How do you remove Urine stains from wool rugs?

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
There's got to be something that works for removing urine stains from wool rugs.

If it exists, I don't know what it could be.

Can you help? I have a client with two big dogs and about a half dozen wool rugs.

Thank you!

Reactions: Living The Dream

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
There's got to be something that works for removing urine stains from wool rugs.

Can you help? I have a client with two big dogs and about a half dozen wool rugs.

Thank you!
With half a dozen wool rugs, you need to send them out to a properly equipped rug shop. They may need to be soaked in a full bath with the appropriate chemistry, rinsed and hung to dry. Then any remaining stains can be addressed.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
A garden hose and a lot more water than you would think. Flood, submerge, soak, dwell and squeegee off repeat more times than you would think.

Reactions: Giorgio
Name
Swani

Thank you!
Screenshot_20221121-230915_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Giorgio
Name
Nate W.
Simple answer, 3-6% peroxide for the yellow stains.... UV light will accelerate the process..

But if it's odor, you gotta flush the toilet.. If it's only spots that you can see, get some Masterblend Skunk odor and use a water claw.. Don't go heavy on it as the great grandkids will still smell it.. :lol:

Hope all is well Georgie!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great advice everyone! Thanks!

Stain Magic for Wool looks promising.

It's shameful that after all these years I've never tried it. How embarrassing.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Good advice from all.

A few thoughts:

Urine contamination often causes dyes to be unstable, and there could be color bleeding and/or additional color loss that shows up after cleaning. Make sure they know that, and that you don't own that "new" problem.

Also, just like on wall to wall nylon and wool, what looks like a yellow stain can be color loss that won't be repairable.

I'm pretty much with Nate on using peroxide myself. It is usually somewhat safe, with the above comments in mind, and the understanding that chemically washed rugs can have some unexpected (translate: bad) reactions to peroxide.

Just don't own this...you weren't the one who peed on it.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Simple answer, 3-6% peroxide for the yellow stains.... UV light will accelerate the process..

But if it's odor, you gotta flush the toilet.. If it's only spots that you can see, get some Masterblend Skunk odor and use a water claw.. Don't go heavy on it as the great grandkids will still smell it.. :lol:

Hope all is well Georgie!

Life is good. Thank you very much Nate. Hope you're doing well too!

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Good advice from all.

A few thoughts:

Urine contamination often causes dyes to be unstable, and there could be color bleeding and/or additional color loss that shows up after cleaning. Make sure they know that, and that you don't own that "new" problem.

Also, just like on wall to wall nylon and wool, what looks like a yellow stain can be color loss that won't be repairable.

I'm pretty much with Nate on using peroxide myself. It is usually somewhat safe, with the above comments in mind, and the understanding that chemically washed rugs can have some unexpected (translate: bad) reactions to peroxide.

Just don't own this...you weren't the one who peed on it.

Solid advice. Thanks Jim

(btw, I've witnessed that peroxide, giving enough time, will actually dissolve holes in wool. So, it's a good idea to rinse thoroughly before finishing the job).

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom