soukoreff

For some people, price is more important than anything else we need to respect that.

I rarely clean rentals as the people living there just want it to look better, but they don't want to "invest" in the caring for the carpet.

If I sense that price is more important than anything else, I refer them to large multi-truck outfit that does a bit better than the others.

I don't want won't customers who later will still have a nagging doubt that they spent too much. They usually thanks me and say will keep my number for when they own their own home or pass it on to others who want quality.

I feel better, and they are happy.

Do owner operators really need to chase down every lead? We don't need that many customers overall.

That's why I like an online quote page with a telephone number optional. I find price shoppers will use the form, where others who are actually interested in what I do, give me a call.

Saves a lot of time on the phone.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

If I did a side by side demo they would go, Are you going to clean with that? as I bring in my vacuum.
Then as I sow the client what the other guys didn't get out before they got it wet, they'll be pulling their hoses out.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Re: Here's a Live one - What happened from the HELP given ......

Here is the rest of the story.

Thanks to Harper, and some bits from others.......you can see the how worked out below. We won't get rich off of him, but maybe he knows the facility manager at the building he works at. You never know.

Lunch of your choice Harper. Let me know when you want to go.

Thanks to all who participated. It was a good learning experience.

Sounds great

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

-----Original Message-----

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:31:30
To:

Thank you.

Tuesday morning at 9am would work for us.

SurfaceSolve Floor Care
813-263-6465
http://www.SurfaceSolve.com <http://www.SurfaceSolve.com>

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:57:31
To: SurfaceSolve Floor Care<contact@surfacesolve.com>

You definitely believe in and stand behind your service and I know that you would make sure I'm completely satisfied with your work. For that reason, I would like to use your company provided that an in home estimate meets my budget and it fits into my schedule. Anytime Saturday, Sunday, or monday would work. Tuesday would have to be finished by 3 or start at 5 PM. Wednesday finish by 3.

Please let me know if any of these dates and times would work.

Thanks
Brian
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 03:54:27
To:
Subject: RE: Carpet cleaning

Thanks for the gracious feedback as we like to know the outcome of our efforts. We were trying to fill your need for a 'good' company. Good has a different meaning to different people. If you were looking for a quick 30-45 minute run through of your carpet, then I should have done a better job of finding that out. I liken it to car washes: different options for different people.

We are always up for a side by side comparison with them. Feel free to book us at the same time and let the proof be in the results instead of me just telling you. You might be surprised at their reaction. I will put our service against anyone on any day. Not everyone is cleaning carpets with a $100K machine. We do a large amount of commercial that requires such large powerful equipment. So when we do residential, there is no comparison. We can steam clean a carpet and have it dry in 15 mins.

I am not sure how you found us, but we have appreciated the opportunity to earn your business as any owner operator would. If you have friends or relatives who you may think would benefit from our type of service, we would be very appreciative of the referral. Actually you can earn credit for a future service such as carpet, upholstery, tile & grout, stone, etc. Our clients and friends are our best sales people. We have people refer us all the time who either never used us or chose not to use us for one reason or another. This is the best compliment we could have. Best Regards, Bryan

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bryan,

Thats great!! No need for lunch....But thank you.

After going to your website....It looks like you are a 1st class operation.
As you can see now.....The DEMO is the best closing tool at your disposal.
90% of the time....Just making the offer, will close the DEAL!!!
Once any compeditor finds out they are going to DEMO against that A-TEC..
There is a 99.9% chance they will a NO-SHOW.....

Now that I know where you are ....I will send you some refferals......We don't
travel tha far south. I expect nothing monatary in return, JUST TAKE CARE OF
THE CLEINT.....

Give me a call sometime>>>352-567-5855

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom