Hey DuaneO!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
That's a brilliant idea. We could go bact to our roots by putting a slide-in with an APO and a roof mount hose reel into our fastback Pintos. I'm feeling nostalgic. I remember driving around listening to 10cc playing "I'm Not In Love."

"Be quiet, big boys don't cry""Be quiet, big boys don't cry"

G

It's actually a pretty good idea and it looks pretty cool too.

F

FB7777

where's the space saving or advantage to roof mounting especially in a cargo van?

you have to install a top frame to fasten the reel mounts which you don't need when you simply bolt it to the floor

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I will be mounting my hose reel on the roof of my ambulance... it will be freeing up tons of space.

the bottom of the reel will be 2.5 ft from the floor... could lay my wands/scrubber under it and have more room for air movers.... also crap wont get under the legs of the hose reel.

The Preacher

i believe it was mainly for mini van's since that was his original idea for his small footprint TM design!!!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hey Duane

399071626_b3fe357b86.jpg

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Mikey P said:
Do you have any pics of your roof mounted hose reel set up?

Hey, Mikey...

Yes, I do. And I'll be doing another setup like that in August. Pictures will be posted.

Fred:

What is the gain in a cargo van? About 6 inches of floor space, basically. Here's why:

The frame of the reel extends out about 3" on each side. Turning it upside down, therefore, allows you to move it 3" closer to the wall (wheel well, actually) than you could otherwise.

But wait! There's more...! 8)

Since the frame of the reel on the side closest to the center of the van is not on the floor at all, you also gain about 3" there.

HungVacReel.jpg

ShemeelinAstro.jpg

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
The point Fred is trying to make is. You dont gain a fooken thing in that Astro fan. All you have is a upside down hose reel. Duane was probably smoking crack and hung it upside down. Then some idiot TM salesman like Jeff Elllis tells his customer that the way the reel is mountted saves his customer 4 feet of floor space and adds 500 bucks to the install.

Golden Boy

Chris A

Name
Chris
Waldo said:
The point Fred is trying to make is. You dont gain a fooken thing in that Astro fan. All you have is a upside down hose reel. Duane was probably smoking crack and hung it upside down. Then some idiot TM salesman like Jeff Elllis tells his customer that the way the reel is mountted saves his customer 4 feet of floor space and adds 500 bucks to the install.

Golden Boy

You could probably fit a row of airmovers and a scrubber in there side by side now, don't know if you could with a standard vac reel.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Good grief. Any idiot can see that the upside down reel saves a bit of space. Not much, but it certainly saves the few inches the frame takes up around the reel. When you couple that space savings with the savings of the waste tank and fresh water tank, that set-up should be a good one. That 36 blower is a deal killer for me, but many folks are happy with pissy little blowers.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hell if you're going to play with the angle iron, why not make a box to slide under the reel.

Put the reel in the van, slip the frame under the reel, bolt the frame to the floor and the reel to the frame. It would be just as easy, you could even have the bolts coming up through the frame so it would be easier to disassemble if you needed the reel out.

If you're have trouble with the bolts for the reel, you can always lower the gas tank with a floor jack and put your bolts in.

Greenie

rctpks said:
Not worth the extra cost to flip it for a few inches of floor space.

Actually, i think there is nothing MORE valuable than FLOOR space when you clean like Mikey or dabble in restoration and all you have to work with is a lima bean lunchpail holder.

That "space" behind the vac reel is nearly useless on a straight install, you have to angle the hose reel installation to allow some access for a fat head to get in there if you plan on using that valuable space, the inverted hose reel tucks nicely into that pocket.

oh...and there is only 5" tops above the hose reel, you actually have to tilt the reel to get it through the door.

But...I don't own a company of 14' BOX trucks! So yea...that space ain't worth all that much to my friend Richard.

Bob Foster

I use the space beside the reel next to the wall to hold my folding plastic work table I use for upholstery and also my balcony rope. It's also a good spot for traffic cones.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
But...I don't own a company of 14' BOX trucks! So yea...that space ain't worth all that much to my friend Richard.
Sorry Greenie not trying to be a pain in the ass! :lol:

We clean carpet too, we slam the unit as far to the front as we can, still allowing for maintenance, then put a tall thin hose reel along side it.

Bolts up from beneath so removal for repair or maintenance is easier.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've always thought that the reel should be on a slider that will move it from front to back.
The damn thing is always in theway and is hard to work if it's even a little back from the door. Even with an electric it would seem the way to go.

If you could rig a slider with a tommy lift of sorts to get it out of the van on each job, that would make life easier.

I know a guy who has a make shift thing of what I am talking about in the back of his pick up.
Quite the ghetto settup but when he's rollin, it's all nice and tidy in the back.

And by tidy, I mean ugly as hell but not going anywhere.
keeps it all under a shell so it doesn't look that ghetto from the outside.

Greenie

My comments are Specifically addressing Mikey's lunchpail TNT installation, no side door hose reel option, and no way in hell you are getting a card table in there, LP heater forward of wheelwell, remember, it's a 97 standard length Dodge van.

Short of inverting the vac reel, this is the layout that will give Mikey what he wants for starage and access reasons. The angled hose reel gives his "enough" access to use that pocket of space for now, some day i still might install the Oxley mount.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I designed a removable vacuum hose reel bracket, to allow the vac reel to be removed easily when necessary. Only built one of them, for Scott Rogers' system. But it works pretty well.

I could design a better one now, in terms of smooth final appearance. But in terms of doing what it's supposed to do, it's very serviceable, and flat, so it's totally out of the way.

Farenheit251

I had Duane set mine up like that. Only saves about 4-6 inches but in the most important area. As for cost I think Duane charged $400 for the whole truckmount install.

Greenie

Bob.........there is a #4 heater flush up against the fwd side of that wheel well, the only reall access is from the back door cause I pivoted the hose reel so Mikey could fit his head in there (13.75"), so now you could slide a card table in there probably from the back door, but not with the hose reel flush and straight.

Pics will be posted soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom