Hooked up my Y in my waste tank...

I got my Y in from Judson friday and I just finshed hooking it up today and wow..there is an increase in vac from the machine itself..the concept makes sense but I will get to fully test it out tommorrow when I clean my own carpet. More flow less restriction makes sense....we will see..WM 1600 BTW..

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm certainly no expert and always a skeptic but if you use a y to join together two 2's and run it to the house with 2" hose I don't see a gain. If you run it to a 2.5" part way then I see the gain.

Most of the carpets I clean really aren't very dirty. I do occasionally get one. I have this one lady who because of all the shade never has any grass in her yard. She does have plenty of nice black dirt. I vacuum the heck out of it and I run 2 vacuums to the house which I y off of to a 50' 2" whip. The increased vacuum is amazing. I clean the entrance first then dry it with a blower while I'm cleaning the rest of the house. Half way threw it has turned nice and brown from the dirt wicking up so I clean it again then finish the rest of the house. It usually wicks up again so I clean it one last time with an encapsulating acid rinse. I'm the only cleaner she has ever had that left it clean with out having a wicking problem. I clean it with the rotovac which I wish was full 2" pipe. I also have another blower going, keeping it just in front of me so the rest will dry fast. So far so good. Sorry if I got off subject.

Gene

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Gene,

The Y from the two vacuum ports lessens restriction to give more vacuum, giving you a greater "choking point". When the second vac port isn't in use its plugged totally, and that increases the restriction lessening your availiable vacuum.

Greenie

GeneMiller said:
I'm certainly no expert and always a skeptic but if you use a y to join together two 2's and run it to the house with 2" hose I don't see a gain. If you run it to a 2.5" part way then I see the gain.
Gene

Gene, why would DOUBLING your vacuum hose area not logically sound like there "might" be a slight gain?

I'm doubly confused because you say you can understand a 56% increase in hose area (2.5" hose) would show a gain, but somehow "two 2's" might not? Both are notably larger.

Just trying to understand.

And in case I missed it, Curtis place that Y as clsoe to the wand as is reasonable, none of this 2' off of the waste tank business, that is the least effective use of the 2"Y. Now...a 2.5Y is a different story.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Greenie said:

Gene, why would DOUBLING your vacuum hose area not logically sound like there "might" be a slight gain?
Slight gain???

Going 4 to the door is a significant gain, and I used mine (#45 blower) using about a 30' section of 2" hose for a whip to the wand, off the Y. Had I used a 2.5" hose to the wand, it would have had even more vacuum.

It screams.

Gene,

I must admit I was a bit skeptical when this first came out, but after finally trying it, I can say for sure it makes quite a difference in increased vacuum available to the wand.

Of course you need either a 2.5" barb, or twin 2" barbs on your recovery tank, for it to scream vacuum.

You know how it is. You hear about some revolutionary new thing on these boards, and depending on what the cost is to set it up, you may be hesitant to go with it, based on what is said on these boards.

The 4 to the door setup works (when the vacuum system is plumbed correctly), but there are other things you read about on these boards that don't really give that much benefit.

It's kind of like looking at buying a high end stereo system (separate components and costs in the thousands of dollars), as you can spend double, or more, and maybe get a small, or no noticeable difference in the performance.

The best way to check out some of these things we read about, is to attend a CC gathering, if at all possible, so you can judge for yourself, or, if know another cleaner personally that you trust, who has seen these modifications, you'd feel better about your decision.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Greenie,

Maybe I misunderstood the use of the y. My way of using it gives you more vacuum because instead of cleaning at the end of of 200' with a single line it's like cleaning at the end of 50'. I'm sure we can all agree that 50' vs 200' will gie your more vacuum just from less friction loss. I don't believe adding a y right at the truck effectivly moving the attachment of the main vacuum line 1' closer to the house will help. If I am understanding correctly the use. One the other side of my 2" connections is a 4" line . That is the limit you will pull. I'm already connected straight to it at the filter box so I don't see how adding the y will open up more air flow but just restict down because of more resistant even as small as it would be. I'm not saying I'm right I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to me. However, I will test it because I do allready have the y.

Gene

Greenie

GeneMiller said:
"... I vacuum the heck out of it and I run 2 vacuums to the house which I y off of to a 50' 2" whip. The increased vacuum is amazing.

Gene

That settles it...Yes Gene you are currently running "4 to the door" continue to march, you get it!

The next step is cut your lead hose down to 25' of 2", and replace all your dual 2" hose with a single 2.5 for ease of use through the house.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Everyone that has two 2” 90 degree elbows off the recovery should have a Y. Most of the time the Y stays 6 foot from the recovery but it still help increase flow because of the restriction of the 90 degree elbows. I rarely make long hose runs but if I want I can run 4 to the door and move that Y down the line. Greenie should make a Y that brings two 2” into a 2.5”. That way guys don’t have to modify their machines if they want to try 2.5 hose.

Greenie

Like this?

DSC01731.jpg

Also with a base plate:

DSC01730.jpg

If you really want to maximize airflow, get one of these:
25ELdbl.jpg

25EL.jpg

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Way to put my ideas into action. :p
You’re a fast wielder. :shock:

Just kidding, you’re the man Greenie!
I guess you have thought of everything.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
GeneMiller said:

Most of the carpets I clean really aren't very dirty. I do occasionally get one. I have this one lady who because of all the shade never has any grass in her yard. She does have plenty of nice black dirt. I vacuum the heck out of it and I run 2 vacuums to the house which I y off of to a 50' 2" whip. The increased vacuum is amazing. I clean the entrance first then dry it with a blower while I'm cleaning the rest of the house. Half way threw it has turned nice and brown from the dirt wicking up so I clean it again then finish the rest of the house. It usually wicks up again so I clean it one last time with an encapsulating acid rinse. I'm the only cleaner she has ever had that left it clean with out having a wicking problem. I clean it with the rotovac which I wish was full 2" pipe. I also have another blower going, keeping it just in front of me so the rest will dry fast. So far so good. Sorry if I got off subject.

Gene

What kind of dry vac are you using? A bag vac??

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Ron,

I have a kirby. The problem with that particular lady is her carpet never gets vacuumed properly. I pulled up the carpet at the entrance just to get a peek under neath and the pad was black. Short of pulling it up and vacuuming it I don't think there is a solution. It's not beyond me to do that but the area is to large and the furniture on it to heavy. If you have another idea I woud love to hear it .

Thanks Gene

T

The Magician

Can it be wicking from the pad/ Wet a peice of the padding with with your ceailning chemical. Let it dwell and try the white towel test. Try lowering your pressure

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Its not whats "under" the carpet as what's "in" the carpet. You already know it soil loaded, try a clear canister vac, vacuum as long as you can/are willing. You'll see it coming out. I've seen carpets like that where I've collected 4-5inches of soil in my canister from one 5 ft swath.

Then don't hit that area as hard with your floor wand; ie just do a light steam cleaning to avoid the wicking, OR flush the hec out of it with your stair tool or something like a pmf hand tool. Something that will really flush it deep.
Vacuuming will be the key.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Ron,

I see her on Friday and I'll take my canister and keep going until I see it stop coming out.
Thanks
Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom