How Many Years?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
...In the business and on this planet?

I am reflecting on the fact that I got my first paycheck for cleaning something in 1972 (not counting hauling water for my father in younger years...that was just free child labor).

So much has changed in this business in 50 years, that I can't always say that the time I've served gives me any special advantage. If anything, having lived through high gas prices (relative to the times), inflation, and interest rates gives some perspective, but what happened 40 years ago happened in a far different world than the one in which we live today.

The other thing I reflect upon is that many of us are getting beyond being "late middle aged" here. Our perspectives are shaped by things unimaginable to guys and gals half our ages.

So ...63 trips around the sun, and 50 years in this business.

And 16 years here

How about all of you?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
...In the business and on this planet?

I am reflecting on the fact that I got my first paycheck for cleaning something in 1972 (not counting hauling water for my father in younger years...that was just free child labor).

So much has changed in this business in 50 years, that I can't always say that the time I've served gives me any special advantage. If anything, having lived through high gas prices (relative to the times), inflation, and interest rates gives some perspective, but what happened 40 years ago happened in a far different world than the one in which we live today.

The other thing I reflect upon is that many of us are getting beyond being "late middle aged" here. Our perspectives are shaped by things unimaginable to guys and gals half our ages.

So ...63 trips around the sun, and 50 years in this business.

And 16 years here

How about all of you?
63 this June, been cleaning carpet since 1981. Here since 2012. Still enjoying what I do.

steve_64

1980 I used the school's portable to do some cash jobs.
Born 64.
06 started my business and found mikeys board.
17 months later I quit my full time job. Been at it since.
It is a struggle starting so late bur I'm in a much better position now had I jet on the track I was on.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
62 but retired now
Worked for a janitorial co 77-78
Worked for a carpet cleaning co for 6 months in 79
In june of 79 bought out that small company
Met you 11/24/80 (Prochem demo on the Tara blue banquet room)
The rest is history

I remember that visit, and getting to know Jim Potter too. I was in my second year living on the road when we met.

You had a Hydramaster, and Jim had a Certified truck mount if I remember right.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Well I'm only 58, for a few more months.

Started at 12 cleaning the shop

Taking concentrated pre sprays 16 gal and mixing it into a 55 gal drum

Then filling and label 55 gal individual.

We had deodorizer I think cherry rings a bell.

Emulsifier, big brute from maintex, Scotchgard, one other product, I would make 250 gal rtu.

Then I learned how to work with fiberglass and was able to repair out portable machine change vacuums and pumps and cracks.

Eventually graduating HS and starting full time in the family business 1981.

Stated on my own in 2000 found t M fff 2010 this place 2011.

Lee Pemberton taught a class for Prochem don't remember when,

But it was when they were pushing ultra pac as a pre spray, and All fiber rinse as a 2 step process.

Prochem always had that maximum clean minimum residue on their powders dry slurry, clean green.

Wasn't he featured in a prochem ad too Jim?

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Wasn't he featured in a prochem ad too Jim?

Yes he was. He and Prochem's founder, Jim Roden, had a friendship that went back to 1972. They partnered in many ideas that later became mainstream in the industry.

Like many of the best people in this business, Jim Roden wasn't well known, but he had a powerful influence on the industry far beyond most know of.

The debt I owe him for his education, guidance, and inspiration is beyond all evaluation.

The single best thing Jim taught me had nothing to do with cleaning chemistry (though he was an expert).

It was this:

"People hire cleaning services to buy back their time. Forget how powerful our machines and products are versus what they can buy or rent. It is all about getting back the only priceless thing we have: Time."

I never forgot that.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
X2

been a Mikeysboarder since week 2 2006

as for being Middle aged…. I haven’t been that for over 15 years

anyone past 40 and wont concede being over middle aged, hasn’t spent time with 85 year olds

and if you slice the life pie into thirds…. Anyone over 55 is in the early stages of the final stage

I agree with that Fred.

"60 is the new 40" really doesn't cut it in any sort of reality.

I'm in the best shape I've been since 40, but that speaks more to me having been a bar hopping, lazy, garbage eating slug then, not that I'm all that great now.

....and I still see my grandfather's face in the mirror, so there's that.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Looking at poor aron cleaning last night kills me

I love cleaning but there are times I say I hate carpet cleaning.

FB_IMG_1657923624312.jpg Screenshot_20220715-075853.png

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
owner operator 22 years. one other tech for many of them.

With 4 kids 26,24,19 and 7. Same awesome wife. She really runs the biz, I just work. Didn't miss any of the smaller things like first days of school, halloween parades, etc. Keeps me motivated.
The 7 year old is my prospect for a takeover. Blessed here.

Reactions: Jim Williams

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
80/41 Still working solo no one wants to work with me. Still enjoying a few days a week . Nothing above 1st floor . Some comerical most residential .I do enjoy cleaning dirty white carpets.Look forward to the calls as they come in. jz
Nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom