How long until Google does this

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I was thinking about the way rankings are done in the searches. It was after reading a few articles about it.

How long until Google puts a random type search result for companies that fit the top 15 or 20 SEO requirements?

I think it would work if Google picked the top 25 or so "best" websites and listed them in a revolving order. One search your number 1, next search maybe your number 10?

It would cut down on black hat crap and it would make things a bit more "fair" (if there is such a thing) for the companies competing for that top spot.

In our industry there is probably 20 or so companies in a mid sized area really competing for that top spot on Google. There are a ton more companies in said area that probably don't pay any attention to it.

Not sure why Google would want to "promote" that kind of competition in a market that would obviously be better for the consumer if the companies competing didn't have to waste resources to get there.

Someone forward this post to the powers at Google please. shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Think of it as similar to your Random play list on your CD player.

This would be soooo easy for Google to implement.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have a hard time keeping up with the SEO changes. I didn’t devote enough time to it until lately, but it's starting to pay off. Next big thing will be optimizing site’s for smart phones.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Google was testing a Places "plus" listing that would work like adwords for selected keywords for the top 2 Places listings.

Google sees it as a gold mind as the number of keywords than would make revenue would be almost limitless.

I think this is why for the time being Places is free.

Clients and businesses get used to it.

Then the bill comes due.

It's the free crack to school children marketing approach.

We'll see if this comes to pass nationwide

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I don't see Google charging for local places other than what they already do. Adwords and boost...even though they just retired Tags.

I could be wrong...hope I'm wrong.

The whole point of places is to let the searcher know "the best" company...not the one willing to pay the most.

Google is as big as they are because they're searcher friendly.

But you just never know until you know.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Although I could see them charging $25.00 to all the companies who want to be included in the Random results.

They tried that once...what was it called?

I did it in San Diego until they canceled the program.

You got a Blue marker and would appear just above the locals.

Brian,

Google is always changing its algorithms, and sometimes it's a pain to beat out the competition because they use black hat methods, but all you have to do is reverse engineer what they are doing, and do it better. Simple.

Places listings seem to have a heavy weight with how your normal website is ranked now, so try to balance out both of those!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I understand the game as it is played now. I was just thinking of ways to cut out the crap and make it a little more user friendly for all parties involved.

Google has a like button that is out as well now, plus social media is think will start to play a bigger role.

Name
Damon
I also believe that social media is what Google will focus on incorporating in its search.

Brian, those blue map markers you're talking about are a part of Boost.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
thecleaningdude said:
I also believe that social media is what Google will focus on incorporating in its search.

Brian, those blue map markers you're talking about are a part of Boost.

They were called something else for a while and then discontinued. They were only used in a few select cities. They canceled them and then brought boost out about 6 month later.

Boost is just an extension of adwords pay per click
This was a once a month payment of $25.00
It was so short lived that they never actually charged me.

Jimmy, Put your longitude and latitude in the additional details area when filling out your profile
You can find yours here
http://www.mygeoposition.com/

All your photos and videow should be named for keywords for your business Like "carpet cleaning your area" before they get uploaded to Google.
If you use
http://www.panoramio.com
You can also title the photos, put a discription and a map location on them. Every little bit helps.

Brian,

No need to put a longitude and latitude in the map listing, that won't do much. Just create a geo sitemap and upload it to your website, then update google with the sitemap location

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
That's a good idea for the site map.

But I've read differently about the Longitude Latitude thing in your Google Places.

Not sure how you would test it but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom