How do you deal w/custys not telling you they had a flood and just want cleaning?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, because of the major flooding we had in the area, I'm starting to get calls from home owners that dried everything on their own. They are not telling us this at time of booking.

Example: Get to an apt complex today(dump, but money is money), turns out the entire first floor was flooded for five days, it's dry now... Landlord just wants cleaning, renter is freaking out...

As far as cleaning goes, obviously a total dump(worst case scenario) like this with slumlords is not something I'd like to be involved in. Landlord basically told her move out or clean the carpets.

Generally speaking, client has a flood and dries it themself. You get there to clean and find out about the flood and carpets not totally dry... Not being a wdr expert, I'd assume adding more water by cleaning is the last thing that should be done.

How do you deal w/this? After a flood, do I just need to start asking all calls if they had a flood?

thanks guys...

Name
Steve Lawrence
Could be that they are hoping that cleaning will solve all WDR issues. I'd let them know that it won't and they need to have the place professionally dried.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Explain the limitations of cleaning. Note you are not a drying company, you recommend this and that. Have tennant's and slumlord sign Waiver and proceed making money.

It may not really help but we feel better with the waiver thing. Use it on upholstery, urine decon, extractions or any questionable situations. I don't to any WDR either but do take care of small extractions without drying it.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If it was rising water,I don't think the walls are dry but that's just me.

Like someone stated above list it on invoice.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Not being a wdr expert, I'd assume adding more water by cleaning is the last thing that should be done.

Seems like most are saying it's okay to clean carpets still wet from water damage...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Mike,
I'm really just trying to get some general info/advice on when I can clean something after water damage or water in a basement. I'm getting calls from people who dried their own carpet and I'm finding wet tack strips, damp spots and so on.

I've always thought it had to be dry before you can clean. Last thing I need is to "own" someone else's problem.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
in my opinion the direct answer to your question is..if its still wet no
if its dry yes

i say this because if its still wet the pad is still wet and it needs to be dried out..

if its dry than its dry..

just my opinion and how i would handle the situation

but always mark the invoice of any and all info you know..

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Good advice all around. If it is wet walk. If it is dry get waivers and write in big bold letters that you are not mitigating the flood but only cleaning the carpet which will in no way effect or reverse the damage and or any microbial contamination caused by the severe water damage that has occurred. You put that on the invoice and not only will the tenant be freaked but the landlord too. Renters have rights most don't know it but they have rights and living in a clean and safe environment is one of them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jerry those can be real problem jobs, wet or dry you are getting a carpet that is sure to have a problem with odor. The only exception glue down, where most glue down can be handled decently by a homeowner with rental drying equipment.

If you have the time and want to venture out inspecting these you should have a moisture probe and a non destructive meter (Tramex).
Check all carpet and cushion, check lower walls where they may have gotten some water intrusion. Latent odors are from microbial activity, something is still wet. Carpet backing, carpet cushion, lower dry wall or base boards. Something, as long as there is good communication and great documentation you should be able to help them in some way.

Personally once that pad smells we recommend to remove it, it can be saved but on a hot summers day with high humidity it could cause odor. If they agree, tear out the pad, fold the carpet back and spray it heavily with an antimicrobial, lay it back down and clean it and leaving a few airmovers and a dehumidifier if needed. Once dry the new cushion can be reinstalled and it should be fine.

Walls, if you find some areas showing moisture they have there choices, 1) do nothing (Stoopie) 2) you dry them (probably not the best choice now as long as they have remained wet) 3) remove and dry cavity. Remove and dry is probably their best choice.....but it is their house so you can only give them options. Should they choose not to do what you recommend just be sure to write it on your invoice for both of you to keep.

Lots of work can still be done but just make sure you're not liable for anything they did or caused.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Thank's guys...

Anyone have a suggestion on a nice meter to start out with? Something to help protect myself.

Name
Yohance
How do you deal w/custys not telling you they had a flood and just want cleanin

I will take out the moisture meter to show the landlord whether or not if its still wet. Then advise carpet cleaning want fix this matter and if that's not enough then I will walk.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hydrosensor moisture detector, can also pull double duty for finding urine.

If checking walls you'll also want a Tramex non destructive moisture meter.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Getting the same calls, and lots of them.

As stated above, if they are still wet after that long - either get approval to tearout pad (at minimum), open up the wall cavities, and dry, or walk.

A carpet cleaning isn't worth even the most frivolous of suits, and you are looking at a ripe for the picking situation to that end - and if they have a vapor barrier pad - you are cleaning something that won't ever dry anyway (at least not in May of 2013).

If you are worried they are hiding it, pull a corner, look at the tack, that would be the last thing under a carpet to dry. Wet tack, or new rust on the spikes is a dead giveaway.

If they don't fess up - decline service.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom