how do you charge for carpet cleaning and why?

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
There are many ways to charge for your carpet cleaning service. But let's dip into the pschlology of pricing.

Let's look at package pricing: benefits are that it is easy for the client to make a choice and takes "upselling" out of your hands.

What do you think are the negatives about package pricing

Then you have "a la carte" pricing where you have a base price and rely more on consulting their concerns and charging accordingly. You would then rely on upsales more to increase ticket price.

Share your thoughts about different pricing methodology. How do you charge and why?[*]

Name
Nate W.
bensurdi said:
There are many ways to charge for your carpet cleaning service. But let's dip into the pschlology of pricing.

Let's look at package pricing: benefits are that it is easy for the client to make a choice and takes "upselling" out of your hands.

Then you have "a la carte" pricing where you have a base price and rely more on consulting their concerns and charging accordingly. You would then rely on upsales more to increase ticket price.

Share your thoughts about different pricing methodology. How do you charge and why?[*]

Curious why you care, aren't you closing your business? Or do you just lie to craigslist viewers? :twisted:

Ryan

Being a marketing guru with your own program and stuff why don't you tell us?

I usually just tell 'em how much its gonna be to suck all the dirt out. 50% discount on commerical if they just want the dirt smeared instead of sucked.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I usually just tell 'em how much its gonna be to suck all the dirt out. 50% discount on commerical if they just want the dirt smeared instead of sucked.[/quote]

Now that's funny Ryan :-)

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
The only pricing I knew of was per room or per sf.

I choose per room to keep it simple, plus I don't have time to give estimates. I am not a great salesman, so I am more comfortable simply taking the appointment. Maybe not the best/most profitable way to do business, but I do stay busy, which suits my personality a bit better.

We include furn. moving, pre-spray, and attempt to remove stains. Sometimes will add a charge to pre-scrub the carpet, sometimes we just comp it if it is an easy job in other aspects.

I have been experimenting with whole-house cleaning specials with no room or s.f. limits and have had some success with that as well. The whole house deals have actually raised our job average.

I should also add that I use a helper full-time and we are VERY efficient, we have the van set up and each of us knows our routine so well that there is no wasted time or trips back to the truck during the job.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I think he's referring to:

Price by sqft

Price by room

Price by package deals.. ie 3 rooms for $$ Whole House for $$$

People who offer package prices: basic, Standard, and Full Service.

And people who look at a job, figure the time and what people want and shoot from the hip with no set prices. One room may clean for $300.00, another for $150... just trying to figure it to make a profit.

Sooo... what do people price and why?

Name
I'm Rick James
I have been experimenting with whole-house cleaning specials with no room or s.f. limits and have had some success with that as well. The whole house deals have actually raised our job average

Chris what do you charge for a whole house and what is the averge size houses you do?

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Better question is how cheap are the customers you serve. How many call do you get that end up saying oh I found some one cheaper. If they are looking for a $70 5 room cleaning then I hope they find and get that $70 service. Hard to land those kind of customers

rstrick said:
Better question is how cheap are the customers you serve. How many call do you get that end up saying oh I found some one cheaper. If they are looking for a $70 5 room cleaning then I hope they find and get that $70 service. Hard to land those kind of customers

I personally feel you either have to operate a first class referral/educational business or being completely opposite and be a greg cole bait and switch. If you have a good honest professional business, why not start another company and offer a cheaper service such as bonnet cleaning or shampoo and upsell deeper cleaning, deodorizer, sg etc. and basically make as much as possible and not worry about repeats. You could even sub jobs out like Cole. See anyone can operate a b and s company but Greg Cole could never operate a referral based company with low overhead. It takes time and great work to build one. So I say if you have a good business like Mikey or Jim Martin, why not handle price shoppers by subing the jobs out, or is that too much hassel and liability?

G

Nate The Great said:
bensurdi said:

Curious why you care, aren't you closing your business? Or do you just lie to craigslist viewers? :twisted:

How much are you selling your business for?

Name
Nate W.
ErictheRed said:
Nate The Great said:
bensurdi said:

How much are you selling your business for?

I'm not. Ben Surdi was selling his TM on craigslist saying he was "closing his business". His CL posting expired already.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I am increasing my by the room price to $45.00 so I can offer discounted package deals. I like to shock them with the price (180.00 for 3rms with closets and hall) then tell them; but we currently have a special three rooms cleaned for $120.00 including FREE closets and hallways NO HIDDEN CHARGES. I find that I am able to convert more price shoppers with this method. I finally understood what they were telling me when they said they were calling around. I assumed they were strictly looking for the lowest price. I have found by engaging them an offering my discounted price I am often able to book the job even if I don’t have the best price in town.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
ACE said:
I am increasing my by the room price to $45.00 so I can offer discounted package deals. I like to shock them with the price (180.00 for 3rms with closets and hall) then tell them; but we currently have a special three rooms cleaned for $120.00 including FREE closets and hallways NO HIDDEN CHARGES. I find that I am able to convert more price shoppers with this method. I finally understood what they were telling me when they said they were calling around. I assumed they were strictly looking for the lowest price. I have found by engaging them an offering my discounted price I am often able to book the job even if I don’t have the best price in town.

So, you increased your price by $45 so you could drop it $60 when they call? Huh?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
The price ($40.00 pre RM) Area has not changed, just the packaging. The price is not top dollar For quality cleaning, far from it But, it gets me in the door and with some up sell I make a good hourly rate.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
brent said:
I have been experimenting with whole-house cleaning specials with no room or s.f. limits and have had some success with that as well. The whole house deals have actually raised our job average

Chris what do you charge for a whole house and what is the averge size houses you do?

1 story house $129
2 story $199

The avg. 1 story home usually takes about 1 to 1.5 hours from pulling up to leaving, the sizes vary, but I have found that the bigger the home, the easier the job usually is.

2 story home averages 2.5 hours, includes stairs. Everything seems to average out on these deals. If I have a job that takes longer than usual the next job will usually be an easy one.

We get tons of referrals. $20 tips on 1 or 2 jobs a day. Usually the customer who goes for the whole house deal is a higher income bracket than the per-room customer.

There are tons of cheaper guys here so if a customer wants a $70 job, they can use someone else.

Name
I'm Rick James
I'm not. Ben Surdi was selling his TM on craigslist saying he was "closing his business". His CL posting expired already

I am pretty sure that wasnt bens post on CL. It was the owner of the van that ben bought it from. As far as I know he is doing good, just opening up a rug cleaning plant.

Dan Joner

I like to keep things simple; I charge by the sq. ft. This way I also know that I'm not bound by the clock.

Name
Nate W.
brent said:
I'm not. Ben Surdi was selling his TM on craigslist saying he was "closing his business". His CL posting expired already

I am pretty sure that wasnt bens post on CL. It was the owner of the van that ben bought it from. As far as I know he is doing good, just opening up a rug cleaning plant.

With his logo on it and all. I'm Marty, idgas...... :lol:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I had a deal for whole house 2 story $249.00 up to 700 sqft and 1 staircase
Whole house single story $199.00 up to 700 sqft

We can still do that if they push for a deal...but we usually pre-inspect and price the job then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom