How do you clean & fix a Grout Perfect floor?

Name
George Valliant
Got a call from a custy who received a color seal job from me a couple years ago.

She says the grout is dirty, peeling and chipped and want's me to fix it.

i dislike color sealing because i knew this would become an issue sooner or later. I no longer offer the service but i decided it's good practice to pay her a visit and see what's going on.

I'm certain the floor will need professional cleaning. My first question is, what cleaning method should I use on a color sealed floor?

If the floor needs repair I'm worried that the new color will not exactly match the old because of oxidation, age, etc. What should I do? Re-seal the entire floor? What a PITA!! The custy is going to have a fit if I quote her big bucks to re-seal the whole house.

Anyone come across this yet?

Bucey

Name
FFA?
was wondering the same thing good thread going to be very informative!!!!!!!

Spurling

How about you clean it, sell her the product and show her how to do it .. tell her your knees cant handle that type of service anymore .. (if youre looking to get out of doing it)

Call Steve at GP .. he may have an answer .. maybe do the touch up and hope that it matches .. if not, she would have to pay for a colorseal job .. unless you gave her a 3 yr guarantee ..

She says, its dirty, peeling and chipped and wants you to fix it .. GREAT .. go over and give her an estimate for clean and touch up and an estimate for clean and colorseal all just incase the touch up dosent look right .. let her choose the option .. sounds like youre there to make money ..

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I understand the dirty but the peeling and chipped....it's not suppose to happen. It's been more then 2 years since a lot have been offering, if it's happening to more I too would like to hear about it.

Albert

Name
George Valliant
Thanks!

The house call is scheduled for this Wednesday and I'll take plenty of pictures for you.

The Grout Perfect job i did at my house is starting to look a little dark and dingy too. It's been down about 3 years now. Think I'll hit it with a nuetral cleaner, light scrub with a grout pole and a low pressure rinse with the Spinner to see if that restores the original color. Doubt it!

I'll keep you posted.

Name
George Valliant
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Just how long do you expect it to last when you don't clean it 'regularly' ?

That's a very good point!!!

I forgotten about the warranty they received but i downloaded it straight from the GP website. It stipulates they must have it professionally cleaned at least once a year otherwise it voids their warranty. So, that's my out if things get ugly.

I'm hoping it turns out to be a win-win situation. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quickie clean! Not likely though.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
It needs to be properly maintained by the homeowner or maid as often as they clean the floors, i tell them once a month, some people clean more often if they have a maid service. If you give them the proper products to clean, neutral cleaner, or do it the GP way on their site works too. We give a 1 year warranty on the service if they choose to not go with a yearly maintenance program warranty which you can set it up as a 5, 10, or lifetime warranty. The forms should discuss the warranty program, instructions on how to maintain the floors, and what will void the warranty if they do not clean the floors properly and or do not have you back once a year.

It's pure common sense.

SJA

When a customer calls and makes those claims ... my standard answer is no problem. If it is a product issue we will take care of it. Before I come out ... do me a favor ( I do all this on the phone ) take some windex & spray it on an area that you feel the product is not working. Let it dwell for 30 seconds and wipe or scrub with a brush. Then dry with a rag. 99% of the time the customer realizes that it is dirt on the sealer. At this point I offer to come out and rinse/extract the floor or explain how easy it is for her to clean it herself. I only say Windex because evryone has it and it is not some special cleaner.

I think that when you go out on Wednesday ... you should try the same thing ... then try some neutral cleaner or even a very diluted alk.

SJA

One more thing ... to clean do not go over 800 psi with a spinner. Use neutral cleaner, allow to dwell, maybe light scrub as needed and rinse and extract. Feel free to call me in the am ... let me know what time your appt is.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
we have color seal jobs that have been down for 4 years and no issues other than the magic eraser
one cust decided to use..we touched it up for free as it is a great cust and re educated her..
i dont clean color seal jobs at higher than 600 psi and a very very light brushing..and dont let
your neutral cleaner dwell for too long..
dave

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
exactly why I quit doing it. i gave out 10 year warranties and had to repair plenty. did them all for free , no better advertising.

gene

Name
George Valliant
The custy called today and re-scheduled for the end of the month.

I asked again what's going on with her grout and she said it was discolored in some areas. This time she made no mention of peeling.

Sounds like a straight forward cleaning is all it needs.

A nuetral cleaner, light scrub, and a couple passes w/ my new Stryker wand that should be arriving next week. :-) Or the spinner on low PSI.

SFC

Pretty tough to peal as it does have some bite into the grout. I was kinda wondering how that would happen. Stiff grout brush, I guess

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom