how do you define "wear" ?

Mikey P

Administrator
In regards to carpeting, AI says "Wear or texture change to an area of carpet that has been damaged by friction caused by rubbing or foot traffic."

We know though the mills determin wear as actual loss of fiber, which is nonsence, but is what it is..
I'd like to hear what you tell your customers to let them know it may be time to replace if cleaning alone isnt making them happy with the results.

as well as how you describe wear in other surface such as stone floors and counters or upholstery fabrics..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Pad cleaners should be well aware of wear.

My fingers were poised and ready, and Marty beat me to it............ :biggrin:

The deceptive use of the term "wear" by the carpet industry was the exact reason that I gave up on being a carpet inspector after a couple of years.

With the increased use of "the polys" in our era, addressing fiber and yarn distortion is more important than ever.

Matt Perretti

Name
matthew perretti
I always use the car wash example... it removes dirt debris and bug splatter but the dent from your new driver hitting the mail box is still there (that's wear)... I cant put life back in the carpet... With most house wife's I tell them you regularly get trims to get rid of split ends and dead hair, this is what your carpet fibers are doing except I can only clean these not trim them and grow new lol

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
had this for years, a lucite? rod ,clear, but scuffed with sandpaper up on the end.

20240910_120103[1].jpg

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Depends on do we type they have on what speech they get.

Polys and olefins get the same it's not crush resistant, subject to pooling and loss of pile density in high traffic areas.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm more interested in how you, the veteren owner would explain it to your (idiot ) 16 yo son who is in his first week of discovery, that he too will be an old sour puss premium janitor, dying of lung cancer, just like pops .

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Crushed fiber

I always compare it to a million bent tiny drinking straws with that line in the bend of each of those straws reflecting a darker image of the light reflecting, which is the image of wear

I don’t know how accurate that is, but it’s a good parable to put in the customers mind of something they can relate to in a way to comprehend it

Luky

Name
Mario
In regards to carpeting, AI says "Wear or texture change to an area of carpet that has been damaged by friction caused by rubbing or foot traffic."

We know though the mills determin wear as actual loss of fiber, which is nonsence, but is what it is..
I'd like to hear what you tell your customers to let them know it may be time to replace if cleaning alone isnt making them happy with the results.

as well as how you describe wear in other surface such as stone floors and counters or upholstery fabrics..
Are you still working on your manual, huh?

From the homeowner's perspective, the definition of the wear of the carpet is dependent on their budget. Year after year I listen to the same story; " we're replacing the carpeting next year, just do your best" The carpet in question is twenty-five years old with about 1/8 " of material left ( mostly delaminated backing of the carpet). I don't want to get too sophisticated, and I don't expect the average carpet cleaner to understand, but we all succumb ( as homeowners) to the effect of adaptive camouflage. Even though this term is more appropriate for use in nature, it can be applicable in our industry. Residents of the household can't grasp the gradual deterioration of surfaces, carpeting, hardwood floors, etc. They call for help when it is too late, and the carpet or the hardwood floors need to be replaced.

So, I would define wear as the natural gradual surface deterioration regardless of the material caused by daily use and accelerated by the presence of pets and heavy-weight people (300 lbs and up). Yes, Mike, I wouldn't dare to mention 250 lbs weight limit.
You're very welcome.

Josh Wood

Name
Josh wood
I've always used the words, 'fiber breakdown'. And then using something similar to Rick J's model, I would explain that light will 'reflect' differently on frayed fibers.
And probably use the word 'distortion' in there somewhere.

Last edited:

they live

Name
Steve
is that really what you go with?
I have told some customers it's like a water bottle in the back of your pick up. When you throw it back there it's clear and see through. After a few months it gets scratched up and the light no longer passes through making it look dull. Some carpet is made out of old water bottles and walking on it is the same as it rolling around in your truck bed.

Crushed fiber is usually just the pad breaking down in traffic lanes. I advise them to buy better pad next time.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I always use the car wash example... it removes dirt debris and bug splatter but the dent from your new driver hitting the mail box is still there (that's wear)... I cant put life back in the carpet... With most house wife's I tell them you regularly get trims to get rid of split ends and dead hair, this is what your carpet fibers are doing except I can only clean these not trim them and grow new lol
Ohh that's good!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I'm more interested in how you, the veteren owner would explain it to your (idiot ) 16 yo son who is in his first week of discovery, that he too will be an old sour puss premium janitor, dying of lung cancer, just like pops .
Seriously do customers who have nylon carpets get the same explanation of what's going on?

There's a lot there to educate someone.

Maybe Darcie can look at the reasons and dumb it down for people to get it quicker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom