Hernia

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I seen the surgeon today. 2 hernias that need to be repaired. I'm thinking about doing it a few days before Christmas. How many of you have had this done and how long where you down? I have a helper that can do most of the work but I will have to drive and deal with customers. They want me to take off 4 to 6 weeks.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
So I seen the surgeon today. 2 hernias that need to be repaired. I'm thinking about doing it a few days before Christmas. How many of you have had this done and how long where you down? I have a helper that can do most of the work but I will have to drive and deal with customers. They want me to take off 4 to 6 weeks.
In 1995 I had to take a physical for the Vallejo Police Dept. I was hired as a cadet. During the doctor visit I failed the turn your head and cough exam. Turned out I had a double Right inguinal hernia. I had surgery and was down for about a week and a half. I remember whenever I laughed the stitches felt like they would catch on fire. Turns out I had a hernia for years. Whenever I would run for track I would always feel it burning in my abdomen. I told my coach about it and he would always tell me it was just growing pains.

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

That is at least one thing I have not had happen.

I was a lead trumpet player for years and that could be a situation for some players.

Lots of things I have done in my past it could have happened.

I am sitting here typing after knee surgery yesterday. Not sure how long I will be down but having a Helper or two does help.

Still my best to you with the surgery and decisions needed prior and after

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I had it done in July. I only had a day of moderate pain, then a few days of gritting my teeth when I coughed or got up from a chair or out of bed. I was on a 10# weight limit for a couple weeks, and 30# for the next two.

No pain after the first week, but I don't work any harder than climbing steps and lawn and house work. Cleaning and moving furniture is a whole different thing. I hope you don't use a portable.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I had an umbilical hernia fixed 3 years ago. I only took 4 weeks off but that wasn't really enough. The first day back at work was only a one room job thankfully. I could barely carry my 2 gallon sprayer up a flight of stairs. The anesthesia might make you weak for a long time afterwards.

The worst part is they bombarded me with sulphite filled meds so now I can only eat fresh fruits and veggies and meat because I didn't know I was allergic. If I eat anything with sulphites which is almost everything, my heart will pound and I'll have panic attacks

I would plan on 6-8 weeks off the wand. Pushing the wand is probably what caused my hernia. Before surgery I would have pain when pushing the wand forward.

Good luck!

steve_64

I had an umbilical hernia fixed 3 years ago. I only took 4 weeks off but that wasn't really enough. The first day back at work was only a one room job thankfully. I could barely carry my 2 gallon sprayer up a flight of stairs. The anesthesia might make you weak for a long time afterwards.

The worst part is they bombarded me with sulphite filled meds so now I can only eat fresh fruits and veggies and meat because I didn't know I was allergic. If I eat anything with sulphites which is almost everything, my heart will pound and I'll have panic attacks

I would plan on 6-8 weeks off the wand. Pushing the wand is probably what caused my hernia. Before surgery I would have pain when pushing the wand forward.

Good luck!
I think the imbilical hernia is what I had all my life. My belly button would hurt on the inside when I played to hard. I never got it fixed. Then I started getting a hiatal hernia at the bottom of my chest top of my stomach.

I never got either fixed.

Last edited:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Mine gets raised by the end of the day. I have to ice it almost daily. The only reason I'm fixing it is because it's preventing me from doing more jobs each day.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mine gets raised by the end of the day. I have to ice it almost daily. The only reason I'm fixing it is because it's preventing me from doing more jobs each day.

I put up with mine for a few years until the same thing happened to me. I iced mine daily, and figured it was time I got it taken care of before the alien burst out of my stomach.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I just hope I can get in and out of the van in two weeks. I’m trying to work with another cleaner to do my property management work and not lose too many regular customers

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I just hope I can get in and out of the van in two weeks. I’m trying to work with another cleaner to do my property management work and not lose too many regular customers

I was in and out of vans and SUVs in a week, but I don't really work for a living like you do. Pushing a wand in two weeks might be a bad idea Louis. You do not want to go through it all over again.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I think the imbilical hernia is what I had all my life. My belly button would hurt on the inside when I played to hard. I never got it fixed. Then I started getting a hiatal hernia at the bottom of my chest top of my stomach.

I never got either fixed.
Mine got to where it was hurting so bad I almost had to quit working and go to the ER. It was a really small hole in the muscle wall so it was pinching the heck out of the intestine that was slipping through.
I was in and out of vans and SUVs in a week, but I don't really work for a living like you do. Pushing a wand in two weeks might be a bad idea Louis. You do not want to go through it all over again.
I agree. You don't want it to come loose and you have to go back in a second time. I have a friend that happened to. He ended up having it repaired right in the Dr. office the second time with only local anesthesia. You don't realize how much you use those ab muscles until you have hernia surgery. I could only do a pull stroke with the wand until probably 8 weeks after the surgery.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I had an imbilical from birth. Had it fixed in my late 20’s. It was typical.
Now I have one in my gonad I think I got from gall bladder attack. Need to get it fixed, but don’t hurt, so you know how that goes. Since you have a helper, take your time so it don’t complicate, cause that’s what this planet affords.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom