How many of u did ride a longs b4 you started your own biz?

Mikey P

Administrator
A newbie here wants to come out with me yet another guy was telling him ride a longs in general are not that helpful.

IMO the opportunity should be taken with as many willing as possible.

What did you learn on your RAL?

Lefty724

Name
E
I think Ride A Longs are a great idea! If I would have found this board 2 weeks earlier, I would have been asking you Mikey if U could tag along! Come to think of it.................I'm still new and don't know squat.......where do I sign up?

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
I think ride alongs are a great learning tool for the right person. some people can read a book and go out and do it, other people just have to get their hands dirty and learn that way.

Becker

Name
Becker
I was 16, did not know anyone with a Rug Dr.

But for a new guy it is a great idea, much like someone wanting to become an officer.

Or in the dating world, don't buy the car till ta test drive it.

Name
Ron lippold
When i started cleaning i had 3 days training. 175 and a protable. A guy has to have the ability to talk to a persons hearing and be able to understand what is being said to them. That is what make the difference between a cleaner and a business owner that is getting ahead.

G

I worked with a guy who had just sold his biz. Part of the agreement was that he would stay on the van till they were both confident that he had someone trained good enough to send out on their own. That was me.
I learned a lot about presprays, detergents, acid rinse, spotting, and upholstery cleaning. The guy was a master cleaner/restorer and willing to share his knowledge and I was willing to learn.

He moved after about 3 months, and I went out on my own after about 6 months. The new owner was lazy and didn't seem to care much about cleaning, I think he just wanted the title of 'business owner'.

Mikey P

Administrator
Winter is a good time of year for ride alongs.

Not so busy and great opportunity for up selling.
If the Rider is a quick study you can put them to work on synthetic upholstery.

I'm gonna take this guy out in December.

He'll get to pay for his motel rooms with my Lunchpail, attend a Le Tip meeting, mess around with my Service Monster, watch the world famous lady killer in action and dual wand with the gay bashing Vortex.

and as a special bonus I'll let him take over any MB account for an hour he chooses.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
NO one should go out on their own doing this business without a year of training. Don't we all hate the hacks out there giving us all a bad name. How can you not be a hack if you haven't learned what the hell you're doing. Most of us have been doing this for years and we're still learning from each other. Why don't we just admit that anyone can do this and all our customers should just buy a Rug Dr.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Yeah, an 11 year ride along in total 5 other businesses before i started my own nothing beat learn while you earn

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I'm going to set up one of my guys to do a ride along with a stone restoration expert. Now, to find the expert.
Al

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Re: How many of u did ride a longs b4 you started your own b

:shock:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Never even cleaned a carpet before I started my business. Ordered some equipment got certified. equipment came the day I got out of class along with the phone number and I was off and running

Lefty724

Name
E
Matt Murdock said:
Never even cleaned a carpet before I started my business. Ordered some equipment got certified. equipment came the day I got out of class along with the phone number and I was off and running

Same here!! Never touched a wand before I started (or took the IICRC course) my biz. I did go out and give 10-15 free cleanings to let me learn on their carpet though. Now all the free cleaning I did are now my regular customers, so I think it was a good choice!! Later

C

cucu

i go on ride alongs now with anyone that will take me....just to getaway from myself

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Re: How many of u did ride a longs b4 you started your own b

:shock:

Able 1

Name
Keith
floorguy_724 said:
[quote="Matt Murdock":3u1kh59l]Never even cleaned a carpet before I started my business. Ordered some equipment got certified. equipment came the day I got out of class along with the phone number and I was off and running

Same here!! Never touched a wand before I started (or took the IICRC course) my biz. I did go out and give 10-15 free cleanings to let me learn on their carpet though. Now all the free cleaning I did are now my regular customers, so I think it was a good choice!! Later[/quote:3u1kh59l]

Me too... I wish I would have done a ride a long though I didn't know wtf I was doing. :shock:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
no ride along for me but would watch someone else doing carpet clean while I was doing construction cleaning

a ride along would have helped, it would have gave me some insight to what the supplier would try to sell me

that sounds pretty good Mike

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I had 2 weeks with a really good cleaner running both truck and porty. I was always asking questions.
And since I was going to be using a Ninja, I would always ask what I would need to do different when we used the truck for a cleaning.
Still remember many things he taught me, 17yrs later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom