Horrible filtration staining

Mikey P

Administrator
Along almost every wall in five rooms. Especially bad in closets. Can't recall seeing worse.

What would YOU do?

20130606_132625_zps68a4e4b4.jpg

20130606_132644_zps8328b5cf.jpg

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I'd squirt some purple power all along the edge, rub it in with my shoe and rinse it away. Actually I had one last week that only came out as good as yours. I wonder if some dinge away would help.

Ron K

Really like Filter product from Bridgepoint. Seen a lot worse though.

Name
I'm Rick James
Do you have after pictures? You can also use a upright grout brush with a thick rag attached to it to easily agitate the filtration lines.. won't mess up the walls.

Mikey P

Administrator
So are you all committing to hand and knees scrubbing of all edges in three large rooms, halls, vanity, closets, steps, and moving lots of furniture to get to it all?

How much would you tack on for such a service?

Name
Steve Lawrence
I'd explain the problem to the customer, give a sample of what's achievable and charge about $1 per linear foot extra to make a big improvement if they will be satisfied with representative sample.

Able 1

Name
Keith
That's not bad at all.. Around here it gets much worse. I would charge $1 a linear foot also if it were throughout the house..
th_069-1.jpgth_070-1.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
So I would imagine that if you've seen worse then your seeing it FAR more often than we are.

Heavy use of your HVACs I suppose..

I would ask a lot more than $40 to hand scrub a 10 by 10 room..
Walking into a house full is going to putaserious delay on your days route.

So be honest, how often do you get takers at that price?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Not many takers even at that price, but at least I offer instead of saying "that's not coming out"..

Name
Steve Lawrence
Some takers but not many. It doesn't all have to be hand scrubbed. It's pretty profitable. When the customer doesn't go for it then we're off the hook for all that extra effort and they're saying they'll be satisfied with the job regardless of edge improvement. Even when the customer doesn't go for it we'll usually work on some of the most obvious filtration soil without going overboard.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Oh we got plenty of pest control chemsn up here in Michigan--usually leaves an orangish line--also typically permanent stains quite often on most home carpet fabrics, sadly, LOL.

Ron K

I don't know why we see quite a bit..... under door lines are pretty easy...... at least they get Vacuumed. We start at a dollar per foot charge, usually pick a real bad area and show the results of a foot or so. This way we know how bad it is and the customer can judge whether it's worth it or not. Honestly it is a real PIA.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
We explain the problem and possible causes and then we tell them $1 a foot.

If its a staircase and need to do all corners vertical and horizontal, I'd say a 100bucks. Normal set of stairs without filtration I would charge 45bucks.
Not many will go for it...

I would reach for the grout brush (long handle standing up) and scrub it. I would pretreat it with fels creme. Rinse well.

That's not that bad what you are showing Mikey....

Name
BradFenstermaker
Yeah we have it here Mike. Most will only want what the common area's show to guest. Sometime's I just raise the wand and air wand some emulsifier on the edge. Scrub with brush on handle if really bad. Then rinse.

White and lite colored carpets of course always are harder. Releasit is pretty good too. Spray and agitate and leave. I usually just try an area and price my extra time.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I was thinking of scrubbing with a grooming brush (not the grandi junk groomer but the brush) I like the grout brush idea.
I see it pretty often up here. As others have said, I explain what it is and what it takes to get it out. I explain ahead of time that it may not come completely out, even after scrubbing. But I'll take the HF sprayer and spray it almost pointblank all along the baseboard, then give it a light scrub. Using S&G or even O2 has been quite successful

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Does anyone use or like a crevice wand? I might buy an internal jet one that comes with a little rubber boot on the end for possibly tile cleaning.

but ive been putting it off cause no one seems to mention them.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Cleaned for a widower on Tuesday, carpet looked just like that, although the filtration soiling wasn't as bad. Wacky how it pops out on such a light colored plush. Couple of the worst areas I treated with renovate and got most out. 60 year old farmhouse, fortunately there was only carpet in 1 bedroom, livingroom. If i am feeling anal will treat with renavate and hand pre scrub with a terry towel, pretty vivid when you show the towel to the custy. Normally don't charge for small areas, larger ones I've charged around $0.70 / lineal ft for treatment. Have never moved contents for treatment.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Genie Care 1300 an' a wisk broom........an' MAYBE get them for a caulk job prior to the new install!

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
that's not all that bad, Big Slim

Does anyone use or like a crevice wand? I might buy an internal jet one that comes with a little rubber boot on the end for possibly tile cleaning.

but ive been putting it off cause no one seems to mention them.

No one mentions them cause they're one of those tools that gets bought, used once or twice and then gets buried in the corner of the garage with all the other useless tools

crevice tool isn't what you need, Joel.
4" to 6" hand tools work best on the most tenacious filtsoil
4" PMF enclosed jet (not "internal" jet) is a great one due to it's concentrated mega flush floodjet .
if you use a TM, be cautious of jet distortion though cause you may need to turn down the PSI for some carpet types like dense Saxony or cheap builders grade cut pile

After a good vac, (cause often it's pi55 poor housekeeping and not true filtsoil) we hammer it with strong butyl pre-sprays spiked with oxy, rub in some fels, add some "Florsheim" agitation and let it dwell

and hell yea we charge extra when it's severe and requires more than nuking ....and "hands and knees" work is needed
We also advise them whats needed to correct it by caulking at the floor and wall joints ...otherwise it will return

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
As mentioned, pest control chemicals that were used in the past did not cause soiling issues, but caused color loss instead. Those chemicals were taken out of the professional pest control operators arsenal as a result and are now no longer used. Perpetuating that myth today is to no ones benefit.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Shits all over here never comes out. Nobody can get it all out. Waste of time. That crap is all the way to the pad. It will be back in a week.

Golden Boy

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Strange or funny but we just don't see very much of it. Since 1986 that is the worse I can recall.

Maybe it's due to a more stable/moderate climate??..not too hot nor cold most of the year
windows open more than being closed up to run heat or air?

negative airflow is what causes it.
windows open would relieve that pressure

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
Yeah, I've seen that before in Asian and East Indian homes.
This job is a lightly used beach home

Like meAt says, they could be leaving the furnace on when away

Back
Top Bottom