How do you make your techs...

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Shave their mug before they come to work... I have one that has over the last month has just decided to stop shaving. The bad part is he's not keeping it trimmed & neat. It kinda looks like Marty Stoufer got electrocuted & it's nasty looking.

I suppose it's my fault for not having a written policy about personal gooming habits. I assumed no one with a job wanted to look like a homeless person.

Subtle hints don't seem to be cutting it. Should I buy him a beard trimmer & call it a bonus or just say "Look this is unnacceptable. Fix it."?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
JHC..Jeremy...
who's the boss at your co?

I made a guy take off his sea-shell necklace one time...
cuz it looked lik it was a Ken Snow hand me down........

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOLOL good one Bobber

Jeremy I would suggest that you have a heart to heart with him, tell him what you expect and that he is not to report to work until he takes care of this, however YOU decide that needs to be. A handbook is great and ultimately a good tool to have, but you can accomplish with a conversation backed up by action.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I am having the same problem with one of our janitorial guys. I woudlnt mind but he is our head guy so he reports to property managers and other customers.

Cameron1

Here is the issue as I have seen it in my on operation. If you let it slide then the next guy comes in with red shoes and a Mohawk.

Now, when you go Postal on him.......he just says, I look more presentable than Joe over there, and you ain't said a word to him. If it is not in writing you don't have a legal stand.

Best bet is what Ken says....................In the meantime get a policy manual.

steve r

take him out drinking and buy him shots till he passes out then shave it for him!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Grow a set and tell him to shave it. Then if he doesn't pull hours from him. He'll get the picture.

It is harder after his been around awile but not impossible. Remember you sign the checks and make the rules.

I have them sign off on a few things before they start.

Appearance sheet.
Clean van sheet.
Where i can drain legally.
The last check could be held for many reasons.

Doesnt sound like your a hard guy to work for but remember your the employer and if you end up fireing someone they will remind you they have rights as an employee.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Jeremy said:
I suppose it's my fault for not having a written policy about personal gooming habits. I assumed no one with a job wanted to look like a homeless person.

Yep, there's the fix.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
How many employess do you have?. If just a few I would'nt mess with anything in writiing. Do it as you go. The problem with written policies in small environments is that you have to live up to them. The minute you don't it's pretty much useless. Tell him a few of your customers have complained. I'd bet he'll be cool about it. If not the getting him drunk bit is the ticket :lol:

Albert

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I really don't want to be an A-Hole about it... The guy has been with me for over 3 years. He's a hard worker and all that jazz... I want to change his behavior with out threatening to fire him or being rude. If it was some guy I just hired, I'd have no problem with saying "Look shave or quit" but, I know him pretty well.

It's not facial hair that bothers me it's unkept facial hair that looks almost... Umm... "Manson-esque". It's to the point that I'd prefer he wasn't seen by customers. I guess I'll have to break it down for him. His appearance reflects on me & my company. Not to mention how it reflects on him. I can't have it looking like I'm paying my help in food. Although I do frequently buy lunch. LOL.

Russ Goddard

Hints don't work with employees. Be nice but be firm. Good idea to formalize some basics of your business.

"No BS Ruthless Management of People and Profits" by Dan Kennedy. Great book.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Jeremy,

How about this.. I see from your profile that you are 4 years in the BIZ..
So he has been there almost from the start.

YOU...go get a fresh haircut..Then go purchase some new shirts or uniforms..

Explain to your guy...that your are up-grading the image of the company...
Tell him that you are looking to present a clean-cut image to your cleints..
Ask him to shave...because you are adding a photo of you & him to the website.

Explain to him that you feel that the company will make more money with this change.

Remember...Real change begins at the TOP..So you go 1ST...He will see that you are serious.
Lead by EXAMPLE... then he will NOT take it personal....

rick imby

Name
Rick
HARPER said:
Jeremy,

Explain to him that you feel that the company will make more money with this change.

Remember...Real change begins at the TOP..So you go 1ST...He will see that you are serious.

Wow Harper great Idea.

or

You can buy a really cool beard trimmer for $25 and put it on his seat when you pick him up for work. Have the battery all charged. Mention a beard is ok but it must be neatly trimmed. Swing by his house at lunchtime on the day of the "Gift" drop him off and say you will be back in an hour to pick him up.

I worked at a grocery store. We could grow a beard but we had to have it neatly trimmed. Especially the neck. You got warned once and then sent home.

This might work better after looking in the mirror. Is your hat all ratty? Does your But* crack show? Is your company coat showing the wear from crawling under the truck to change the oil?

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
rick imby said:
HARPER said:
Jeremy,

You can buy a really cool beard trimmer for $25 and put it on his seat when you pick him up for work. Have the battery all charged. Mention a beard is ok but it must be neatly trimmed. Swing by his house at lunchtime on the day of the "Gift" drop him off and say you will be back in an hour to pick him up.

I worked at a grocery store. We could grow a beard but we had to have it neatly trimmed. Especially the neck. You got warned once and then sent home.

This might work better after looking in the mirror. Is your hat all ratty? Does your But* crack show? Is your company coat showing the wear from crawling under the truck to change the oil?

Totally clean cut. Fresh shave every day. Although I do have facial hair I keep it trimmed and the rest shaved smooth...

joe harper

Name
joe harper
THAT IS GREAT JEREMY..... 8)

Even more reason to post a photo on your website (btw..nice site).. :idea:

Poteintal cleints...Like to see who is going show-up at there door... :!:

Some cleint's....Will not hire you if you have a beard....Or tatoos..Or peircings.. :shock:

I DOT NOT recommend that "bAwB" put a photo in any of his advertizing... :lol: :lol:

If you can get a photo of KEN SNOW... :idea: The gAy community pay very well.... :p

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ouch that hurts Harpman and my girlfriend says your full of shit :-)

Ken
Ps A great source of clinets in the gay community for us comes from weekly advertising in a gay pub. The gay community specifically likes to support advertisers that support the pub, and the bonus for gay men is we send 2 straping young men to their homes to clean :shock:

Cameron1

Ken Snow said:
Ouch that hurts Harpman and my girlfriend says your full of shit :-)

Ken
Ps A great source of clinets in the gay community for us comes from weekly advertising in a gay pub. The gay community specifically likes to support advertisers that support the pub, and the bonus for gay men is we send 2 straping young men to their homes to clean :shock:

That's just plain sick

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Can of shaving cream and a bic razor and say get in the mens room and take care of yourself. You have had to have had a conversation atleast a million times on apearance. I know I talk about it and it is required in my company. Uniforms and clean, smelling nice and trimmed up. Back up shirts, shorts, deodorant and pants in the trucks.

Easy as that

G

A good firm fight always helps; when he asked what you hit him for just say I told you a million ways to shave; Now I am gonna do it for ya and send him beaten up to his first customer!!

Magic Al

Good responses about starting at the top.

All my guys wear uniforms (yes, I buy them, but they must maintain them).

Hair has not been our problem, but metal thingamajigs, earrings, piercings, etc., have (hey, this is L.A., after all).

We dealt with it individually, explaining that during working hours, they must either be removed, or covered with a bandage, as it could be a work hazard or reason for a client to object to you. We get complaints? We get new people. Simple, clean and to the point.

It worked. Though I had to get rid of one employee who refused to comply and the phone complaints and counseling did not effect a change. Oh well...

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
When I was a tech, a co-worker looked like what you've describe..when custy's called again, they would ask for someone different and several times made comments to CSR's about his appearance. Just think...the vast majority of your custys are women...how would your wife/mom feel if a guy with a beard or earrings/tats etc.. showed up to fix the A/C....might make them a little uneasy. Nice hair-cut, clean shaved, shirt tucked in...clean sneakers/shoes...a MUST. You can say it in a nice way...without hurting feelings...and I'd keep a can of shaving cream w/ razors in your bathroom at shop...if someone shows up without shaving...send them to bathroom to take care of and dock $1 everytime it happens. Hey, they're using your stuff. Just my .2 Good luck

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
"See my face? It's how I expect everybody's to look. It's part of your uniform. There's a razor in the bathroom...."

Al

"See my face? It's how I expect everybody's to look. It's part of your uniform. There's a razor in the bathroom...."

LOL ! Exactly. Grooming is like the first thing on the list :shock:

All I have to do is look em and rub my chin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom