How every porty hack should clean.

Mikey P

Administrator
with a ten foot hose!

rest.jpg

Name
Kevin McCreary
Hey Greenie, I think you need to invent a cordless (hoseless) wand.

With a transmitter on the wand and a receiver you could put in the truck.

Mikey is that a picture of the guy that got to the Chinese restaurant today before you!

Bob Foster

How the hell can you clean a restaurant with a portable? Got to be some nuclear PS he is using and no doubt there will be some big resoil issues later.

Mr.V

How in the hell do you use 65ft. with a porty??

Get a good porty

how in the hell do you clean a restaurant with a porty??

you're joking right?

Greenie

10"hg, 230 cfm, 1.5 gpm, 240 degrees, unlimited fresh and APO.

truckmount or porty?

the carpet doesn't know, do you?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i run a porty and i usually run about 100ft of hose.. Auh Auhhh Auhhhh.. Power baby...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
A porty running 100 ft of hose is like a TM running 400 ft of hose.

Not much suck at the end of the hose.

Greenie

maybe true if you run a 1.5" castex.

it's all about loss of lift, followed by loss of cfm, the lift is lost 5X faster than the cfm, 10"hg through 100' of 2" hose is probably 7"hg still at the wand...life is good.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Is Shawn telling you what to write?

YOU WERE A WINDOW CLEANER AND USED HOST TO CLEAN CARPET!

:shock:

Greenie

was a soldier and jarhead before that too, not quite the resume of a kneebraskan Janitor, but we have to come from somewhere.

DevilDog

Bob Foster said:
How the hell can you clean a restaurant with a portable? Got to be some nuclear PS he is using and no doubt there will be some big resoil issues later.

That is simply NOT true. I started out with portables...and not very good portables and we cleaned restaurants really really good.

If you know how to clean...you can clean. This industry right now has some of the absolute biggest HACKS cleaning I have ever seen...and it is because so many of you think the machine makes the cleaner. The cleaner makes the cleaner...PERIOD. The equipment just helps you move faster.

Sure, a portable can be a pain in the ass but you can clean really well with one. Ever heard of the cleaning pie?

As an example but not completely related...there are many guys out there doing HORRIBLE tile and grout cleaning with their big bad ass truckmounts and other equipment...and there are guys and gals doing GREAT tile and grout cleaning with Shop Vacs.

Learn to clean and you can clean with almost anything.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
well said Todd. These freakin' hacks hidin' behind their big trucks...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I was too smart to join the services because I grew up in a military family!

:lol:

DevilDog

Greenie....care to tell me and others about what portable you would buy if you were going to use a portable. I will not clean all carpets with a portable but there are a lot of places where a portable is much easier to use and actually more efficient.

This issue with truck mounts versus portables is legit. I think we would all agree that a good truck mount will hands down beat a good portable as far as production times.

I think where some of us disagree with others is the ability to do a high quality job with a portable and guys doing HORRIBLE jobs with truck mounts.

When I first got into cleaning I started with a Von Schrader system. I quickly developed a pretty good client base using that machine. I had over 25 complexes in my area using me to clean their carpets because I simply did a superior job...and almost all of the competition had truck mounts.

I then went to a portable...not a good portable...and I continued to solidly build my business. We did EXCELLENT work and beat the living shit out of the truck mount companies. I learned to clean. They learned how to turn their big bad ass truckmount on but didn't know crap about cleaning.

When I moved to a truck mount the cleaning did NOT become better...it became easier and faster. But the quality was the same.

Would I want to clean every carpet with a portable? Hell NO!!!! But could I clean as good or better than most of you with one....HELL YES! It would just take me longer.

The ONLY time I got resistance to my portable was with a now very good client. We were referred to her by a well known local guy that owned many elder care homes. She was going to hire us based on this recommendation but her dumb ass husband insisted on a truck mount.

So I told him that we could come to his home and clean the carpet...if he was NOT completely happy with the job he owed us nothing and I would pay the invoice of the truck mount company that he would use.

He took me up on the offer. After about 45 minutes, and about three rooms, he came upstairs and started looking at the carpet. I knew the carpet looked great. He mumbled a few words and then talked to his wife. She came into the room and told me to shut the machine off...I thought the worse.

When I shut the machine off she said "my husband has something to say to you." He walks into the room and tells me is sorry for giving me crap about the equipment and that "no one has ever gotten this carpet to look this way."

He then tells me about six companies that had cleaned his carpet and could not get out some pretty basic stuff. Three of those companies are still in business in my area. The job turned out great because I learned to clean. Did it take longer because of me using a portable? Yes, but the quality was JUST AS GOOD. What took me about two hours to clean with the portable ended up taking me about 90 minutes with a truck mount.

There is a reason the cleaning pie is taught. Also, agitation is the GREAT equalizer when it comes to cleaning. I will guarantee that I can take a good portable now, attach a RV, and out clean almost any guy with a truck mount and wand.

There are many ways to clean carpets. By far the most important part of the cleaning is the PERSON doing the cleaning. Focus on getting the phone to ring, deliver great client service, and deliver quality cleaning and you'll all do fine.

NONE OF THAT HAS TO DO WITH USING A TRUCKMOUNT.

By the way, I know of very few coffee stains, Kool Aid stains, rust stains, ink stains, and most other stains that depend on a truckmount getting them out. The knowledge to get them out is the key.

Name
Eric Valentine
everfresh1 said:
Eric Valentine said:
I regularly used 65 feet of hose on my porty when I was a porty hack.

How the hell can you use 65 feet of hose with a porty? :lol:
Start with a porty that has a 2" hose hookup on it. Then run 50' of 2" hose, and a 15' tapered hose to the aw-29 wand (1.5"). Put a hole glide on the wand, and goop the shit out of the sides to seal it completely, as to not lose any cfm.

The porty I ran (and still do for high rise and inaccessible work) has dual 2-stage in series (155" of water lift and 98 cfm) and a 100 psi pump. It definitely takes a lot longer to do the job with the porty. One time saver with 65' of hose is that I could get most houses with the porty parked outside the front door, or in the garage. Some very large houses required the porty to be at the base of the stairs to reach everything, but i have NEVER had to lug the damned thing up to the 2nd floor of a house. I would get compliments regularly on the work I did with the porty, some went as far as telling me I out-cleaned several TM cleaners that I know for a fact do a great job.

Oh yes, and what DevilDog said.

G

What Eric and Devil Dog said!

I wished I grew up in a military family; I thought my sister that married an Airforce guy were rich. I use to love when they came home on leave; my sister would give me and my younger brother her son's old shoes. And if you were so lucky as to be able to eat store bought food everyday instead of hunting and fishing for your dinner; then consider your self lucky in life; hopefully you be be also in your business.

Greenie

Devildog, there are quite a few good machines out there today, but I would recommend a machine that can run 2" truckmount rated tools, as these tools save time and make the work faster.

The end result (currently, as I'm always looking and pushing the envelope by nature) is the GG-M5 or as it's now called the M5 by Mytee, it has 146" waterlift, 215 cfm high perf. 3 stage vacs, Two stacks in the 15 gal waste tank, one for each vac (115cfm ea.) an upgraded 500 psi high flow pump with 1/2hp dual capacitor motor that will support a 010 flow 14" Greenhorn wand (but we usually sell an 08 flow 12" with it) at 1.5 gpm, true unloader, improved plumbing, 2" hose hook up, 15 gal fresh,Auto fill, and APO, and all the standard amenities mytee has like equip/hose hangers, lift handles, pump prime, waste high controlsm super easy access to components for service etc...$2500.

It is the standard to beat.

If you want low flow, smaller size, and heat, the mytee 1005 is the runner up, then the RL105

If you want dual purpose with heat for carpet, and 1200 psi for tile, the M-12 is tough to beat.

All of the above have improvements for 09.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
DevilDog said:
Greenie....care to tell me and others about what portable you would buy if you were going to use a portable. I will not clean all carpets with a portable but there are a lot of places where a portable is much easier to use and actually more efficient.

This issue with truck mounts versus portables is legit. I think we would all agree that a good truck mount will hands down beat a good portable as far as production times.

I think where some of us disagree with others is the ability to do a high quality job with a portable and guys doing HORRIBLE jobs with truck mounts.

When I first got into cleaning I started with a Von Schrader system. I quickly developed a pretty good client base using that machine. I had over 25 complexes in my area using me to clean their carpets because I simply did a superior job...and almost all of the competition had truck mounts.

I then went to a portable...not a good portable...and I continued to solidly build my business. We did EXCELLENT work and beat the living shit out of the truck mount companies. I learned to clean. They learned how to turn their big bad ass truckmount on but didn't know crap about cleaning.

When I moved to a truck mount the cleaning did NOT become better...it became easier and faster. But the quality was the same.

Would I want to clean every carpet with a portable? Hell NO!!!! But could I clean as good or better than most of you with one....HELL YES! It would just take me longer.

The ONLY time I got resistance to my portable was with a now very good client. We were referred to her by a well known local guy that owned many elder care homes. She was going to hire us based on this recommendation but her dumb ass husband insisted on a truck mount.

So I told him that we could come to his home and clean the carpet...if he was NOT completely happy with the job he owed us nothing and I would pay the invoice of the truck mount company that he would use.

He took me up on the offer. After about 45 minutes, and about three rooms, he came upstairs and started looking at the carpet. I knew the carpet looked great. He mumbled a few words and then talked to his wife. She came into the room and told me to shut the machine off...I thought the worse.

When I shut the machine off she said "my husband has something to say to you." He walks into the room and tells me is sorry for giving me crap about the equipment and that "no one has ever gotten this carpet to look this way."

He then tells me about six companies that had cleaned his carpet and could not get out some pretty basic stuff. Three of those companies are still in business in my area. The job turned out great because I learned to clean. Did it take longer because of me using a portable? Yes, but the quality was JUST AS GOOD. What took me about two hours to clean with the portable ended up taking me about 90 minutes with a truck mount.

There is a reason the cleaning pie is taught. Also, agitation is the GREAT equalizer when it comes to cleaning. I will guarantee that I can take a good portable now, attach a RV, and out clean almost any guy with a truck mount and wand.

There are many ways to clean carpets. By far the most important part of the cleaning is the PERSON doing the cleaning. Focus on getting the phone to ring, deliver great client service, and deliver quality cleaning and you'll all do fine.

NONE OF THAT HAS TO DO WITH USING A TRUCKMOUNT.

By the way, I know of very few coffee stains, Kool Aid stains, rust stains, ink stains, and most other stains that depend on a truckmount getting them out. The knowledge to get them out is the key.

I'm sure most of us started out with a portable, Yes you can do as good of a job with one it just takes twice as long. But, like I said in a previous post I like using a porty for furniture to save hrs on my truckmounts. A lot of people thought I could not do as good of a job with it I disagree.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I used to clean a few resties with a portable, Cheyenne.
One was a fish and chip trap. 1st time cleaning it took almost 2 tanks of water. Got cleaning it once a mth, could clean it with less than a tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom