How many TM's?

JohnnyV

So,not counting the franchisee's who may be stuck buying a particular brand machine, how many Machines are sold every year? Just how many Carpet cleaners are there in the U.S. and canada?

These questions pertain to both Gas/oil fired and Heat exchange machines.

How long would you expect the average TM should serve you?
I know some have indicated they are partial to Stainless Steel. Just curious if cost was 1000.00 to 1500.00 difference between Cold steel and stainless, would you be willing to pay that much difference? I would think that Stainless would only be important if you kept the same machine longer than 10 years. A properly Powder coated steel frame should last at least that long.

How important is an Automatic Pump out? Are they high maintenance?

Is there anything your truck mount doesn't have, that you'd like to see?
What has been the biggest if any problems with your Truckmount? This is not about any one particular company. I will tell you that I am considering small engine repair and Small industrial equipment repair as well as Welding.

If you bought your Truck mount new, did it come with a Manual that pretty much explained everything? A service Manual? I know that some do their own maintenance. Would you consider it if you did have a thorough service/ repair manual for the machine?

Thanks in Advance
JohnnyV

JohnnyV

It's a series of questions designed to get some intelligent response from people who might actually give a shit. But hey, it doesn't matter.

much

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
As far as the manual, at least the big companies supply them. I don't think I could work on some of the stuff from the big guys due to complicated controls, switches, ect. It would be easier to maintain a mount from a small company due to that there is usually not too many switches and controls.

I believe prochem has their manuals online.

Albert

Greenie

JohnnyV said:
So,not counting the franchisee's who may be stuck buying a particular brand machine, how many Machines are sold every year? Just how many Carpet cleaners are there in the U.S. and canada?

I'm gonna go with about 3000 machines sold annually, including the mom and pop builders, but not including international sales. There are a lot of used mamchines sold, and I just don't beleive it's that big of a market.

These questions pertain to both Gas/oil fired and Heat exchange machines.

I beleive most will upgrade in 5 years.

I know some have indicated they are partial to Stainless Steel. Just curious if cost was 1000.00 to 1500.00 difference between Cold steel and stainless, would you be willing to pay that much difference? I would think that Stainless would only be important if you kept the same machine longer than 10 years. A properly Powder coated steel frame should last at least that long.

Stainless (or part stainless) is important, there are plenty who buy based apon that, just look at the trends.

You see the option on just about every machine sold, some are more problematic than others.

What has been the biggest if any problems with your Truckmount? This is not about any one particular company. I will tell you that I am considering small engine repair and Small industrial equipment repair as well as Welding.

If you bought your Truck mount new, did it come with a Manual that pretty much explained everything? A service Manual? I know that some do their own maintenance. Would you consider it if you did have a thorough service/ repair manual for the machine?

I'll leave those last two for the guys who clean everyday.

JohnnyV

Thanks for the reply Greenie. Just trying to gather info on whether it would be feasible doing repairs on the side.

Johnnyv

Greenie

It's always feasible JV, you can never have too many good mechanics, most distributors are in need of "good" TM mechanics, if you open your doors for "weekend" repairs it won't be long, you'll ahve them lined up at the door. It's the secondary market, all the guys who are no longer covered under warranty.

And.....Since almost NO distributors are open on weekends (big mistake) you will have that market to yourself.
Cleaners are fed up with ahving to bring their units in and leave them for days, when many a time it's a simple rapair that can be completed while they wait.
Havign been there myself, I would have paid handsomly for a weekend mechanic to get me up and running for monday morning, instead of waiting til monday to hopefully "get in" at the local shop.

And if you show the local boys your EZ, it's jsut a matter of time before you are selling them a good simple unit, that when they do bring it to you, the fix is simple and theya re back on the road. Heck you could pull the motor or blower in a crisis and have a new one bolted in under two hours, that is priceless for a guy with a busy schedule.

Just don't work cheap, my poor local guy is great, but just like BDCC he doesn't know to charge what he is worth, so he's always working hand to mouth.
If I ever opened a shop I'd pay him whatever he wanted, assign him a tech and double his shop rates and still be the best value for the dollar.
Not everyone should work for himself.

RichardnTn

Here Goes

The average life is somewhere around 3500-4500 hours. I have averaged rebuilding the pump once during that time period, with no problem with the blowers. Changing the air filter, oil filter, using good oil, will help to prolong the motor. I try to buy a machine that has more than enough horsepower, so that it is not working so hard all the time.

Not all manufacturers Powder Coating is the same. I have had machines that the PC lasted 4-5 years and others that started peeling within a year.... metal preparation or lack thereof is the problem here. Is SS worth the difference, personal decision but I would probably go $1000 extra, if Stainless was used extensively. Too, use of 1/4" aluminum can be used effectively also.

I have used AP since day-one. I wouldn't have it any other way but if you use one that is inside of the waste tank, you will have to thoroughly clean and closely inspect it at least once a month. The exterior belt-driven pumps are much nicer requiring only that a good filtering system be kept in place and cleaned daily x no. of jobs.

Hot cups in the pumps instead of the standard cups. Accessibility to components is a must, some companys make their virtually impossible to work on unless your a contortionist.

What has been the biggest if any problems with your Truckmount?

Kerosene burners can send you to the "nut house" if you don't do the maintenance on them. Other than that, normal routine maintenance will prevent a lot of down time..

All of the truckmounts that I have bought with the exception of one company, had good manuals. Most showed "exploded" views of all the systems, which is a necessitity. Of course, the trouble shooting section can only cover so much and there are always new things coming up, that is where you need not only a good dealer but make sure that he has people in the service department that you can call anytime and get an answer.

Hope this has helped some and as usual, these are simply my opinions, your mileage may vary.....thanks and best to all, Richard

Name
BradFenstermaker
YOYO Johnny,

I have never bought a new TM, but I do now most of my repairs and problems have been the age of my TM.

If you can repair cleaners around you it would be a good gig. Luckily I am mechanically inclined.

Never used a APO, bet it would be nice on occasion. Most TM's breakdown because the owner doesn't keep up with maintance. You could run a maintance schedule for you custy's. Send reminder and do a full service.

Mine is stainless powdercoated and looks great after probably 12 yrs of service. I would look for stainless when upgrading.

As for years in service, that depends on the care for the machine. Friends here have over 10,000 hrs on there units. One I would not be caught dead using but it still cleans great.

I hope to upgrade every five yrs.

Later,

Monsterfocker

JohnnyV

Thanks Fella's. I'm definitely going to be offering my services soon. Probably for all makes and models out of warranty. I definitely will be charging for my services.We'll see how it goes. I've got a building in site that will be well suited for the Repair biz and the Cleaning biz. I appreciate all the response. Seems like I may have just been missing having the grease under my finger nails a bit too much.

JohnnyV

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well damnit johnny why aint you out in utah...wish i had some other place to go to

JohnnyV

You just need a TM that doesn't need a Rocket Scientist to fix is all Doug. I may be showing one off soon. Shoot, I didn't think you did Carpet?

JohnnyV

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well duh why you think helped me get that one a while....damn i do all sorts of stuff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom