how many of you Rug guys and gals have taken Aaron's class?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Been There, Done that, Got the T-Shirt!

what do you want to know. It was most definitly worth it! Looking forward to getting my CRS once the ARCS have their education system in place as well. Aaron and Ellen have a wealth of information to share.

Mikey P

Administrator
How was the class?

Was it all about knowledge?
Did it cover cleaning as well as running a rug shop for profit?
Did they help you evaluate your area to see if a rug cleaning plant could survive?

What did the first session focus on?
and the second?

Who would benefit the most from attending?

Would a rug *** who's been at it for 20 years learn much?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
How was the class?

Did they help you evaluate your area to see if a rug cleaning plant could survive?

and the second?

This rug course is not Aaron’s alone, but significantly shared with Ellen Amirkhan at her 100 year old company. Ellen practices what she teaches and not afraid to reveal what she does every day. She is an instructor that is intricately involved in rug washing. There is NO bologna served at her table of instruction. It’s reality at its best.

There is a video that answers most all of Mikey’s good questions.

For information and video go to this website: http://masterrugcleaner.net/rug-cleaning-school

I attended in 2006/2007. (At that time I had been in the industry 30 years) Currently it is a split course that requires two different occasions for instruction. I just sent a key man from my Area Rug Cleaning Company that graduated this past week. Obviously I feel that it was worth it. I direct all Centrum Force equipment users and select others to their course.

I have submitted my picture with two other attendees for MB members to poke fun at. That weekend in March emerged with historic memories to recount.

View attachment 774

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Travis works for me and scored 100% in the rug identification part of the course. He was thrilled with the experience. The networking was great for him as well. While he met other Centrum Force equipment users and gave them tips on what we do for time saving methods in professional rug care, he also learned from all attendees as well.

View attachment 775

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How was the class?

and the second?

For you Mike? If you're talking about for yourself, you'll never make it through the whole thing without slitting your wrists. (Can I have your motorcycle if you do?)

Dan LOVES rugs and said it was a great class, very informative, lots to see and touch and learn.....but he said by the last day he needed a break from the subject.

You, you'll be marking the cut line on your wrists with permanent marker by noon of the first day if not sooner! :p

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I have not taken the Master Rug Cleaner course, but I'd guess the course would be worthwhile since Ellen and Aaron were involved in teaching the ASCR rug courses. Everyone that attended thinks it was tough, but they're still glad they went, which is a great testimonial about the amount of information to absorb.

The business side of running a rug cleaning shop is going to vary so much that it would be tough to put in a course though. The 'grow slow and ad equipment as you go' is probably the safest route for most. Help with this would be the reason to join a trade association, and for rug cleaners today that would be ARCS.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Oz have you been to Woodwards in St.Louis? I know Dan was really impressed with the way they took in rugs, now it could be you guys or others here do the same but it was news to me.

Now I know it's the big machine and not the boutique cleaning all you rug snobs like, but it was the business end he was impressed with. He said it's like when you take your car into the dealership for repair, they had stations where the rug was dropped and open up. The rep would measure it, evalute it for cleaning making note of the condition and then photograph and then sell other services, repair, protector, moth proofing and finally price it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ken I honestly don't know, Dan was impressed. We only do 10-15 a week, the office girls handle incoming and the guys come get them and take them back as they get time. They are usually not measured and priced until completed unless a customer requests a price prior. And we don't photograph but there has been talk of it.

Of all the services we provide its one of the smallest percentage of sales just above soda blasting. When we are busy with restoration work I hate that we offer the service. When we are slow I'm glad it gives someone something to do.

I think Oriental rugs are beautiful and really like them but I don't enjoy cleaning and hauling piss filled rugs like I used too. :(

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Woodards and Burns are very similar rug cleaning companies, and we've visited each other's shops and traded information. Where we differ is that we dropped disaster restoration and Woodards does a gazillion dollars worth, so if Dan had wandered across the street to the restoration building he'd have something else to talk about. I hope he got to see the renovated drying room too - worth a tour all on it's own. I'm looking forward to taking out our forty-year-old drying system and installing the one they pioneered.

The way we handle incoming rugs is similar, maybe all of us do the same from years of comparing notes at association events. We don't take photos unless there's something really odd about the rug or the customer though.

PS: Piss filled rugs are MONEY!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom