How do you know-part two

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I had a boss like that but all he wanted to do was golf. I knew the job better than him.

And it sounds like you didn't care much about your job. Maybe he cared more than you did.

You didn't give him the support he needed it sounds like.

Your assumption is wrong.
He started doing Meth-- and was out the door quickly. He was paid well but spent it on the wrong women who made his life hell.

Reactions: steve_64

Mikey P

Administrator
Darcie’s “How do you know” thread has highlighted one or two common problems in our industry that we need to discuss. Darcie and her husband (forget his name) have just expanded their business from 1 or two vans to 4? Something like that anyway. It was at 3 crews that I lost all interest in employing
people.
What I found was I couldn’t motivate people to clean properly. Some of my problem was also probably in my training, or lack there of. I got tired of the constant complaints and problems and decided to scale back. As they quit, I didn’t hire anybody to replace them. I increased my prices and carried on alone until my son came to work for me. I also increased the quality of my work.
It’s appears that Scott (THAT’S his name) was able to drastically improve the carpet that his employee was having difficulty with. What changed? What did Scott know that his employee didn’t? Why was Scott motivated to do what his employee wasn’t?
Is it just that young people today won’t work?
Is Scott’s training program in need of improvement?
How hard is it to motivate people to do quality work?
Maybe they’re hiring practices need improvement?
Darcie and Scott are attempting to grow their business into a successful multi-van business. We all attempt that at some point in our early years. What’s the difference between those who do and those that fail at this?

WHAT BIZZARO world kind of shit is going on here?

NEXT THING YOU KNOW PIG BOY IS GOING TO BE ON AN IICRC STANDARD REVISION BOARD. :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have two vans but no employee’s. I don’t want to run both vans from the wand. My goal is by spring to have two expirenced techs hacking out the schedule and I’ll be at the office. I don’t see my income increasing but I know that I cannot keep this pace. I like my customer base and my price points, but I’m at a tipping point. I don’t see value in retracting and staying solo. I do see value in getting off the truck. We’ll see. Im not afraid of failure. I know what the bottom looks like.
We all fail at times. Some admit it and learn from it. Others become consumed by it.

It doesn't have to be a death sentence. Learn from it and adjust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleanworks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don’t want less work.
I just want office work.
I’d also love to find a person who knows advertising who actually built a business worth copying. Howard is the only one I know of.
Quit looking at carpet cleaners.

Take a look at other small service businesses that are successful and are growing. Contact them, buy the owner lunch and find out who is assisting them. Emulate their marketing model. Talk with their people, if too pricey initially, see if the can develop a stair step plan for you.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
WHAT BIZZARO world kind of shit is going on here?

NEXT THING YOU KNOW PIG BOY IS GOING TO BE ON AN IICRC STANDARD REVISION BOARD. :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk: :eekk:
Scott told me when I met him that if I wanted to learn about his work, I should join Mikey’s Board. I thought it was a stupid idea because what did I need to know about carpet cleaning? I read a couple threads and I think the first thing I said to Scott was, “wow, that hogjowl guy is a huge jerk.” And now look, he’s helping me ❤️

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Scott told me when I met him that if I wanted to learn about his work, I should join Mikey’s Board. I thought it was a stupid idea because what did I need to know about carpet cleaning? I read a couple threads and I think the first thing I said to Scott was, “wow, that hogjowl guy is a huge jerk.” And now look, he’s helping me ❤️
Amazing how perceptive you WERE. 😉

Mikey P

Administrator
Have the nuts to charge what the situation is worth...

Num of Invoices:37
Total for Invoices:$218,530.56
Invoice Average:$5,906.23

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Darcie’s “How do you know” thread has highlighted one or two common problems in our industry that we need to discuss. Darcie and her husband (forget his name) have just expanded their business from 1 or two vans to 4? Something like that anyway. It was at 3 crews that I lost all interest in employing
people.
What I found was I couldn’t motivate people to clean properly. Some of my problem was also probably in my training, or lack there of. I got tired of the constant complaints and problems and decided to scale back. As they quit, I didn’t hire anybody to replace them. I increased my prices and carried on alone until my son came to work for me. I also increased the quality of my work.
It’s appears that Scott (THAT’S his name) was able to drastically improve the carpet that his employee was having difficulty with. What changed? What did Scott know that his employee didn’t? Why was Scott motivated to do what his employee wasn’t?
Is it just that young people today won’t work?
Is Scott’s training program in need of improvement?
How hard is it to motivate people to do quality work?
Maybe they’re hiring practices need improvement?
Darcie and Scott are attempting to grow their business into a successful multi-van business. We all attempt that at some point in our early years. What’s the difference between those who do and those that fail at this?
Youve done and went all sophisticated on us? Impressive...

Whats next?

giphy (26).gif

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

We don't have persian rugs the size of football fields over here. :icon_rolleyes:

Quit bragging

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

I always like the $100,000.00, $200,000.00 restoration jobs. Problem was we got one or two a year. We worked on generating more unfortunately most of the work would be smaller in the 10's. 20's, 30's.

Ohh our 2 invoice average of $150,000.00 slightly kicks the shit out of your piddly $5,906.23
😉

It's not polite to brag! If it makes you feel better my average is zero now. You're beating me 5906% 😁

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Howard is the only ???
At the point there in.
Owner operator is out...
Emulating Franchises designed around carpets is the thing to do...
Extrapolate what they use ...
Retweat...
Stanley ,Court,Serv Pro...
The answers are there...
Howard,Joe,Armando,any shyster that sells...
Stuff you all should know...
By Now...
Talk less wand to carpet interface.
An talk more exit plans...
Cleanworks an his horizontal possible expansions...
Is spot on...

Reactions: Willy P

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Brandon
I don’t want less work.
I just want office work.
I’d also love to find a person who knows advertising who actually built a business worth copying. Howard is the only one I know of.
Brandon Anderson will get you results on Facebook. Pair that with eddm is really the only thing worth paying for.

Reactions: hogjowl

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'm going to be presenting a paid seminar on how to net $100 k a year working part time with a portable. Polished Howard George Systems will be putting out tidbits including the pre sale price of $1000 for bronze level, $2000 for silver, $4000 for gold and $10000 for platinum. Hurry and I'll throw in a game worn tshirt or underwear or socks. Supplies are limited so place your orders quickly!

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm going to be presenting a paid seminar on how to net $100 k a year working part time with a portable. Polished Howard George Systems will be putting out tidbits including the pre sale price of $1000 for bronze level, $2000 for silver, $4000 for gold and $10000 for platinum. Hurry and I'll throw in a game worn tshirt or underwear or socks. Supplies are limited so place your orders quickly!
This is what happens to people when they retire without any hobbies.

Name
Jeff T
We just have a tiny balcony but take great pleasure in our cherry tomato plants. I also watch the hummingbirds coming to our flowers. Just outside my office.
Hold on a sec, I’ll go to the garden and snap a pic, just do you guys believe me…

Name
Jeff T
Why wouldn't we believe you. You haven't been lying to us have you?
I wouldn’t do that Ron,….
You can trust me….😁
I’ve sold 350 lbs so far to my neighbour, he’s an organic apple orchard grower. He’s got a market stand @ the end of our lane way… Ive sold tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow and green zucchini, peas, beans, strawberries and raspberries to him…

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
  • Haha
Reactions: Sierra Clean Care
Name
Jeff T
Worm poo, alfalfa meal for nitrogen, coconut water for potassium, calcium, magnesium, and iron, and aloe Vera juice for plant growth hormone…

Oh, and watering, and fertilizer at the correct time…

Taste?

Makes the best pico de gallo you’ve ever had. Or tomato sauce, or Caprese salad, or BLT, or…..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom