Hey Marty

Cameron1

You have had your v long enough to have formed an opinion or two in regards to production, increased costs to operate, increased dry times, increased heat, better image(?), increase in the # of walk ups,etc,etc.

Would you buy it again ?

If so, what is the biggest benefit?

What is the biggest negative ?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Let him figure how to start it first. He's a little slow, but we still love him, and not in the danny kinda way either.

IMHO if you dont dual wand its overkill, cant beat the heat and vac for sure....and far as walkups, I get them in my vans, Isuzu box truck and pushing a porty on the 16th floor.

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, I would not purchase it again knowing what I know now. The economy tanked the day I bought it and if I had known that, I would still be cleaning out of my paid for TCS unit. However, in 4 years, when this monster is paid for, I will be super glad to have it. It is an amazing cleaning machine. The heat and vac, and dual waning performance of this thing is truly worth it's weight in gold. I am much more efficient with this rig, even when single wanding. There are no performance or production related draw backs to it. Even the slight increase in operating costs associated with owning it is offset by it's improved production and lack of purchasing propane, plus the reduced chemical usage the heat allows. It's all a wash in the end.

The one major drawback to it is it's size. It is no problem for me to handle and I love the improved image it gives me. Yes, I have seen an increase in walkups and phone calls from people on the road with me. That really happens. However, there is no way I would consider putting a crew of two 20 year old boys in that thing. Going with crews again is in my future, so more conventional van purchases are a given.

F

FB7777

You bought this thing 'gently' used correct?

so in 4 years when that monster is paid for , it will be worth practically nothing, need expensive repairs because it is nearly used up and you'll really wish you never bought it

at least that's what I'm hoping ....:mrgreen:

hogjowl

Idiot™
Fred:
If it will make you feel any better, I see a $3000 purchase of a new round fresh water tank in my future. Other than that, I really can't see anything expensive waiting on me.

Of course, you never know ...

Cameron1

I am much more efficient with this rig, even when single wanding.

That would be because of.................less cleaning and drying strokes?

hogjowl

Idiot™
That's part of it. The heat and vac ARE amazing and quite production enhancing. Solving the overspray on my glided wands has helped to. (85 degree jets on the two outside jets.) Not having to hook up to water and worry about dumping is a big plus, as well.

Another thing has been eliminating prevacuuming without suffering a tremendous increas in dry times. Man ... not having to prevacuum is a HUGE time saver. With my TCS unit, I absoluely had to prevacuum. Of course, using a hole glide was part of that, but even with a standard slot glide, the 36 blower wouldn't pick up hair and strings of cloth, or lint. The Vortex will suck that stuff up without blinking. So, if the customer does a good job of prevacuuming, then the hole glide is used and they get a good 2 hour drying time. If they do a pissy job, the the unglided Titanium wand is used and they get a 4 hour drying time.

F

FB7777

admiralclean said:
Fred:
If it will make you feel any better, I see a $3000 purchase of a new round fresh water tank in my future. Other than that, I really can't see anything expensive waiting on me.

why not purchase a poly tank ( or 2 ) ?

$3000 for water storage sounds a bit pricey... not too mention ridiculous

A guy with a clean nice wraped van using a portable could get twice as many walk-ups. I don't see the need to spend 90,000 dollars for that. I guess it all comes down to just how hard you want to work. You take a guy with a Vortex with a 1300 dollar payment, gas in the beast, insurance, maintanence and all other expenses associated with running a machine like that and compare that to a guy working with a 15,000 dollars truck that is paid for. The guy with the 15,000 dollar truck is going to make close to, the same, or even more than the guy in the Vortex doing half as much work. Thats right. I will gladly work 3 days a week instead of 6 to make the same PROFIT.

I am not including any advertising costs in this equation. So a guy that does not have an established business that is spending another 1000 a month on advertising plus all the other expenses with running a Vortex might as well stand on the corner with a sign that says "I work for food."

Yes you can make a lot of money with a machine like a Vortex. It all depends on how your business is structured. If you like being super busy then by all means buy a vortex, work your ass off and gross 200 thousand, use the machine for two years, and then sell it for 45-50 thousand. Then your costs are dramatically lower. I like to keep things simple. I feel like take it easy, but my brother on the other hand works with a rug doctor and does 3 jobs a week that average 300 dollars each. He is making a lot more PROFIT than some guys who do 10 jobs a week because his overhead is nothing.

If I was a larger company that focused more on commercial, then a Vortex would be a blessing but not for a single owner operator like myself. I need time off to go out or to the lake. Really, I just want to keep what I make plain and simple. I don't want to work for anyone.

F

FB7777

admiralclean said:
One thing I can think of that would be a negative of doing that is that the Vortex depends on an in-tank heater coil to produce the first step in it's heating system.

yea that would be a problem :lol:

Cameron1

admiralclean said:
That's part of it. The heat and vac ARE amazing and quite production enhancing. Solving the overspray on my glided wands has helped to. (85 degree jets on the two outside jets.) Not having to hook up to water and worry about dumping is a big plus, as well.

Another thing has been eliminating prevacuuming without suffering a tremendous increas in dry times. Man ... not having to prevacuum is a HUGE time saver. With my TCS unit, I absoluely had to prevacuum. Of course, using a hole glide was part of that, but even with a standard slot glide, the 36 blower wouldn't pick up hair and strings of cloth, or lint. The Vortex will suck that stuff up without blinking. So, if the customer does a good job of prevacuuming, then the hole glide is used and they get a good 2 hour drying time. If they do a pissy job, the the unglided Titanium wand is used and they get a 4 hour drying time.

So.............how does it feel to join the ranks of us hacks. Pretty good I bet.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Thanks for sharing Porky, you didn't mention how nice it is to have all the cleaning junk in the box. Just you and the BBQ sauce in the cab.

Water and dumbing alone saves lots of time. When I work out of mine it is great.

However if I am running all over town it is nice to have the van.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
admiralclean said:
Fred:

out of all the changes I made on my machine..the round tank was the best.....very easy to change over..took me one week end and she was back up and running....well worth the 3k......

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I looked at the Vortex before I put together my truck. I liked the vortex because it was a driving billboard. I didn't end up with it but I have the box truck with a Thermal Wave 5M. I couldn't be happier. Without the glides you can barely move the wand. If I set it to dual wand you have to have the glides. I only run 2 inch hose to the wand. I don't know what I would do with more vacuum. I get more walk ups then every before. The most common question is "Do you really need all that for carpet cleaning?". My most common answer is "Only if you want to do it right". I run dual set-ups on more then 50% of my jobs and have plenty of vacuum. I have discovered that most customers don't even know what the last guy used but when I get new customers they tell me they have been seeing my truck all over town. I have the same machine that I had in my van but my image and visibility have improved.

Gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
admiralclean said:
Fred:

you're still in the honeymoon period.

I'll be interested in what you think in 4 years.
after repairs and maintenance upkeep on the unit, chassis and engine/drive train

You're not a Jim Martin, you know....

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I got the non-walk up model....but have been very happy with it....it has done everything that I have wanted it to do....It does have its problems...( but they all do...most just don't want to admit it )...but most are easy and fast to over come....Not one I would buy just starting out..We built this company on a CDS and a prochem wand....Not a Vortex....But it has help us take the company to the next level and keep us going in the direction we want to see things go.....when she blows up ( and sooner or later it will )....If I cant find another 6008 then I will look at buying something else.....from what I have seen..anything after the 6008 have just got to complicated and stupid...6008 is a lot more user friendly

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Billboard....you can put a slide in in the same vehicle

dual wanding....you can buy two vans with equipment for the same price and dual wand accross town

Walk ups....a nice wrap on a van will get them

referrals....do a good job with any TM and get them...porty's?? not so much

Vacuum.....still don't have to do it with a slide in

Water tank...not for $3000.00

Have I missed anything?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
yes..........water tank for 3k was a better deal then most think....it was not just a tank ..It was everything that was need to convert form the square one to the round.....all material every nut...bolt...washer..hose...panel box mounts......everything ..delivered to my front door........thicker stainless steal walls..much better material......it was 3k with me installing it myowndamnself......ya might want to add another 15oo to 2000 if some one else installs it.....

Back
Top Bottom