Hidden soil-are you removing it

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Cleaning this one room. Looked like it had already been vacuumed.
Look what came out!!
Had I been using a bag vacuum I would have left over half of it in the carpet.
What's your vacuum leaving behind??
08-08-18vacuuming1.jpg

08-08-18vacuuming.jpg

After cleaning
08-08-18vacuuming2.jpg

TimP

I'm sure as hell leaving it behind and I don't care. I vacuum and do my job but I'm not there to vacuum all day, and I certainly don't charge enough to do that. Besides who in their right mind would pay 100 bucks an hour for someone to vacuum. It's the customers job to vacuum their house properly. I vacuum to get obvious dry soil out. I use the TM to get the oil load out and in effect get the soil they can't.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
TimP said:
I'm sure as hell leaving it behind and I don't care. I vacuum and do my job but I'm not there to vacuum all day, and I certainly don't charge enough to do that. Besides who in their right mind would pay 100 bucks an hour for someone to vacuum. It's the customers job to vacuum their house properly. I vacuum to get obvious dry soil out. I use the TM to get the oil load out and in effect get the soil they can't.

Amen!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
took maybe an extra 10 minutes in that room, NOT 2 hours. (Sheesh, show one extreme and they think I vacuum that long on "every" job. :roll:
I'd rather spend an extra 10 minutes than make mud. I don't care if you have a 1208 blower, once its wet, it takes a lot more effort to flush it out, if at all. If you don't know what came out of the carpet, you have NO idea what you left behind. You THINK you got it clean because it LOOKS clean. Sounds no better than the OP story.

Custy's either don't have a good enough vacuum, don't want to vacuum, don't have the time or just don't know how. I'm hired to
in effect get the soil they can't.

IICRC S0001
E. Principles of Professional Carpet Cleaning
"to remove substances that are foreign to the construction of the carpet, i.e., soil."
1. Dry Soil Removal
Professional carpet cleaners should have the ability to perform thorough dry soil removal with professional vacuum cleaning equipment. Professionals should have more powerful equipment, a better understanding of how and where soils build up in a carpet, and the knowledge of how to remove maximum amounts of that dry particle soil with the techniques they employ.

We keep talking about all this "high performance" equipment and yet hardly any one in this industry seems to care about removing the biggest source of damage to a carpet, the dry particulate soil. There is all this bragging about lift and airflow and getting it dry in 10 minutes, and yet the majority of cleaners leave so much soil in the carpet it would make the custy gag if they ever knew. I watched a cleaner RX20 an area and it turned brown from soil wicking before my eyes. 20 minutes of vacuuming would have saved him 20 minutes of overwetting the carpet.

These aren't low end homes either, these are average and above homes from good average people that just want to know their carpet is clean and they are willing to pay more than average to get it done. In a world where everyone is trying to make the most with the least effort, I for one want to make sure that when I leave, I KNOW I've gotten it as clean as I can, not have to drive away wondering what I left behind.
(how many cleaners even care, just as long as they made their $1000+ for the day)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Isn't Dry vac only important to the dry time unless you are worried about having to wet clean longer? As long as you clean well, you should be able to get all soil out, mud and other with a really good flush and with the right solutions.

With that said, why would you not vac to get up as much as possible before the wet cleaning proccess?

Once you start wet cleaning is it "impossible" to get every bit of dirt out?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I normally try to stay out of prevacuuming threads simply because they invariably become an avenue for a group circle jerk of the Forcynthian crowd. However, in this case I feel inclined to comment.

I pretty much always prevacuum simply because over the 20 years I've been cleaning carpets I have failed to adequately develop the visual skills necessary to view a carpet and judge if it requires prevacuuming or not. This has not always been the case. Like many here, I have had my hack days, but thankfully they are past.

Yesterday, I was called to clean an empy house with only 3 bedrooms of carpet. The rest was wood flooring. Upon arrival, I remember thinking that the carpets really didn't need cleaning. However, once I started vacuuming, I noticed I was getting tons of sheetrock (dry wall) dust in my cannister. I had to dump the cannister after every room. All that crap was not visible, but I sure am glad I got it out first.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
If they have a central vac then I will vacuum more because those power heads are usually junk. If they have a vacuum with a good vacuum, then I congratulate them and save some time.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Mikey P said:
Not for the two hours it took to produce that.

Mikey P said:
Mud?

Two ounces of dirt and a bread bag full of 5th generation fibers are not going to make mud Ron..

I see Mikey arguing for the non vacuumers tonight. By the way , I now have a vac.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I beleive Mikey is right . This is the problem with most home owner . Vacuum set to low. This will cause fuzz and pilling. Also distortion to the yarn. I will get that vacuuming up a wool easily and alot more.

John Watson

You guys are missing my friend from Canadia's point... Pre vacuum (better to use dust cup or see through container vac compared to bagged vac (Can't see it then).

I know he made his vacuuming vidio which took hours and hours of vacuuming before he got his new truck mount, but, now with the new Judson, His actual cleaning time is so much reduced He has to do somethig with all that extra time or his cousty will think he has changed his ways and is rippen her off. Hence more time to vacuume. And he want you to do more too...Brovo Ronnie.

PS thanks for posting the cleartrac link, I have a cms 1000 to get upgraded

lesterj2

JB said:
Ron I likes ya, dude, but, O.C.D. is still...

O.C.D.
yo JB, I like that avatar... Jager & Red Bull is my fav. drink besides Coca-Cola... LOL

oh yeah back to the subject at hand... I have a slight case of O.C.D. myself...

Able 1

Name
Keith
If you have o.c.d. here is what you do go get at least 50,000 flyers plug in your ipod and go nuts your biz will take off. I gaurentee!

lesterj2

Able 1 said:
If you have o.c.d. here is what you do go get at least 50,000 flyers plug in your ipod and go nuts your biz will take off. I gaurentee!
Sounds like a Major Marketing Plan...

-JB-

Name
JB
Yeah, I think we all do, that's why our ass's are still on the truck. :wink: It's just a matter of extent. :!:

PS Lester...

"Real" men drink Jaeger, by the quart!.............. The don't remember it, but they are assured they did it :roll: ....................once.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
08-09-13carpetrelated026.jpg

08-09-13carpetrelated025.jpg

Couple more examples. Not just lint in this load. Its carpet deodourizing powder and sand. If you can't see it coming in the vacuum, you would miss this stuff entirely.
The carpet "looked" well vacuumed before I arrived. Still got this much out.
You definitely won't flush it, it ain't coming out wet!

SOme deod pwdr has chlorine in it. One local cleaner got stung because his prespray reacted with the pwdr and created bleach, stripped the dye off the carpet. NAsty!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom