How did you solicit a Property Management Contract

ErikG

How did you first get some of your contracts ,Look in phone books cold call . Any info would be great

G

Re: How did you solicate Property Managment Contract

Try mailing a letter to every managers office at every apartment complex.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell

Make them a good offer to get in the door. You will have to mail to the same people over and over again to get a reply. The good part is with property owners if 1 likes you the rest will come

Able 1

Name
Keith

I agree Larry. It's funny my one master key seems to work 5 different property owners doors... Get in with one and they will spread the word.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L

Really?

You mean they all have lunch once a week and bring up your carpet cleaning?

I've never found that to be true because the managers come and go so often.

They don't like the way you look or you aren't cheap enough the next guy who visits their office gets the work.

Able 1

Name
Keith

:oops: I wasn't talking about managers... Property owners rather..

Willy P

Name
Willy P

I do a lot of work with property management. Do an outstanding job, give great service and toss a few jelly beans to the office staff. Endear yourself with them through excellence. The money is not that much of an issue once you prove to be a reliable asset to the sooth sailing of their business. Be prepared to work around painters and other contractors.

steve r

all of mine have called me out of the phone book.

ErikG

Thanks Guys For the Great Advice

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen

This is not rocket science, Erik.

1. Pick one fixed morning each week and dress decent.

2. Fill your pockets with your business cards.

3. Make a geographical route (less driving, more visits) of accounts you want to get.

4. Go and see them. If they are unsure offer to do a free trial. Leave your card either way.

5. Don't stop till you have left your card with 20 people.

6. IF you have booked one good job treat yourself to a nice lunch. If you've booked at least one long term contract take your wife out to a five star lunch and split a bottle of champagne. (This "rewarding yourself" system works. When I owned a computer systems house I hated selling computers. But every time I sold a large system I bought myself a new firearm. When we sold the business I owned 28 guns.)

7. Now here is the real secret to this technique, Erik. Never, ever stop the "20 business cards on one fixed morning of the week" routine. Most cc'ers do a variation of this procedure for a while till they get a few jobs, get sort of busy and then quit. Only to lose the work and then in "desperation mode" repeat the scenario again.

My two cents,
Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS The above is the short, Alabama version. If you want the eight page version of how I did it, Erik, just e-mail me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and put the words "Commercial Work" in the subject line. There is no charge for the information.

KOOSER55

Steve Toburen said:
This is not rocket science, Erik.

1. Pick one fixed morning each week and dress decent.

2. Fill your pockets with your business cards.

3. Make a geographical route (less driving, more visits) of accounts you want to get.

4. Go and see them. If they are unsure offer to do a free trial. Leave your card either way.

5. Don't stop till you have left your card with 20 people.

6. IF you have booked one good job treat yourself to a nice lunch. If you've booked at least one long term contract take your wife out to a five star lunch and split a bottle of champagne. (This "rewarding yourself" system works. When I owned a computer systems house I hated selling computers. But every time I sold a large system I bought myself a new firearm. When we sold the business I owned 28 guns.)

7. Now here is the real secret to this technique, Erik. Never, ever stop the "20 business cards on one fixed morning of the week" routine. Most cc'ers do a variation of this procedure for a while till they get a few jobs, get sort of busy and then quit. Only to lose the work and then in "desperation mode" repeat the scenario again.

My two cents,
Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS The above is the short, Alabama version. If you want the eight page version of how I did it, Erik, just e-mail me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and put the words "Commercial Work" in the subject line. There is no charge for the information.

I really like this idea im going start doing that this week and Ill post with my results

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu

what steve said...plus dont over extended yourself i think 8 to 10 apt complex with 200 units or above in each should keep you in good shape
and make sure to ask how long they take to pay......most will take 30days....... others will send you out to 60 sometimes 90 days ...you dont want them

being able to do repairs is a must if you want to make money

I agree with Steve the best way to get property managers is meeting them face to face....

If they say they already have a carpet cleaner ask them if they have a tile cleaner...I've gotten plenty of carpet jobs after cleaning the tile for someone who already had a carpet cleaner....

Farenheit251

For the most part they really don't care to hear from you anymore than you like being solicited or recieving junk mail. The one exception is when their current guy just screwed up. So it is not really so much about what you do but timing. I focus on frequency and soft sell so as not to make the frequency annoying. Ideally you just want to make sure you come to mind first when they need someone.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Tell'em that you'll walk ankle deep in turd water on Sunday to get the job....!

Name
Ron lippold
early in jan i spent 2 days going to meet every prop man firm in town and only scored 1 account. the pay on time and a decent wage, they give me 4-6 jobs per week. its nice at the end of the day to be able to knock out one more with no hickups.

RandyHilburn

Erik,

Our company has evolved over the the years and we're probably the largest apartment 'make-ready' service provider in the area. Our first carpet cleaning contract came based on our reputation and frequent soliciations (letters, emails, brochures, business cards, cold call visits, etc.). After that, we grew largely on referrals over several years.

However, one of the other guys brought up an important point - If you are trying to earn a living in the apartment carpet cleaning business, you must do repairs - and flood restoration work. The competitively driven price that most property management companies will pay for carpet cleaning is so low, that it would be difficult to build a successful business doing carpet cleaning alone! For us, straight-up carpet cleaning is practically a give-away service for the opportunity to make money with other services.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Apt work isn't what I am after.

I like prop managers that manage homes.

Those are the ones to go after.

All of mine have found me on the Internet.

Maybe I will go out and sell to a couple big ones.

Maybe I will answer more questions in the marketing room.

Surprised no one has moved this thread yet.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Brian sez:
"Maybe I will go out and sell to a couple big ones."

I AM biting my tongue on THAT comment!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom