Hole in the CDS waste tank.What can I do?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have a Hydramaster CDS machine and I just found a hole on the bottom of the graywater tank.
I know the best thing to do is taking the tank out and having it welded Or getting a new machine.
Short of that, has anybody here tried to fix a leak like that with epoxy putty?
They make different kinds.One specifically for plumbing that is supposed to be able to set even under water.
I can reach that hole from the outside of the tank It is 1" back from the front edge on the bottom of the tank by the passenger side.So it would be impossible to weld it in place but I can reach it with my hands, so I could possibly apply some kind of sealant.I'm wondering since most of the pressure on the tank comes from the vaccum if an epoxy patch might not be able to do the trick.Or is there maybe another method to fix something like that?I was also thinking I could make a patch out of a coke can and use JB Weld to bond it to the tank and then use the epoxy over the patch.
What should I do?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Re: Hole in the tank.What can I do?

I had a bunch leaks of leaks on my old square fresh tank and I cleaned it out and dried it real good and used water prof JB weld on the cracks and holes and it held up pretty good........I think that if the tank would of stopped contracting so bad it might of held longer....but it buckled to much and sooner or later it cracked the weld....yours being at the bottom would probably hold longer..just make sure it is real clean and dry....

this is only a quick fix...don't expect it to last forever.............

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Two Part ....MARINE EPOXY.....

My BASS TRACKER .....Boat developed a hole in the transom....from electrolysis &
friction from a mounted transducer....THERE was NOTHING left of the alumnium... :evil:

Applied the EPOXY....No sign of a leak in 3 years..."this hole is below the water-line"

Holding...PERFECT....Lots of bending & flexing..... 8)

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller

I have a friend that used goop and marine ply on the outside. His is in the bottom and it's held up fine. I do like the idea of the marine expoxy. It is designed for below the water line. Like Jim said, make sure it clean and dry.

Gene

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

This is the best argument for regular cleaning of waste tanks on machines with tanks made of aluminum.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

It's....Earnhardt.....
Lay of the PBR

John Watson

Hey Roxy, is it on a welded seam or just a hole in the side or bottum plate?? JB Weld, 2 part epoxy even just a dab of caulking could possibly do it.

If its a seam and on the weld you need to drill each side to stop the crack from continuing on and on.. Hope this helps....

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy

Thanks everybody.As always great help.I found an epoxy product at a marine supply place called aluminox.The leak was on a flat part on the bottom of the tank.I sanded it ,put a layer of the stuff on and squeezed it through the hole.Then I put a piece from a coke can over it and another layer of the aluminox.
Tomorrow I'll do my first job with the patch.I'll let you know.
Now I'm worried that my whole tank is going to do that over time.I'm not sure if it is worth it to remove the tank and have a new bottom welded on.What if the next leak is in a place where i can't reach it?
Is there some kind of coating I can maybe paint on the inside of the tank to prevent any more deterioration?

joe harper

Name
joe harper

There is one thing you can do... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

"WASH THE DAMN TANK".. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I am sorry that you are having this problem....I don't know if you bought used or new.. :?:

If you purchased it NEW......Then I have NO sympathy for you.... :roll:

It just TICK,s me OFF... :evil: When guys post what a piece-of-sh@t a machine is......
When they are too LAZY....to at least wash out a tank DAILY.....This type of PRE-MATURE
FAILURE is completely AVOIDABLE...... :oops:

How do you explain to your cleint.....That you can clean there carpet....When you crank-up
your unit....And STINK-UP the whole neighborhood, with your SEWER PLANT on WHEELS...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller

I never knew you were supposed to wash out a tank.
I haven't had any leaks yet. Why are you washing it out?

Gene

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy

I bought my truck used, from Bryan at DA Burns in Seattle.It has seen a bit of action before I got it.Maybe it was a little long in the tooth and that's why they sold it.I knew very little about this business and everything that is involved at the time i bought it.I had the truck checked out and the CDS machine too but unfortunately not the inside of the tank.But I think it is still a nice truck and I don't think I got taken.Anything used will have it's flaws and I'm prepared to spend some extra money and effort to keep it in good shape.I fixed it up quite a bit and mostly I'm happy with it.
Since i have owned it i always completely drain out the tank after use ( didn't know I should clean it too) but it was pitted when i got it and the damage was already done.
I'm just hoping this leak isn't the first of many more to come.I found out from LPM that it is about 300.- to take out the tank and put it back in.Not horrible and if it would cost another 300.- to weld in a new bottom( I don't know if that is in the ballpark)that would hurt but would not be the end of the world.But of course i am hoping I won't have to go that far.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy

By the way, Ben about the overly enthusiastic use of the emoticons, this is what I think about that: :roll:
But I'm always happy to take constructive advice and really apprecciate that there is a community here, and that you guys take the time to help newbies like me. :D

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Roxy,

You will have to EXCUSE me... :oops: "I am OLD and i think it is just PMS... :lol:

I didn't deserve you 'CIVIL" response....."It is good to see you can take a PuNcH"

I see by your profile....you are NEW to the Biz.. 8) ..With your attitude...you will
be VERY sucessful... :wink:

ps Gene..PLEASE tell me youare "KIDDING"..... :?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy

I did two jobs today and the patch seems too be holding.Bone dry unter the tank.I'm very happy.No leaks except for the Hot Cold valve which drips in the cold position.So I need to fix that next.Doesn't look too difficult.
I used to have a british car a 62 Triumph TR4 so I'm used to a certain amount of tinkering.
One more time about cleaning the tank.
I drain it every time after use. Is there any product or maintenance procedure that might keep my tank from corroding any more than it already has?

Name
Lee Stockwell

Gotta love stainless steel!

Good advice above. Some cleaning agents are particularly corrosive to aluminum. Empty and rinse often. Find a good spot to dump that has an angle to allow full discharge. (In Kentucky no problem).

Greenie

Go to LPM and tell them you want a Sacrificial Anode.

Me personally, where there is one hole, there will be more, just the nature of Alum. tanks that were not kept crystal clean.

I'd be looking for a gallon can of epoxy I could pour across the entire bottom, just keep an eye on the dump valve plumbing.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy

A sacrificial Anode.Interesting.I know they use them on boats to keep the saltwater from destroying them.I'll look into it.
About the epoxy. I thought about doing something like that.Has anybody here actually done that to their tank?
I guess if the epoxy is viscous enough it will find its own level, because there are parts of the bottom that would be difficult for me to get to.But I suppose if I get most of it that's better than nothing?
I suppose I would have to powerwash the inside first to get the bottom clean enough for the epoxy to stick.I am a little worried about the epoxy reacting with the cleaning solutions and somehow turning into a guey mess.Is that a possibility?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

Both Greenie's suggestions are great. Just be sure you get the tank bottom spotlessly clean, and even scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad if you can. If the epoxy doesn't adhere, the corrosive solution will creep underneath, and be trapped. You won't be able to rinse it out.

Epoxy is pretty tough stuff, unless you are extracting a Dimethylformamide or Methylene Chloride spill, it should stay put.

Oh yeah, if you later have welding done on the outside, do your weldor a favor and be sure he knows about the epoxy on the inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom