Hey, Meg (or other office managers)...

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
How do you handle rude customers who refuse to speak to you? I have been answering phones for Scott now for about six months. Most of the time the customers are great and we have positive interactions. If I don't know how to answer their question or if I'm not sure how long a job might take, I contact Scott and get back to the customer as soon as I can.

I had this one guy the other day who owns a few small local specialty retail stores call and ask for Scott. I told him Scott wasn't available, what could I help him with? He was very rude and insisted that Scott was the only one who could help him. I didn't want to argue so I said I'd have Scott call him back. Scott worked a 16 hour day and didn't get a chance to call the guy, who then called back the next day and insisted that I must not have given Scott his message and that no, of course I couldn't help him with his issue. Know what the issue was? He needed to change the date of his cleaning. When Scott finally got in touch with the guy, he explained what I do and that I am more than capable of scheduling his appointment, but I'm not sure he's going to be better next time.

First, I'm offended that he didn't think me capable of helping him. Second, I'm offended that he assumed I didn't deliver his message. I told Scott to tell him if he wants work done he can book online from now on because I'm not taking any more of his calls. I might understand if he was a ten-year client who hadn't heard about my becoming the office staff, but this guy has only done business with us once. Jerk.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Not an Office Manager but do know what I expect from the person who answers the phone...including my phone.
Would hope you are thinking of ways this call could have gone better...so it will next time.

Reactions: Papa John
J

JS41035

Dad always added a 25 dollar charge for being rude to my mom or sister.
I added a 30 dollar charge to a Saudi guy who made my wife cry. When he asked about it I told him " that's for being rude to my wife "
Of course he flipped and said he wouldn't pay. "Then I'll take you to court. It's rural Kentucky buddy and I grew up cleaning the courthouse carpets. How do you think this is gonna end?"
Don't be rude to women. He paid.
Bought her flowers with the nice tip.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I could answer you Darcie but I will ONLY respond to Scott. :winky:

Ok, seriously we do have clients just like that. They only want to talk to Dan or Steve and then they only wanted to book a job.

You can't let it get to you. I personally think he's missing out not getting to know you! His loss, don't sweat it!

Uhhh now can I speak to Scott? :shifty:

J/K
:biggrin:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Darcie, I charge $225 and travel to turn your kitchen into an operating room. Call to book, hahaha.

Justin, good onya for defending Mrs. Stockwell. Next time, look him in the eye and say "You're not in Calcutta now, you know!"

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
If you are going to answer the phones you need to have a little thicker skin and NOT take things personally.

That caller was probably raised/trained to only deal with the head MF in charge. He has obliviously given himself a high level of self importance.
He probably has always gotten his way by being demanding/Intimidating. Just be thankful you don't have to go home to HIM.

Rather then letting HIM get into your head-- take control and in a nice productive way- And retrain him-- not with reciprocal rudeness-- but with facts.

maybe say sometime like this:
"I'm so sorry Mr. "Ahole"-- think that but don't say it:biggrin:-----" but Scott is so busy these day working 16 hours a day that he has hired me answer the phones for him."
"Scott doesn't take calls while he is with a customer or driving. To expedite things, I can either help you or give you his email and he can respond later on tonight or tomorrow."

Inform Scott he was a little rude so that Scott can add on the additional fees.-- I love it when a customer is a PIA before I give the price-- but too much of a PIA we walk away.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
If you are going to answer the phones you need to have a little thicker skin and NOT take things personally.
I guess I didn't phrase the post very well. I'm not in tears crying in the corner or anything, I just don't understand why people have to be like that, especially to those who provide them a service. I worked 12 years in retail management, so I've had all the training on how to diffuse angry customer situations, and I've seen a lot worse. I guess I just want to know what others in this industry in particular run into with people like that guy and how you all handle it. I already got good feedback: the Stockwells say add a fee. You can't do that in retail, so, see? New perspective. I know exactly how valuable it is for the underlings to be able to handle situations so they never get to the top dog. This guy dodged every single attempt I made at trying to help and it irks me.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
You need to understand that HE did not attack YOU-- he attacked your position and task or situation--- HE doesn't know you- and therefore he didn't attack you-- he would have reacted the same regardless of who answered the phone..
I believe he will behave differently in the future now that Scott has talked to him.

re read Bob Pruitt's post.

But on the other hand-- you are the first line of defense for the business against Wackoos.
Unfortunately you may have to take a hit or two while you psychoanalyze the caller.

as for him thinking you didn't give the message to Scott-- you could say he was either busy-- or Not returning a call is ALSO an answer.-- we use this on telemarketers.

Reactions: FB7777

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
How do you handle rude customers who refuse to speak to you? I have been answering phones for Scott now for about six months. Most of the time the customers are great and we have positive interactions. If I don't know how to answer their question or if I'm not sure how long a job might take, I contact Scott and get back to the customer as soon as I can.

I had this one guy the other day who owns a few small local specialty retail stores call and ask for Scott. I told him Scott wasn't available, what could I help him with? He was very rude and insisted that Scott was the only one who could help him. I didn't want to argue so I said I'd have Scott call him back. Scott worked a 16 hour day and didn't get a chance to call the guy, who then called back the next day and insisted that I must not have given Scott his message and that no, of course I couldn't help him with his issue. Know what the issue was? He needed to change the date of his cleaning. When Scott finally got in touch with the guy, he explained what I do and that I am more than capable of scheduling his appointment, but I'm not sure he's going to be better next time.

First, I'm offended that he didn't think me capable of helping him. Second, I'm offended that he assumed I didn't deliver his message. I told Scott to tell him if he wants work done he can book online from now on because I'm not taking any more of his calls. I might understand if he was a ten-year client who hadn't heard about my becoming the office staff, but this guy has only done business with us once. Jerk.
I don't have any rude customers. Anymore that is.

Mikey P

Administrator
Did you offer the list of things you could help him with?

Making an appointment
rescheduling
spot cleaning advice
more info about your services
a five minute rendition of Invagadadavida performed by just armpit farts?

Name
Nate W.
Suck it up buttercup!!!

"A Tax" has been around a lot longer than I have been... Asshole tax is just another way for you to deal with impolite people...

I don't take things personally... People have bad days, we all do... I tend to check people on their attitude, it clears the air real quick... I like to deal with 1 person myself, if I can't I'll just leave a message for the person...

Next time give Scott the message and it could be all avoided............:stir:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If a customer is rude then me, I blow it off. It's business.

If a customer is rude to any of my employees and I'm sure it was so, I take them to task for it, and have "fired" a few of them when it's been abusive. I have zero tolerance for that.

Darcie, I know your nature, and how professionally you deport yourself in person and on the phone. I am sure this jerk is the exception. Few cleaners have their phone answered by someone like you, and their businesses suffer for it.

Scott would be the first person to say that you have a great deal to do with the businesses success and growth of C & S

I'd be the second.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
If a customer is rude then me, I blow it off. It's business.

If a customer is rude to any of my employees and I'm sure it was so, I take them to task for it, and have "fired" a few of them when it's been abusive. I have zero tolerance for that.

Darcie, I know your nature, and how professionally you deport yourself in person and on the phone. I am sure this jerk is the exception. Few cleaners have their phone answered by someone like you, and their businesses suffer for it.

Scott would be the first person to say that you have a great deal to do with the businesses success and growth of C & S

I'd be the second.
Thank you

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Ugh! I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. I remember the first few times it happened to me. It likely won't be the last time you deal with this, but having the experience and all the great advice you'll be in a better position to respond next time. It really catches you off guard when it happens. I think you handled it well. He's response regarding you not passing on the information to Scott was uncalled for, but now you know how to prevent that in the future. It's all about managing people's expectations.

Since I've been involved with the business for 10 years now, this rarely happens as most customers know I've involved in the day to day operations. With time, that will come in your business as well.

Unfortunately, there is an "old school" generation out there that have this mindset that they need to speak to the Man or owner. I've typically explained that John is not available on the office line and we don't give out his personal cell because he's busy in the field. I ask question as to what they would like to know so that I can have John get back to them or even so I can get back to them on John's behalf since I'll likely have contact with John before he has a chance to call them. Once I got them to tell me what it was they wanted, I was able to answer the questions for them.

Once I proved myself that I could actually talk the tech talk and knew what I was talking about and wasn't just a sweet voice on the phone it was enough to win them over and speaking with John was never needed. There have been times when I've told them something, but they still insisted on speaking with John....who told them the same exact thing that I did. So frustrating! But then I have the satisfaction of knowing that and usually it's not a problem the next time. They then know they can deal with me and will get the right answer. If they were really a jerk about it, I find a way to tactfully bring it up. If John spoke to them and told them that I'd call them to set up the appointment, I let them know that John told me he shared the same information with them that I did. Or ask them what John said and then remark that it was what I told them as well and hope that in the future they know they can ask me. It leads to a joke or awkward fumbling, but the point is made and they have a dose of humble pie. But bottom line, it's all part of the customer service experience we offer.

Some customers require that extra level of service....no matter how irritating it can be. Don't take it personally....its at THEM thing, not a YOU thing. These customers that need the hand holding can be some of the best ones you have if you handle it correctly. You have no idea what kind of baggage they are coming to you with...whether generational, a bias against women cause they have Mommy issues or ex wife issues and lump all women in the same category, or maybe they have just had horrible experiences with service providers in the past and they don't want to get screwed again. All their issues, not you. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

In your scenario, he was expecting a call from Scott in a shorter time period. Now that you know there are people like this, you can manage their expectations by explaining up front that it may take a day or two for him to call back based on his work load. I think it would be appropriate for Scott to make sure this guy knows you did give him the message and how competent you are in your position, or he wouldn't have you doing it! He could ask him to run things by you in the future and if you are unable to answer, to trust that she will find out from you and get back to him or have you call him if needed.

Hang in there girl! You got this.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
I think it would be appropriate for Scott to make sure this guy knows you did give him the message and how competent you are in your position, or he wouldn't have you doing it! He could ask him to run things by you in the future and if you are unable to answer, to trust that she will find out from you and get back to him or have you call him if needed.
That's exactly what Scott did. Thanks, Meg. I appreciate the encouragement and I'm glad that those sorts of customers become fewer over time.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom