high miles on a used van

Lonewolf68

How many miles are too many for a used van either 3/4 ton or 1 ton? the van will have a slide in TM in it. What does everyone think? I know the are a lot of other variables such as regular maintenance, body condition, type/size of engine.

Steve

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Lonewolf68 said:
I know the are a lot of other variables such as regular maintenance, body condition, type/size of engine.

Steve

That my friend is the whole ball game.

A van that's reasonably maintained well should be good for 175K+ miles.

One that's been driven by every cowboy in the shop (or an owner with rough driving habits) might not last 60K miles without needing major repairs.

..L.T.A.

Personal question and it will vary from one to another. Also the history of said vehicle will weigh heavily. Our 1992 Box truck has 300,000 miles, ice cold AC and requires very little maintenance. I'n not scared of vehicles of over 100,000 if they have been well maintained.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
too many variables, but i bought mine used from an auction...a Penske rental van. a 1999 1 ton extended Savanna had 103k and got it for around $8000

only problem thus far was the fuel pump going a couple years back...common problem with GMC's i reckon :x only has 130k now.

hope it lasts to 175k :!: :!: :!: but that's probably asking too much.

thanx --- Derek.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
PRICE...is the only consideration Larry...if ya stop an' think about it!

I s'pose you're right.
If i find a full size van for $100, I'd buy it
Cause I could drag it to the scrap yard and get $200+ for it

..L.T.A.

diamond brian

I'm old enough to remember when folks could brag about getting 100,000 miles on their vehicles. Then the Japanese vehicles became popular, and American manufacturers were forced to improve their engineering.

Now days, a well-maintained van can get 200k-300k without replacing major components. Definitely 1992 or newer, Ford or GMC, V-8, and tranny cooler.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
my 97 had 140k when i bought it...3.5 yrs ago...only issue was a shift solenoid and a vac booster on a chevy...other then that smooth sailing..

oh just had lower ball joints done

oh and i paid $3900 and it is alll carpet inside....

contractor hated the rattling

jamesx1234

My first Van had 350K before I got rid of it. I think it only broke down once. The Van I have now has 200k. It still runs strong. The one with 350k was a Fed Ex Van.

Farenheit251

Add up the costs of ownership long term. I've come to the opinion that you save about $150 a month with a used older van(more of course if you are a good mechanic). Factor in image,lost revenue during breakdown,possible loss of accts and frustration and I gladly pay the extra tax deductible money.
I'll still keep a van 200,000 miles,but by the time I start paying for major repairs the van is paid off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom