Hiring a Salesman

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The way I am doing it is not only hiring a "sales guy" but a person to take over daily duties when I can't do them.
As I grow, I am finding that I have less and less time to do more and more things.

This seems pretty regular when looking at bigger companies but it's all new to me.

My little brother is saving me a boat load of time by doing my estimates, pre-inspections (we use both terms, one is just the price, the other is right before the job) answers phones when needed, meets up with Techs, goes to my Letip meetings...or allows me to, and really just does whatever is needed to run the company that I can't do.

He loves it because he has been cleaning almost as long as I have so he knows the business, but it's a different kind of job for him where he can work his strong points. He's really good with people. What else do you need?

Well, he is getting better at estimating and not pissing off techs with low prices now. lol
Just a couple of mistakes that have been worked out.

This is a good idea if you are too busy to work the small things and he only gets paid for what he brings in.
Nice for me, nice for him.

Just throwing it out there in case any of you are thinking about hiring someone.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The main reason for him doing the pricing of the job is because he can spend more time than the Techs with the customer and really go over everything they might need such as

Carpet
Tile
Upholstery
Protectant
Sealing
Deodorizer
carpet repair
house cleaning
dryer vent cleaning
etc.

Soon I will have landscaping and trash haulling on my list

by him spending more time and being separated from actually doing the cleaning etc. I believe we can get a higher price because of the customers perception of better customer service.
I believe their perception is true in that we spend more time with them and all that.

Ken or Steve can probably explain what I am saying a little better than I can.

I also have him let the customer know that if they need anything at all to ask us first. We my know a pro that can help. This helps with my Letip group. That's a win win because the more work I can send to, say my painter...the more he will think of me and refer me to his customers.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What you listed is more of what I would consider an estimator position.

They are selling but generally to a hot lead, someone that contacted you, wanting you to do the cleaning, but wanting to be closed.

Brian do you plan on setting up sales routes and having him doing some cold calling?

A salesman/saleswomen have routes for calls they make and the continually adding to and drop off prospects as they build and improve their routes.

Much tougher work as most of these people are initially going to give you some resistance until they gain some level of trust in you and you develop a relationship. (not in the Danny kind of way)
:mrgreen:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Good estimators are retired fireman. Send them out to give an estimate pay them $20-25 each one and part of the upsell. Before you know it BANG all the people who loved him before are buying your cleaning plus they are very affable and shmooze well

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I didn't mention.

The primary idea of hiring Joe was really to focus on commercial accounts. We have a ton of commercial buildings around here.
I am working on getting him comfortable in this company so he will be able to cold call them with some confidence.
I will work with him on the best way to get in the door and who to talk to.

I'm pretty good at it, just time doesn't alway permit me to focus on that...which it needs.

So as we grow, I will see which areas he is best suited for and go from there.
I just want to make sure he has a handle on the day to day operations so he can be utilized where ever if necessary.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
That should leave more time for you to give facials, see if clients are fall or winter and cosmetic home parties.

If you encap it will open the door to lots of commercial accounts by separating your company from the pack.

I picked up several month commercial accounts this year that love the results and convenience of encapping over HWE.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
who are the people who walk through all those buildings before doing fire inspections?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave Yoakum said:
That should leave more time for you to give facials, see if clients are fall or winter and cosmetic home parties.

If you encap it will open the door to lots of commercial accounts by separating your company from the pack.

I picked up several month commercial accounts this year that love the results and convenience of encapping over HWE.

Yea, we can do brush and bonnet. Life is easier with that on our end as well...esp 3 or floors up.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
so after 25+ years you decided to become a complete hack and stop pretending yoakum?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Don't knock encap until you try it.

I was resistant to using this method also.Until I started using it for some commercial clients that had recurring stains even after years of HWE from various companies.

After encap the spot were gone and the clients are impressed.

One wrote me a letter telling me how pleased they were with the results. No one else could match the results.

The Restaurant I use it on like the way it drys fast and their is no humidity or funky smell when they open in the morning.

I used it on a production food facility after they were frustrated with monthly HWE and the staff gave the maintenance man compliments when they returned on Monday.

The clients are happy I'm happy. Works for me.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
hey I have owned both products plus host for my few short years and I NEVER encap or host anything ever. All the situaltions you mention could be encapped for maintenance but not cleaning and if they were having those problems with you, shame on you

I seperated myself from the commercial pack by making sure I didn't pretend. Pile Lift, vacuum prescrub extract and post pad then airpath. That is seperation
would you rather
encap or Pile Lift, vacuum prescrub extract and post pad then airpath

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian Robison said:
I didn't mention.

The primary idea of hiring Joe was really to focus on commercial accounts. We have a ton of commercial buildings around here.
I am working on getting him comfortable in this company so he will be able to cold call them with some confidence.
I will work with him on the best way to get in the door and who to talk to.

I'm pretty good at it, just time doesn't alway permit me to focus on that...which it needs.

So as we grow, I will see which areas he is best suited for and go from there.
I just want to make sure he has a handle on the day to day operations so he can be utilized where ever if necessary.

Cold calling is fine for an owner operator. It’s something to do on slow days or between jobs. What you are doing is a little more dedicated sales. He should have an appointment setter. This will get him into bigger accounts, more accounts and he will be talking to the right person at the right time. Go on the bigger prospects with him at first. I spent years working as a Jani-King franchise. The worlds largest commercial cleaning franchise. That’s exactly how they and all other large commercial cleaning operations got their business. Write a script out for an appointment setter and give it a couple of weeks you will be impressed with the results. Here is a standard script: good morning my name is Brian with Priority cleaning. May I speak to the person responsible for hiring the cleaning service? (Repeat: Brian w /Priority) Are you 100% satisfied with your current janitorial and carpet cleaning service?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian Robison said:
I would think something in the mail would at least start the name recognition

Name recognition isn’t as important with commercial. Business want to do business with people they know, people they trust not a company they know of. One of the regional directors for Jani-king was always telling me “We are in the relationship building business”. Remember you are usually asking them for the keys to the building. There is not much chance of something you mail out getting in the hands of a decision maker at just the right time. Just my 2 cents. I don’t really go after commercial this way because this method actually works better for janitorial. I want out of janitorial work and janitorial employees are a nightmare! I think commercial works well for your business model. If you have someone good to sub out the janitorial to you’ll pick up the project work to. Allot of the time it’s a package deal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom