How Many Hours Between Blower Greasing

Name
George Valliant
I have a question about how often my Garner/Denver 5m blower should be greased.

The owner’s manual says not to "Over Grease" because it could cause premature bearing wear. Under greasing could cause the same thing. Someone once told me never to grease until it comes out the weep holes because it could blow the seal and never put more in than a couple squeezes.

What is a good rule of thumb for greasing the blower? Should I put a couple squeezes every week? Push until it comes out the weep holes at every 100 hour oil change? Or, push until it comes out the weep holes every 500 hours?

I use only GD synthetic grease and put about 100 hours a month on the machine.

Thanks,

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Gardner Denver states 500 hours if using their synthetic grease.
Pump grease slowly till it comes out the vents. I always pump the grease till it is coming out looking just like the new grease going in and expels all the old grease in the bearings . Just make sure the vents are open and clear or you can damage or blow out a seal. Any excess grease will be expelled out the vents during operation.

We grease ours every 100 hours with the oil change. No problems so far and we have 4 units. We have replaced 1 blower with 4,000 hours on it, but it was not due to the grease, that was an oil issue.

John Watson

We grease ours once or twice a year if I remember, I make it a point to grease the blower and 3 zerks on the shaft drive every Jan while it is in the shop for freezing weather outside...Sometimes I will give a pump or two in July. My JEM is an 1988 Model and running strong..

John Watson

Bob Foster said:
You really can't over grease but you can over squeeze the grease gun.

I have seen more blown seals on sealed bearings, More ball joint failures, more U Joint problems from over squeezing the grease gunn trigger.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have never greased mine there are no zerks! I have looked, and it must be sealed which i'm not to thrilled about but haven't had any problems...

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Able 1 said:
I have never greased mine there are no zerks! I have looked, and it must be sealed which i'm not to thrilled about but haven't had any problems...

You probably have a dual splash blower. Oil on both sides instead of grease on one side.
I prefer them, less mess.

John Watson

different bearings made by different companies do different things. Some run with grease, others run in a oil bath, some have a slinger some don't. Timkin, best in my oppinion, makes both sealed and unsealed, you can also get them with just the seal on one side of the bearing so when greasing it will pack between the ball bearings and contain it there during use. Just takes a pump or two once or twice a year. By over greasing you blow the seal out so th grease now just goes through the bearing and now will require a more constant greasing schedule. It also depend on use and conditions...

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The actual interval is dependent on the RPM the blower is typically used. At the RPM of most truckmounts, a 100 hour interval should be sufficient.

While a synthetic lubricant may yield more durability for the lubricant, the interval is not all about the integrity of the lubricant itself, but also the integrity of the location of the lubricant. The use interval takes into consideration the normal seepage of operation. So even if you are using a synthetic lube here, stick to the typical interval.

p.s. Don't use a lithium based lubricant in any case.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
when I bought my Big Red years ago I got my maintenance advice from the previous owner.
He gave all the grease fittings 2 shots of grease every 50 hrs. After 12 years never really had any problems. Did have on grease hose break off in the clutch housing, but that was due to stress on the fitting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom