How many of you can get your wife to clean carpet

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The Magician said:
Hey Larry thanks for the tip on the cords. My airmovers are so twisted from coiling from the plug to the machine.

I figured it out by accident.
I use cheap extension cords for the electric sprayer.
They always curled like s sumbeech.

Like most, I always walked the plug, unplugged at and coil my way back to the sprayer.

One day when I was done spraying I gave the cord a yank out of the plug (don't yell at me Jim, I know :mrgreen: )and started coiling at the sprayer.
I noticed the plug end spinning as it came across the floor...BINGO.. I figured it out..
coiling the other way, it's hooked the sprayer (or machine) and can't rotate with the spin

cheap cords are surely worse than heavy duty cords, but it's in the way they're coiled/wrapped that causes the curl

Sorry Tim to hi-jack your thread... :oops:

..L.T.A.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Spawn said:
The Magician said:
Hey Larry thanks for the tip on the cords. My airmovers are so twisted from coiling from the plug to the machine.

I figured it out by accident.
I use cheap extension cords for the electric sprayer.
They always curled like s sumbeech.

Like most, I always walked the plug, unplugged at and coil my way back to the sprayer.

One day when I was done spraying I gave the cord a yank out of the plug (don't yell at me Jim, I know :mrgreen: )and started coiling at the sprayer.
I noticed the plug end spinning as it came across the floor...BINGO.. I figured it out..
coiling the other way, it's hooked the sprayer (or machine) and can't rotate with the spin

cheap cords are surely worse than heavy duty cords, but it's in the way they're coiled/wrapped that causes the curl

Sorry Tim to hi-jack your thread... :oops:

..L.T.A.

OK if thats the case Larry then why is my Airpath cord twists up like that? I can't figure it out either and I always unplug and pull towards the machines as I wrap it around the wheels. the cimex cords never stay twisted like that. :?

Zee :?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Normally it is the way it is pulled and wrapped. There are 3 separate lines in the cord that are bundled into a triangle shape.....that are wrapped in paper......once the cord starts getting twisted and abused then the "triangle" loosens up and the inside lines start to separate....When you roll them up ..make sure they are laid out so they can spin them self's the direction it wants to go...and (like some here) don't wind it to tight.....

BTW.........The cimex cord has a much thicker outer coating because I believe is a 12/3......used for higher machine torque and longer distance.....that's why the thing is so damn heavy......the RX and almost all fans have a 14/3 cord on them which makes them much lighter and a thinner outer coating.....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
OK if thats the case Larry then why is my Airpath cord twists up like that? I can't figure it out either and I always unplug and pull towards the machines as I wrap it around the wheels. the cimex cords never stay twisted like that. :?

Zee :?

operator error?... :mrgreen:

donno Zee
I really don't know everything
I just think i do.......

but I do know my cords twisted/curled like mo-fo til I started coiling them differently.

same thing happened to the Little Genies til I explained how it was happening

..L.T.A.

TimP

Jim Martin said:
Normally it is the way it is pulled and wrapped. There are 3 separate lines in the cord that are bundled into a triangle shape.....that are wrapped in paper......once the cord starts getting twisted and abused then the "triangle" loosens up and the inside lines start to separate....When you roll them up ..make sure they are laid out so they can spin them self's the direction it wants to go...and (like some here) don't wind it to tight.....

BTW.........The cimex cord has a much thicker outer coating because I believe is a 12/3......used for higher machine torque and longer distance.....that's why the thing is so damn heavy......the RX and almost all fans have a 14/3 cord on them which makes them much lighter and a thinner outer coating.....

Actually the cimex cord feels lighter softer and more pliable. The RX cord is some kind of thick and stiff (at least the one I have). And I've always pulled the wire around the cord holder from the machine with my hands it's not from twisting for sure. Because I don't do it the way you say causes it. And there are a few above that say the same thing.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
TimP said:
I unplug it pull the end to the machine .... then start coiling it around the machine,

it's no biggie to me, Tim.
But I suspect that's why it curled.
The end can't spin as you wind it up.

much better to have it stretched out straight as you roll up

like I said, it's no biggie to me though, and surely not worth arguing over

..L.T.A.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
The original cord on my RV never did that in six years. But it got a deep gouge in it so I replaced the cord. The new one did that right from the start. I didn't change how I wound them up. Same gauge cord. Here's a pic of the new cord:

P0000013.jpg

I cleaned with a heavy ass porty by myself through two pregnancies. Tell your Nancy wives to top that! I was hauling water buckets, pulling that beast upstairs and lifting it into and out of the back of a Suburban 3-4 times a day.....9 months pregnant!

....and Marty whines 'cause his handsies are sore! :roll:

Take care,
Lisa

harryhides

Name
Tony
Next time you are in a large office, look at the telephone cords and you will see most of them twisted all to hell.
Each time the handset is replaced it gets a half turn and over time it gets really twisted.

I've had my own small personal detailer for 20 yrs and the cords are just fine.
My theory ( and it appears to have worked ) is to wind up the cord around my right arm as often as around my left arm.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
But I wound the cord the same way with both and look how that cord got in less than 2 weeks! The other cord was straight for 6 years! WHY?????

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It could be the gauge of the cord........most cords are not designed to run things like RV's or RX-20's.they are just to light duty............

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I figured you would.......you are smarter then most when it comes to things like that....... but the same gauge is not the only thing to consider.........the UL rating is just as important............meaning, what the outer sheathing is made of and if it is designed for water........light duty......heavy duty ....ect...You can get 2 different cords that are both a 12/3 but the outer sheathing may make them 2 different animals.......

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Jen has a great personallity...So she is really good at the Mary Kay thing.
I took her on an empty once and let her run the wand. After watching me and having a hand in it herself, she respected what I do more. Everyone should take their Wife/Girlfriend on at least one job so they know that you are not just hanging out at the hot tub all day.

She had a hand in me jumping off the truck and into the office...probably because of it.
The idea was to have her on the phones because of her pretty southern voice...I get hot just thinking about it (calm down, Brian).
But I don't think you can beat a life of knowledge and customer service in the ccing industry for closing jobs on the phone.
She may come over one day but I think she can make just as much money at MK....and she loves doing it...and that's what's important.

As far as the cord thing...I figured that out when I was 10 years old...Is it really that hard? :roll:

Start at whatever machine, twist the cord with the coil while shaking out the buttholes as they come. Don't coil on your arm, don't start at the plug, don't just roll it up with no regard to the buttholes.

Good God, I can't even believe I had to put that into words.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
She usually works with me 2 or 3 days a week on busier days. It works well. She can talk to cust. to make them happy while still helping me. She also sells protector more than me too I think because of being able to talk more.. On lighter days stays home and does thank you cards and sales letters etc. Big jobs are a pain by myself.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
do you know why your RX cord is all twisted like that?

I do

I have coiled cords several different ways, from what I have been told it has more to do with how the inside of the cord is made then it has to do with how you coil it

if the cord gets pulled tight it messes up the inside liner and turns the cord into a pig's tail

I have several backpack vacuum cords that look like that and every one is coiled from the vacuum to the male end of the plug and they are still messed up

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
in my experience it is almost foolproof to wind from the unit in. reason being is like jim stated, so that the cord can un wind. you can do it from the plug into the machine but you just have to let it unwind first. best way to do so is to lay it out all the way and hold the plug with two fingers you will see it will spin in your hand once you lift if off the ground. i always did this with the sanitaire or it would become like a slinky in less than a week from new.

Able 1

Name
Keith
:shock: From a cord expert...
w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd9t47sCHAQw]

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's it Douglas you're on my shit list...again!

Richard's Shit List:

Doug Cox 9/12/08
Doug Cox 12/17/08
Doug Cox 2/03/09
Doug Cox 5/08/09
Doug Cox 6/10/09
Doug Cox 7/29/09
Doug Cox 8/4/09

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I forgot to mention my wife once got locked in the back of the van for 5 or 6 minutes when she was helping me with a day care. She's lucky I came looking for her.

BarbaraS

I help my husband a LOT! It's mostly fun, but I think I do distract him sometimes. I've found it best NOT to talk about kids and family issues on the job, just seems to stress us out. We've had some days where we aren't getting along too well, but for the most part customers are tickled at how well we work together. I'm hose-tender and just an assistant to whatever he needs. I try to do all the chit-chat with the customers so he can get to work.
I'm also bad about expecting all spots to come out. I'm trying to get out there and do more marketing to bring in more customers.
I worked at home behind computer for 10 years as a medical transcriptionist. Finally said to hell with that and SO enjoy getting out and meeting people.
Glad I found this board, very entertaining and informative! We'll probably be at one of the two summer get-togethers, either the one at Norcross or the other one, which I've yet to find more details on, but I think it's in Marietta, GA somewhere. We live in Suburban Atlanta - Ugh! :)
Peace out ya'll. Looking forward to more chit-chat with ya!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
That's Awesome, Barbara.
The saying is true.
Behind every successful man is a great Woman....and vise versa.
When two can work together and encourage each other to succeed then the world is at their fingertips.

I was amazed at how much better my company progressed when I started seeing Jen years ago.
I just couldn't promote my company when my ex-wife was with me discouraging me at every turn.
Good luck to you both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom