How many of you...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The only time we would do so, would be with good communication with all parties.

We've done it on Fire losses, cleaned it initially and then at the end of the job.

But that's with the insured and insurance company in agreement with what we are trying to accomplish. They realize while the cleaning bill is higher it may save them the replacement cost.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Was that on a fire loss or a water loss Steve?

On fire losses, its pretty common to have carpet need to be cleaned more than once, especially when the inevitable visit by painters, plumbers, etc happen after what was thought to be the final cleaning.

If on a water loss: Are you routinely applying antimicrobial after everything has been dried, your equipment removed, and the carpet cleaned?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't know if I would have cleaned it at all if she were that sensitive. Sometimes we are overly cautious, but unless I were comfortable with the customer I might have just dried it.

If I did clean it I would have done as you did and rinse it. Call me cheap but I don't think I would have done it for free, maybe a reduced charge since I was just rinsing it and not cleaning it.

But then we don't have big hurricane bucks, to allow me to do free work! :p

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
It's all in your wording. If you say you cleaned it twice, some might buck. If you word it correctly, you clean twice but they assume once.

We often clean them twice on almost all fires and any med to large water loss.

Up front and then last thing before the claim is closed.

Then again, some of the insurers we work for tend to look at it as good PR and quite happily tell us to go back and give it a final once over.

John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Geezz go to class and now you're an egg head...and not just in shape either! :p

I would have a problem doing as you suggest if the carpet in question needed it.

We don't clean the carpet just to have a clean surface to apply an antimicrobial or biocide to. Doesn't mean you can't!

Generally we spray (with customer approval), dry and clean.

Most of our WDR customers are concerned that some type of deodorant/disinfectant be applied, they are concerned about odor and mold.

In commercial work we will come back after hours to apply, if they want something applied.

In most cases if you dry the carpet fast you don't have to apply anything.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It's my understanding antimicrobials can be neutralized by organic matter, so carpets must be cleaned before applying a antimicrobial. Then apply the antimicrobial according to the directions on the label, wet everything down pretty good.
The MSDS for Microban states that their product can not be disposed of in any manner other than incineration. So once your cleaning waste water has Microban in it how do you dispose of it? I was told by my distributor that Microban is meant to be left in the carpet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom