Hot Water Tank

steamron

Name
Ron
I have a RainSoft water system in my home, I got it many years ago for the house and to fill my vans water tank, I mostly use the fresh water from my van I barely hook up.

I have gone through at least 4 home hot water tanks in the last 10 years maybe 11 years. Can the salt used with the Rainsoft cause the tank liner to constantly go bad?

The job of replacing sucks.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I do the same as you Ron, fill freshy with softened water and have been using the same water heater for 14 years. I assume your filling with cold water and not hot. Is your water heater gas or electric?

steamron

Name
Ron
I have a gas Water heater and go through them every 5 years or so.

I called AO Smith, the largest maker of heaters and they said that water softeners are very aggressive on the anode rod inside the water tank, and that once that is gone then the tank has no protection.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
He's probably full of it. I've been told by several plumbers that AO Smith are not the same as they used to be. They sold out to someone. I think it's ACE hardware but don't quote me.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I replace my anode rod in mine every year. And we replace them in about 18 apartments a week. Just like a camper its maintenance. They dont cost much. Wish my lg heater in the van had an anode rod.

Samsung galaxy S IV beta tester

Name
Steve Lawrence
I do the same as Ron and have the same issues with AO Smith water heater tanks corroding and failing after about 3 years. I have never replaced an anode rod but I'm sure going to give it a try.

steamron

Name
Ron
I should have mentioned,
that the first 2 heaters were SEARS and then I tried US CraftMaster. Now trying the AO Smith.

A. O. Smith Corporation is a manufacturer of both residential and commercial water heaters and boilers. It is the largest manufacturer and marketer of water heaters in North America.[2]:3 It also supplies water treatment products in the Asian market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
jack zerkie
Check the timmer on the rainsoft unit make sure that the unit back flushes only at nite when your in bed and not using it. If by chance your timmer is not set at the right time re set the timmer to cycle at nite when your sleeping, so the salt is not back flushing while you are using the water. jz.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I have gone through at least 4 home hot water tanks in the last 10 years maybe 11 years. Can the salt used with the Rainsoft cause the tank liner to constantly go bad?

The job of replacing sucks.

Lots of water heaters now fail because of this new mandated "safety device" [Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) Cutoff]

It permanently shuts down the heater when combustion air is limited by "lint" on the fire-arrestor screen.

Only solution a plumber has is full REPLACEMENT for a $2 part.

Don't ask me how I know ?

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/support/bulletins/TA_5001.pdf

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom