How do U keep a rig from freezing w/out electricity?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Counting on any other fuel source other than electric is a big gamble with expensive equipment..
You could always do your in-laws a "favor" and have an electrician redo or clean up the panel and run you a separate dedicated line. Rent a ditch-witch and run some underground wire to a post. In-line digital electric meters can be found for a couple of hundred bucks.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
When I first bought my box van I put an RV heater in it. It was attached to the wall and had a hose that ran through the floor and attached to a propane tank I had bolted underneath (belly mount it's called). I could set it for low medium or high and it worked like a charm. I didn't need to leave the door open or anything like that. NO ventilation required. Since it was in the box there was no condensation on my front windows either. However it did condensate on the walls and turn a yellow icky color. It looked a lot like smokers lived in my box van the way it discolored my walls. I just power washed the walls at the end of winter. When it broke (ran it for at least five years) I just ran a heater off a cord.

Go to an RV dealer and ask them about heaters. They will have the answers you seek.

Bob Foster

George III said:
It's my daily driver and stored in a field at my inlaws when not in use.

I prefere not to rely on electricity because the nearest outlet is at least 150' away and the breaker box already looks like a birds nest. Also, there are too many cowboys, rednecks and hillbillys running loose out there for the cord to stay plugged-in. Furthermore, i don't want to be blamed for an $800 electric bill either. So, electricity is out~

Can anybody suggest a tested and true way for me to keep my rig from freezing without electricity? I prefere not to use antifreeze liquids either as this is my daily driver.

Thank you,
http://www.elstonmfg.com/cargo-heaters/ ... aters.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80000-BT ... 3cbc455e5e

http://www.northstarflameless.com/new/rec-6000.html

Mike Draper

Thanks Bob. the Elston one looks nice. I think I'll call them tomorrow. Prolly pricey though.

Becker

Name
Becker
Propane was a PITA..

Added so much time in the AM.. drying all the windows inside. Water would drip on my head under breaking from the ceiling of the van..

And because I had to keep the windows cracked otherwise the heater would run out of air and shut off. the side glass would freeze on the inside.

Once it was so cold and the ice built up is forced the window out of the track.

And I can't even tell you how many times my slider door froze shut.

Propane is fine for limited use.. but not daily.. IMO

Mike Draper

i dont think you'll have the moisture problem with the elston heater. I believe a fan draws the dry cabin air over a heated coil and the LP exhaust is diverted to the outside. I'm gonna call on it tomorrow and i'll find out.

John Watson

I said check on a RV Furnace run by propane and 12Volt.. They are vented to and exausted to the outside. No problem with the moisture when hooked up properly and if you just maintain a 50 degree at the floor instead of trying to keep it 90

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Goomer said:
Counting on any other fuel source other than electric is a big gamble with expensive equipment..
You could always do your in-laws a "favor" and have an electrician redo or clean up the panel and run you a separate dedicated line. Rent a ditch-witch and run some underground wire to a post. In-line digital electric meters can be found for a couple of hundred bucks.

That's what I do if I couldn't find indoor space somewhere.

Mike Draper

The els ton heater is $1,599.00 I think I'll be getting one of those. It has a thermostat so you can adjust it to the proper temp inside your truck. It heats a coil and draws inside cabin air over the coils and then through the cab. The propane exhaust is then directed outside through a vent. Easy and dependable. Definitely worth protecting your investment.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
How about... :idea:

NOT pissing off the HO association.."And ask for a VARIANCE on the days it is freezing"

If they will NOT accommodate.....PAY THE FINE.... !gotcha!

Most HO associations ....will allow LARGE vehicles on a TEMPORARY basis...BUT not consecutive days..!
Soooo...every 23 hours...Drive the SOB around the block & park it 1ft. form the original position..!

READ THE BY-LAWS... :roll:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Get better economy with the diesel heaters, the Webasto or the Espar. I was given a price of ~$1200 CDN for the Webasto. Don't know why they jumped in price, I was looking at them last year and they were less than a $1000 on ebay.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
A lot of commercial buildings are sitting empty these days. Find one connected to an office and get it inside with electric heat. It will keep the snow off too. Call the commercial realtors in your area. They could help you find something and it may be closer to your house and the hillbilly's roaming the countryside wont f with your truck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom