How has "Being In" "The Industry" helped you? $$$

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I was doing the regular Ten minute BS session with the owner. I let him know what I've done, what I am doing, how it's paid off, what I could be doing better, where I plan to focus most of my energy during this week, What my goals are for the month and then a more vague direction of where I see things heading. Usually in a quick rapid fire list. I have a pad ready to jot down anything he says, because my ideas usually spark something with him and he'll get an idea he wants me to implement.

I'm going down the list, everything is fine and then I mention industry associations, the possibility of me going to Connections or Mikeyfest or something of the sort. He got very agitated and confrontational about it. "I'm not going to have you waste any company time on that crap."

"I didn't say anything about company time, why so uptight all of the sudden?"

He want on to say there is no value in participating aside from education. I can get education here in Montana, and the associations don't need me to teach anybody, therefore it's wasted. Writing articles, networking with other cleaners through associations, spending time doing X,Y, or Z would be totally wasted. Basically, what I do with my own time is my business but shouldn't expect him to get excited about it. It's a good way to meet personal contacts, but will net Zero $$$ for the business. It will in fact cost the company money because we get no return and my energies are wasted.

So, my question is:

From the standpoint of a business owner, how do the associations and any sort of good you do for the industry (Be it offer advice or write articles for cleanfax or attend trade shows) benefit you financially?

Is he just uptight because he doesn't want other teams talking to his star player?

(Personally, I don't see anything wrong with just doing it with no financial reward attached anyway)

TimP

As owners the main reason to go is to take a break have a good time and write it off.

Although the benefits are discovering new products that you may of not had the chance to find out.

However being on the BB's you can pretty much get all the news and what's happening from your computer w/o the expense and the consumption of time.

As an owner I doubt I'd send an employee (although I don't have any). I'd rather go myself if anyone was going to go.

TimP

He can't keep you from going on your free time. However he wants you to produce, and if you don't show for work or take off from work he's losing money. Even if he doesn't "send" you.

If you bring 1 grand a day in for him on average. And you're gone for 5 days he's lost 5 grand minus your pay, so it does cost him.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
This boss of your's should be treating you like the gold mine you are. If you want to attend an industry event he should pay your way. You are incredibly loyal and bring him in tons of loot. Those of us who stay abreast of the advancements and, indeed, contribute our own ideas, keep this business fresh and exciting and very profitable. If he doesn't see that, there are other options for you.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Tim is on the right track, IMO

Industry events are more about social gatherings and for distys/suppliers/manufactures to sell you something, than they are about education.

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
meAt said:
Tim is on the right track, IMO

Industry events are more about social gatherings and for distys/suppliers/manufactures to sell you something, than they are about education.

..L.T.A.

There's worse things for a young single man like Gary to do with his free time than to come back from an event all hung over with a vacuum tatoo on his arm.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Art Kelley said:
There's worse things for a young single man like Gary to do with his free time than to come back from an event all hung over with a vacuum tatoo on his arm.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm with you Art.
Industry events are always enjoyable to me and it's not that you can't learn a thing or two, just that the biggest reward$ are to those that have something to sell us, not the other way around

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
So, my question is:

From the standpoint of a business owner, how do the associations and any sort of good you do for the industry (Be it offer advice or write articles for cleanfax or attend trade shows) benefit you financially?
What you mention here is all quite different. In general, if you get involved looking for a way to line your pockets, you become one of the many people that currently drag our industry down. If you want a dollar back for every dime you invest, you'll remain a BDCC that will never be able to actually make money from what you learn by being involved. What I've found is that people that are involved get a larger world view and will learn to handle what were formerly insurmountable problems as if they were minor annoyances.

Is he just uptight because he doesn't want other teams talking to his star player?
If he sees you as a star, he might be nervous about you getting a better offer. Might even have happened before.

(Personally, I don't see anything wrong with just doing it with no financial reward attached anyway)
That's the right attitude, as long as you don't get involved with those "line their pocket" people that will saddle you up and ride you for their own purposes.

For the long version I've copied something I wrote for a trade magazine several years ago. (Scroll by warning.) The short version is that if I had not become involved with honorable industry associations, I might still be a pretty good Oz, but maybe not The Great Oz. 8)

Good luck!

Leadership - What's in it for me? August 2000

As children we are all inherently selfish. This is a normal primary survival instinct. As we gain experience we develop the ability and self-confidence to protect ourselves without conscious thought, allowing us to accept responsibility for others. Although our family members require great care and attention, we develop the ability and self-confidence to have a career and in many cases manage the direction of a company and it’s employees.

Some people become so accomplished at balancing many needs that they look for another challenge to continue their personal growth. This often will be working in some type of community service: charities, church groups and even non-profit associations.

All of these require an expenditure of time. Some will require monetary expense. All will make use of their volunteer's experience for the greater good of the community and will challenge them to increase personal strengths to make the greatest improvement in their community. They will be challenged to confront their fear of failure. They will be challenged to overcome obstacles that may not matter to them, but are part of a duty they have chosen to accept. They will become a better person, a stronger person, and a more successful person - however you choose to measure that success.

They will become leaders with a larger perspective of their community.

What is received in return is not easily measured.
• Their wallet does not instantly grow fat
• They likely will not become an overnight media sensation
Most people won’t even know what they have accomplished

It has been my experience that all of the above allow these volunteers to use their broader perspective to make a dramatic improvement in how they run their companies, how they interact with their customers, and the overall success of their businesses.

If you think you’re ready to move to a higher level, get involved with your industry associations. It takes commitment, but the personal rewards are great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom