hey mikey! yoohoo!

M

mystery

hey "mikey" i read some of yr comments on Ed Valentine. we just bought a recoil quadra pak, will heat with a little giant. just wanta let you know, i find your comments rude, unprofessional, tactless and vulgar. imho!! ha. and to boot, you terminate the ability to comment on the thread. real, real, low class. it's why i quit your subscription some time ago.
xo n all that.

Ryan

You seem very intelligent, I can tell this by the articulation of your thought and your obvious fluent understanding of the English language.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
mystery said:
hey "mikey" i read some of yr comments on Ed Valentine. we just bought a recoil quadra pak, will heat with a little giant. just wanta let you know, i find your comments rude, unprofessional, tactless and vulgar. imho!! ha. and to boot, you terminate the ability to comment on the thread. real, real, low class. it's why i quit your subscription some time ago.
xo n all that.

You know, I have nothing against Ed.
Don't think I've ever said anything bad about him, or his porty
Don't have any problems at all about how much he sells his goods for, either.
and I've always considered him a gentleman

but I'm curious...are you "really" planing to run a portable like a TM in the van??

and if so..why???

why wouldn't you spend that 6-7 grand on a real TM (there's a lot good used ones out there right now...it's a buyers' market)...with a real positive displacement blower that really will handle 100+ ft hose runs?

are you planing to run a generator too?

..L.T.A.

Scott Rogers

mystery said:
xo n all that.

If you dont like what Mikey says rebut him, hes a big boy and can take it. Or simply go to another forum. This is just one of many. But I can tell you from the examples of Ed's machines I have seen Mike was spot on.

And as far as low class. hmmm, might want to look in the mirror.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I think if I wanted to purchase a high powered porty, the Recoil would be a good bet. I could demo it at the factory which isn't far from me. The choice would be between it and an M5 from Mytee. Both seem like excellent machines.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
who let Rickie back on

I can clean just as well as a TM with a portable mounted in my van, and a vac booster, and a heater and a generator :oops: it just takes longer :shock:

did I miss anything

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I was about to send the powerball booster to a guy free of charge because it has been hanging around for sale for years un used at half the price. If the Cross American sycophants can tell me why it is impossible to sell when the recoil and boosters are so great i want to know. BTW Ed himself()after I never said a bad word about his company) posted that he never sold to me and banned me from his board

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
This is from - posting.php?mode=quote&f=42&p=367966

mystery said:
Hi all. Thanks to everyone for this informative and entertaining forum.

We are interested in starting a carpet cleaning business, but what a lot of information to sift through. I was looking into this business for myself, but now my husband is also interested. We live in BC Canada.

Anyway, we are looking for information on good truck mount systems. Since this is all new to us, any advice is appreciated, especially all of the equipment that is needed.

Elisabeth :D

Well judging by your grammar and posting style - you must be the 'husband' Elisabeth was referring too. If you use your real name your post will always hold a lot more weight - no one really takes notice of a no name sniper.

Better yet - get your wife to post your comments for you - at least we could understand her :lol:

Mikey P

Administrator
OrgName: On Call Internet Services Ltd.
OrgID: ONCL
Address: 1158 8th Street
City: Kamloops
StateProv: BC
PostalCode: V2B-2Y2

NetRange: 67.221.144.0 - 67.221.159.255
CIDR: 67.221.144.0/20
OriginAS: AS852, AS6539
NetName: ONCALLINTERNET
NetHandle: NET-67-221-144-0-1
Parent: NET-67-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS.OCIS.NET
NameServer: NS.VIRTUOCIS.NET
Comment: http://www.ocis.net http://www.ispinabox.ca
Comment: -- Office hours are 8:30-5:00 PM PST, M-F
RegDate: 2009-06-03
Updated: 2009-06-03

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
The first thing I thought was............... He couldn't even use his name when taking a swipe at someone. What a puss.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
meAt said:
but I'm curious...are you "really" planing to run a portable like a TM in the van??
and if so..why???
why wouldn't you spend that 6-7 grand on a real TM (there's a lot good used ones out there right now...it's a buyers' market)...with a real positive displacement blower that really will handle 100+ ft hose runs?
L.T.A.

I have thought much about this myself and have decided on running a portable from a van, as opposed to a used truck mount.
If I were to buy a used truck mount, I would still have to buy a good porty because I will have a fair amount of walk up jobs being in NYC, and I am too new to this business to be passing on too many.
I am sure there are some fine deals right now on used truckmounts, but with my limited truckmount knowledge, could I choose the right one? Could I troubleshoot and repair it? Should I gamble with my new business with someones used equipment, that I am not familiar with? I can handle a small engine, and would be able to swap out a vac motor or pump on a porty with no problem, but I am not yet familiar with all the components of a truckmount, and do not want to be learning in someone's driveway.
There is a used truckmount in my future, just not right now. Personally. I have so many other things to worry about, so many other things to lean, and so much to do. Having a brand new high performance porty that should give me at least a couple of years, if not more, of trouble free performance, is my peace of mind. Sure my jobs will take longer, and I won't be doing 250 foot runs, but am a firm believer of the value of earning your stripes, and working your way up from the bottom, and after I have mastered cleaning with my porty, (how many truckmount guys have?), and put in my time in the porty trenches, I will not only be a better cleaner, but will appreciate the performance and benefits of a truckmount, and most importantly, I would have earned it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Frank, I have no problem with porty users and I'm not dogging them.

but a porty is a porty....it's "s'posed" to be "portable"
to spend $6, 7, $8000 dollars on a portable set up with extra tanks, boosters, propane heaters, generators, etc so you can leave it in a van can be penny wise but pound foolish.
cause at the end of the day, it's still a porty with porty performance that was never designed to be a TM

do yourself and your custys a favor and move the machine closer to your work like it was intended and don't try to make a TM out of a porty

..L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
meAt said:
Why should I be obligated to take it off the van if i have no need to just because I'm "s'posed" to? The key here for me is versatility. A M-5 with a top mounted booster would give me 350+ cfm, plus the heat of a H4 Little Giant, and I have many reasons not to take it inside. Why drag 160 lbs. anywhere if I don't need more than 150 ft of hose. I could knock out any restaurant in my area, and most homes with this set up, without taking it off the van.

meAt said:
to spend $6, 7, $8000 dollars on a portable set up with extra tanks, boosters, propane heaters, generators, etc so you can leave it in a van can be penny wise but pound foolish.
I'm looking at it as a wise investment in my future. A generator can be very complementary to a cleaning business, and If I am eventually going to buy a used truckmount, what's wrong with having a H4 sitting around? shiteatinggrin

CleanEvo

I started with a portable. If I had to do it over again...I would start with a truck mount. My business didn't really take off until I had a TM. I could do more, do it better and do it faster... that sure helped the bottom line (and my back).

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
CleanEvolve said:
I started with a portable. If I had to do it over again...I would start with a truck mount. My business didn't really take off until I had a TM. I could do more, do it better and do it faster... that sure helped the bottom line (and my back).

I,too, started with a porty running out the back of the van. I had the generator, the Little Giant heater, which worked OK, for a porty. I had a TM within 6 months, and never looked back.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
goomes said:
meAt said:
Why should I be obligated to take it off the van if i have no need to just because I'm "s'posed" to? The key here for me is versatility. A M-5 with a top mounted booster would give me 350+ cfm, plus the heat of a H4 Little Giant, and I have many reasons not to take it inside. Why drag 160 lbs. anywhere if I don't need more than 150 ft of hose. I could knock out any restaurant in my area, and most homes with this set up, without taking it off the van.

meAt said:
I'm looking at it as a wise investment in my future. A generator can be very complementary to a cleaning business, and If I am eventually going to buy a used truckmount, what's wrong with having a H4 sitting around? shiteatinggrin

Go get 'em Tiger
tell us what you think in about 5-7 years from now after you've owned a TM for a year or two.

and you will have a TM sooner or latter..."IF" you're full time and not in a market like Willy that services lots of hi-rises in a tall city

.L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
meAt said:
Go get 'em Tiger
tell us what you think in about 5-7 years from now after you've owned a TM for a year or two
.L.T.A.

I'm not saying your wrong.
I know I will most likely find myself kicking myself in the ass in the future, wishing I would have bought a truckmount sooner, but I just feel more comfortable starting out with all new equipment, even though it's portable. I won't be the first, or the last, to have started out with a porty, I think more successful guys have, than have not.
Until then............
ROOOAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
goomes said:
meAt said:
Go get 'em Tiger
tell us what you think in about 5-7 years from now after you've owned a TM for a year or two
.L.T.A.

I'm not saying your wrong.
I know I will most likely find myself kicking myself in the ass in the future, wishing I would have bought a truckmount sooner, but I just feel more comfortable starting out with all new equipment/quote]

you're fine, Frank.

My point wasn't about starting with a porty.
Cause as you mentioned, many, many successful outfits started with one.
Not a thing wrong with that..it's better than saddling a new start up with large debt and a heavy lease payment to sweat every month

For that matter, some outfits run very profitable biz's for years and years with portys

My point was really about spending large dollars making a porty into a pseudo TM.
That would be better spent (imHo) on other tools, marketing, biz training, etc

That's all I'm saying

..L.T.A.

Joe Bristor

I started with a truckmount and ended with a porty...bass-akwards like everything else I do.
Hey I'm a lefty, what else can I say?

Since 2/3 of my work (maybe more) is encap only, I use a porty - but only in the dirtiest areas. I run a short 2" hose to a 2" wand. And I run little Giant heat from van to my Onetrip sprayer which siphons all my chemicals. Good heat, decent suction, close to dry when done. Slow, yes, but also very low maintenance. I don't miss the smelly waste tank at all.
works for me.

If I were to grow, I'd hire two girl crews and run it like a maid service. Encap is mostly walkin & talkin anyway, right?

Frank's no newbie. After asking Jim Martin, me and probly a dozen others here a hundred questions each, he oughta know what works best for him. He's in (metro?) NY and that's a special setup compared to most other parts of the country. Diffrent strokes ya know.
Go Franko.

Scott Rogers

I bought my M5 through Joe Bristor, it has proven to be a nice back up machine to my TM. It has decent vac with 100ft of hose. But much better at 50 ft. So I cant understand why any one would by a portable then handy cap themselves by running more hose then required. Its a portable with nice wheels. roll it to the front door.

That said, it compares in performance very favorably to a Recoil, and is leaps and bounds ahead of the recoil in build quality (from the recoils I have seen) and @ the time I purchased it I saved over 1000 from the cost of the recoil.

When hooked up to my flow fired boiler running 240 degrees 450 psi, and 50 ft of hose performance is just a slight notch below my TM.

lance

Frank, it would be kind of dumb of you not to take advantage of the brain trust on this board so you don't have to start in the trenches. I can see if you want to do to prove something to yourself or if you don't trust all the vets in here. But doing something the hardest way is not always the smartest way.

Do yourself a favor and search this board and the ICS board for anything relating to a TM. It is not hard to learn from many of the posts that experienced guys have posted. A small TM modded the right way can do hose runs of 200 feet or more. And some might disagree but a good TM will outclean a good porty.....that is why it takes longer with the porty to do the job a TM can do.

Find out what you want to do and then find the best way to do it. I thought when you said walk ups you meant walking up lots of stairs.....that is what a porty is meant to be used. You will get a lot more walkups when they see that you use a TM and have professional looking equipment available to you. Make your TM as quiet as possible (that is the number one complaint of users and customers) and then you are off to the races.

What other tools will you use? Do you know what a CRB, OP machine, rotary, etc. are and how they relate to your idea of a cleaning business? What wand do you want to use? It makes a big difference.

I and a lot of other guys here are always ready to help educate their fellow cleaners. Send me a PM and i will talk to you anytime and i guarantee that you will know more about TM's and tools than most cleaners will ever know.

Welcome to this board and have a great day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom