Horrible business model

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Friday I called the Ford dealer to see how much it would cost to remove and replace the rear glass. The gasket needed to be replaced because it was leaking. They wanted me to pay $80 dollars for an estimate. They first have to look at to determine where the water is coming in. I looked at it for free and could clearly see where it was coming in. They do apply it to the repair, but they wouldn't tell me how much it would be "If the window had to come out and the gasket replaced. " I refuse to pay a fee for the right to let them do a repair and earn money.

I called an auto glass company and he told me $125 in less then a minute of conversation. No appointment necessary just come on buy. The motto on their door was " If we don't take care of the customer someone else will." No wonder the dealers are struggling. They could easily dominate the repair market using the glass guys motto.

Gene

Name
I'm Rick James
With related to our industry, does the customer prefer to have a quote over the phone or have to wait for someone to come out? Its a world of convenience now.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm finding that they want both. Weird, I offer to come out to anyone in my area but they still want an idea before I come out.
so I keep it small, give them the square footage price, talk about how some circumstances may raise the price like pet urine etc.
By the time I am done, they forget about the final price, I come out and give the pre inspection..or actually Joe does...and we do the job...hopefully with a few extras.

I would never charge for an estimate.
Hell, I would almost PAY to do an estimate....almost.

Name
I'm Rick James
Brian Robison said:
I'm finding that they want both. Weird, I offer to come out to anyone in my area but they still want an idea before I come out.
so I keep it small, give them the square footage price, talk about how some circumstances may raise the price like pet urine etc.
By the time I am done, they forget about the final price, I come out and give the pre inspection..or actually Joe does...and we do the job...hopefully with a few extras.

I would never charge for an estimate.
Hell, I would almost PAY to do an estimate....almost.

You probably offer good value and give off a good vibe to the customer. I have won many customers from competitors that charged less, by talking about value and having good communication skills.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
My people skill have helped me a lot...just not on this board.

I make the customer feel at ease and I am very friendly by nature.
Non threatening and do what I tell them I am going to do.

Name
Jesse
Most of the dealership experiences I've had have been negative enough that I regretted going there. My last and final Ford incident they hit me with over $800 in estimates on BS I didn't need + about $1700 for the repairs I did authorize. The manager wouldn't even listen and had a very bad attitude.

It all comes down to this, It's very hard to just rape someone a little bit if nobody can stop you.

Name
I'm Rick James
Brian Robison said:
My people skill have helped me a lot...just not on this board.

I make the customer feel at ease and I am very friendly by nature.
Non threatening and do what I tell them I am going to do.

Have you been to Steemers website lately. They have videos of what they are going to do. Very cool.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Every time I have a bad experience with a business like that I take a vow never to run my business that way. This is how I run my business: Up front easy to understand pricing, no hidden charges, if you’re not happy I’m make it right or your money back. I guess I shouldn’t brag about these things because it’s the right thing to do. Integrity has become so rare these days that I do take a little selfish pride in treating people right.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
The last time I went looking for a new truck I asked "How much is that truck?" 15 minutes later after a lot of bs still no price. I told the guy if I did that to his wife when I came out to clean his carpet he would track me down and hurt me. What a moron. Went down the street and bought from another dealer. GM should have gone out of business and been replaced by an upfront company.
Al

G

I have a 07 Toyota Tundra and the wipers blades broke from ice and the auto supply did'nt have the blades yet
becasue its to new so I had to go to the dealer, a $ 147 for 2 wiper blades!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
My transmission went bad.
I thought I still had the warrantee so I went to the dealership.
Turns out my warrantee expeired by a few months.

Should have seen the dealership clerk's face when I told him I'd rather pay more then give the dealership my business. I asked him to use their phone and had my van towed to my trusted mechanic.

He is always there for me when I need an urgent repair (Aren't they always urgent for carpet cleaners?) His prices are reasonable and unlike the dealership, I trust him.

First time I had a warantee- dealership repair, they held my van idle for about 7 days in the middle of my busiest time of the year.
Never will a dealership get my business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
My mechanic can do warranty work.

You dont have to bring it to a dealer just because of the warranty.

I wouldn't bring my vehicle to a dealer because of the crappy customer service.

Bring it to a good shop that has the owner behind the counter somewhere.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I tend to drive my vehicles for far too long- not because I can't afford a new or newer vehicles but sinmply because I dislike the antics of the sales people.

Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS There is a reason why the American auto makers are now wards of the government and much of it (not all) is due the points brought out above.

And don't even get me started on the customer experience delivered by the airlines, American in particular ... OK, now I'm off on a rant. To see it just go here ... http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/164 ... o-i-bother

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
It's sad so many people have stories like that. Don't they know that they could own the repair business with great customer service and prices just a little higher. I would pay an extra 20 or 30% at the dealer for their expertise.

Gene

nickreal

We charge 20 dollars to show up and deduct it from the price of the work if they choose us. It works perfect for turning away the problem clients. It does a lot for closing the sale too if they have to pay you to leave.

Free Estimates need to go away in the service industry period. Doctors or Dentists don't give free estimates. Within a year or two I hope to be getting a credit card number over the phone before scheduling a tech to show up. You can't even reserve a room without giving them a credit card number and they don't even have to use any fuel or pay a technician if you cancel the reservation.

Rick N.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
That's a good idea....if you can make it happen.

Not sure too many people will give up a credit card over the phone for a cleaning estimate.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
By the way
Nick/Rick
No offense but that has to be the worst looking website I've seen on here.

There are a few who come close...but I think yours may take the cake.

Can you do something to improve it? Is it getting you business?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom