How do you clean Tavertine?

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
And any other expensive stone. I don't want duplicable instructions. I don't expect to read the post and do it, I just want a general idea. I want to start studying stone before I take my tile class. What do you do to wreck these stones? Marble, Limestone, etc etc...

Horror stories?

I will use the search function as well.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Are we talking daily cleaning, restorative cleaning? honed and filled? Ancient? tumbled? Polished marble.. ext.. there are alot of variables that go into cleaning.. Was the stone sealed initiallly? has it been waxed? did they use a sanded grout or an epoxy resin grout? If it was sealed did they use a natural or an enhancer?

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
Cleaning and restoring are 2 different words in my dictionary.Cleaning is pretty straight forward.You mentioned wrecking,that's real easy,fixing it is another story if you haven't done any of this previously.

Go buy some HD or L. cheapo stone tiles and then find some good stuff,stick it to your garage floor and have at it.What ever you read online from the ses boards,use as a guide only.Just like anything elese,use what works for you and toss out what doesn't.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Heavily soiled in a small walkway portion of about 4X3, everything else looks well maintained. Owned and maintained by a flooring salesman.

I am going to be getting into tile and grout. I want to know what damage I can do, how difficult some jobs will be, a little information to give me the edge before i go in for my certs, and a list of equipment I should buy....

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Alot of stones are sensative to Acids cleaning products because they can etch the service of the tile. This fact is more important with polished marbled, polished onyx, or honed travertine and for an apparent reason, you will visually see a problem. So for Travertine keep your cleaning on the alkaline side and try to leave it in a neutral state.

Also all stone is pourous and should be sealed at the time of installation.. however there are alot of installers who skimp this step and so you end up fighting a loosing battle becasue the stone has absorbed so much oil and stains that they are somewhat permanent.

When preinspecting, make mention of alot of a floor bounce and also know the condition of the grout before hand. If its cracked, has it been colored or color sealed in the past, and how will your cleaning effect this. If its a loose sanded grout and you attempt to clean with a turbo at 1200 psi, you could blast the grout right out. A tumbled travertine should have been back buttered to fill in some under lying fishers in the rock as well as top grouted to fill all the holes. However occacisionally you get a fisher just small enought to stay between a tile and these can cause the tile to split or deteriorate.

Just a little info to chew on.

Gary T

Cleaning stone really isn't too scary. Don't use just any alkaline as some stone is alkaline sensitive as well as acid sensitive. Use an alkaline cleaner made for use on stone, especially polished stone. Do not use a hard wand, glided or other on polished stone. You can scratch it. Use a tool with a brush ring or other soft surface and make sure there is no debris stuck in it, mainly on polished surfaces.

Mostly you will find the stone is dirty from cleaner residue and cleans rather easily. Keep your heat lower, 180*-210*, and psi around 800. Be even more careful with most limestones as you can leave swirl marks with a turbo type tool with too much psi.

Not all stone is porous or needs to be sealed, especially polished stone, some do though. Test. Pour a small puddle of water, let it sit for 15 min and wipe it up. If it is darker where the water was, it can be sealed. If not, leave it alone!

I like TOG Stone Prep for cleaning.

Good luck.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have an introductory Cleaning & Maitenance Guide for stone and tile. Includes a catalog of products along with lots of good information.

I will be glad to send a free copy to anyone who asks for it. It is a 10 Meg file that I can email if your ISP allows files that large or I can send it by regular mail.

Scott Warrington
Techncial Support
Interlink Supply / Bridgepoint Systems

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom