how many one truckers here DO NOT have a back up truck?

I don't hang a back up fir my wners OP biz because. .

• too new and can't afford one. On the top of my to do list

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I'll rely on my portable or VLM method

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • easy access to a loaner

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I'm too blessed to be stricken with misfortune of that caliber

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • VLM only...suckers..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • thank god, surfs up!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
My second truck was originally to be a back up truck.

Then it got to be where I needed the 2 vans all to most of the time.

I have had where a van needs service, and have to try and make the schedule work to do so.

If we break down when really slammed, it just ends up being way later days now....

Thankfully, nothing major has broke in long time (Damn, now it's going to happen!)

Reactions: SamIam

Ron K

I have never had a back-up. I think if you buy a reputable TM made with good parts and maintain it you should not need one. Started with a 1993 Steamway Mastermatic now have a Prochem Legend........ life is good.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
a second set up was probably the smartest thing I have ever done since I started this gig...............

Reactions: Mark Saiger

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Pretty Sure everyone knows I gotz an Edic Galaxy 500 at your recommendation Mike.

Useful tool for too many reasons to list and it fits My Truck Layout Perfect.

View attachment 5103

A second Rig is jus scary to me right now, plus I'd have to build it...... No room to keep it warm, would have to Actually Hire someone with some age and Bad habits.
I'll buy a Cimex or an Engine next : )

Last edited:

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I had two until my primary truck blew an engine on the freeway two years ago. Still have the machine sitting in the garage but the truck was sold off. Searching now...

Name
George Valliant
just put the finishing touches on my back up rig. The 777 has been in and out of the shop about a year now. Had all the oil leaks and a million other mickey mouse bugs fixed.

It's solid as a rock and ready to roll. Just waiting on the 2.5" y - adapter from JB to arrive so I can run 5 to the door.

The only problem is that I put so much TLC into it I'm afraid to let the hired help to take it out solo.

Name
Nate W.
I blew my TM engine on a commercial night job about a week and a half ago... Called quite a number of places with none in stock... Finally got a hold of a supplier with 1 in stock... Costing me some coin to get it here before my bigger jobs come up... Radiator sprung a leak, and melted the whole damn engine... :errf:

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
We do not have a backup and as for the reason it doesn't pay to have that kind of expense sitting around. We just take super good care of the truck and in the unlikely event of a complete breakdown I can have a swap out in a day or two

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Experience tells me not to ask, but curiosity wins. What are you talking about ..,#4?

Curiosity.................... deadcat_zpsa81867fe.jpg

:oldrolleyes:

You're are from 'bama; , right ??

# 4 "I'm too blessed to be stricken with misfortune of that caliber"

:yoda:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hogjowl

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i think about 6 months when we started a lady pulled out in front of my tech we was down about 3 weeks
the next month i started to put my 2nd van together
just had the truck mount in it
then bought the reels and water pond and so on that was 6 yrs ago
still have it 1600 hrs on it its a must to have a backup

Reactions: GCCLee

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I blew my TM engine on a commercial night job about a week and a half ago... Called quite a number of places with none in stock... Finally got a hold of a supplier with 1 in stock... Costing me some coin to get it here before my bigger jobs come up... Radiator sprung a leak, and melted the whole damn engine... :errf:

Dang what gives, i posted a thread about Radiator leak n swap an all hell broke loose huh?

Im looking for a engine swap soon. The Horsies have been whining lately!

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I have not had a back up for my first 9 years. I plan on getting one next year. However, being mostly commercial I could push most jobs or do a combo of porty and encapsulation to get by for 2 weeks. Now that my first truck is getting old, I wouldn't dream of selling it when I buy my next truck. It's a numbers game of how much business you could potentially lose versus how much you will have to pay for having a second truck (insurance, maintenance, storage, etc).

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have always had a back up unit completly ready for anything. Saved my butt many times. My back up ends up being others guys in my areas back up machine. We now run 2 vans full time so I may get a 3rd van for a backup.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
No van backup, but 2 "ready to go" TM's in the shop. A 92 Powermatic, 2300 hours, and an 03 Genesis 59, ready to clean. I'm looking for the right box van to swap my new Thermalwave Vortec into.

I ain't putting the hex on my own TM's by answering and poll.

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I have always had a back up unit completly ready for anything. Saved my butt many times. My back up ends up being others guys in my areas back up machine. We now run 2 vans full time so I may get a 3rd van for a backup.

Adams back up has saved me many times. I am piecing together a cargo trailer with a back up. It won't be complete, but if my van goes down I can grab what I need and have the trailer going in a few minutes.

Name
Nate W.
Dang what gives, i posted a thread about Radiator leak n swap an all hell broke loose huh?

Im looking for a engine swap soon. The Horsies have been whining lately!

20hp water cooled Kawasaki engine. I was parked in an under ground garage and was working 1 floor above. I was 3/4 finished with the job and it just turned off by itself. Went down and found oil blew everywhere due to the valve covers melted and the fan blowing the oil all over... :clap:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
someone should jump on this

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/4575718229.html
99 GMC 1 Ton Van
Factory installed butlericon truck mounted machine
5500hrs
150ft high pressure and vac hose on reels
extra fifty of both in back of van on hooks
5 jet 14in butler wand
cfr hand tool (furniture tool)
tile machine
17in machine scrubber( extra pads black green red white etc..)
stainless steel mop buckets and lot of handles
Turn key business or good back up truck
use the truck daily to make money with out any issues

Brand new tires, new battery and alt in last year.
Belts are all good shape on van and machine
this is a well maintained cleaning truck as all in our industry should be

updated with new butlers and have no need for the truck to just sit!
10,000 Firm
317-366-7234 CALL DON'T TEXT

Reactions: Russ T.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
We have a cleaner in town who has about 4 trucks. He uses one of them as a rental truck. He charge $150.00 a day I think. Every supplier in town knows him. If someone truck goes down for a couple days they refer the person to Scott if they need one in the interm. I have rented from him twice. Once do to my engine going down, the $150.00 a day hurt. But its better then several hundred every month, to have an extra truck sitting around. Another time my van got hit and I rented from him for two weeks, but the insurance paid for that. They preferred paying $150 a day over my lost wages.

If you have a backup truck you should consider doing this. I think he said he rents it about 7 times a month, pays for his payment on it and the rest of the time its available if he needs it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom