honda engine running on one cylinder

easy1dave

It will some time run on two for a few seconds then on one.Is there anyway to know if it is the coil.What else could it be.I put new plugs in it.

danpauselius

There are 4 things to look at.

1. Ignition
2. Fuel
3. Compression
4. Timing

These are the ONLY reasons that power is not produced in an internal combustion engine.

Becker

Name
Becker
I've been banging my head with a similar problem, but on my boat. No spark! None of the cylinders.

Replaced the coil, plugs, cap, rotor.

Pulled it to the shop today, they are 2-3 weeks out. Summer will be over by then.

How many hours on the honda?

Trace the wire back looking for shorts, Also check the boot that slips over the plug.

Check all the wired connections.

KBRENNY

Honda's V twin engines are known for burning up ignition coils especially on carpet machines mounted in vans because of the heat. There is a box that controls shutting the spark off to kill the engine but it controls both coils. I have had the very same problem in the past, once a coil goes bad it may work intermittently better chances when cold. Before I put the oil cooler on mine my coils lasted 6 months max. They are not cheap either. My guess is a bad coil. when it is running rough unplug one spark plug wire and you can find which one it is. The pics of my oil cool mod are in the 1000 words room under plumbing upgrade post. It really helped with the coil problem and has not happened since the install. If you have any questions about the cooler or the coils email me.

DCP_1747.jpg

danpauselius

If you are gonna pull the wire while it's running, I'd like to make another suggestion:

Use a pair of well insulated spark plug pliers. I've been zapped a few times doing this ... it hurts. The most dangerous part is that the scare may cause you to react without thinking. Next thing you know, your hand is somewhere it shouldn't be, or you inadvertently punch the inside of the truck, LOL.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
EasyDave;

Try an old plug gapped to about twice the standard gap.

If the coil is bad, it will only fire on one cylinder.

Larry Cobb
Cobb Carpet Supply

steve r

if your ignition is solid state dont pull the wire or you will short something i forget what.it has to be grounded or the juice will return to where it came and fry it.
it does sound like a coil by the way.

minuteman

Its your coil and wire to the spark plug,either one, its all one pice, just replace it.

Greg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom