How much is too much?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
How many jobs do you do a day and how do you determine if you will be able to do them all? I ask because I was triple booked today and normally only would of done one maybe two of the jobs but at a freinds request took on the third job. I arrived at the first at about 9:00 am ( T&G no seal about 2400 sqft. collision center was a nasty!) and ittook me and my helpers 4.5hrs to finish. Second job was at 2:00 pm ( Strip and wax VCT about 7000 sqft Distributor showroom not to bad) and it took me about 6 hours to finish. Then the third and final job was a rental house just carpet and was about 1700 sqft carpet that to me was very clean to begin with and that took me about an hour or so. My question is this normal to most of you or when you start consistantly getting this much work you get another unit up and running?

Mikey P

Administrator
Are you always doing those size jobs?

Probably not if you do mostly carpet, in which case 4 homes a day of carpet should be a easy average.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Since my company started as a janitorial co yes i do alot of 6k to 15k sqft jobs weekly but i also get residential everyone once in a while but this week i had a cheerleader tell her friends about me and fully booked just by her references.

John Watson

Excuse me, as Helen and I try to be a cleaners of clean carpets as much as possible please explain your procedures to accomplish this amount of sq footage in an hour or so. Thanks, Not trying to insult just curious. Maybe Helen can learn some new tricks..

dealtimeman said:
Then the third and final job was a rental house just carpet and was about 1700 sqft carpet that to me was very clean to begin with and that took me about an hour or so.

G

Creative scheduling; as long as the homes are unoccupied and you meet all jobs that you have to do while custy is there. I would schedule unoccupied jobs last. Sounds like you got it licked; just watch out for your health; don't get too burned out.

P.S. The economy here seems to be killing the locally owned franchises here; we are so darn busy and getting a lot of new commercial custy's.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Obviously the size of the job plays a big part, there's days I do 2-3 jobs, and days I do 5, but get home at the same time. 5 jobs takes more out of you though, fo sho.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I Had the luxury of of having a third helper yesterday and that is how i went so fast. We were almost running into each other in the house but it was clean and i just wanted to get it done! One of my helpers vaccum, i wentbehind him presprayed and the other helper groomed in the prespray. We worked well after about ten minutes of doing the job. Customer called this mourning and said it looked and smelled great. But back to the i am not happy with the results thing, is this normal? Spoke to the investment partner/majority owner today and they loved it and told me to bring the bill by and they would take care of it quickly. The only problem i had with the job is that the grout did not completely match. Is that when you would color seal?

Name
Jesse
We'll do as many as there is hours in the day, I think capability is the key to making money in a business where you never know what call is going to come in next. I hate to lose business opportunities even if were busy and they are inconvenient.

Occasionally we need to sent a tech out ahead of the tm to keep it moving, we have them measure, quote, pre-vacuum, tab, treat, and scrub. It lets us be on time when were late and has saved many jobs that would have been cancellations.

We have a cargo van with pre-heated fresh water so vacants and commercial jobs with no water aren't issues. 8)

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
dealtimeman said:
I Had the luxury of of having a third helper yesterday and that is how i went so fast. We were almost running into each other in the house but it was clean and i just wanted to get it done! One of my helpers vaccum, i wentbehind him presprayed and the other helper groomed in the prespray. We worked well after about ten minutes of doing the job. Customer called this mourning and said it looked and smelled great. But back to the i am not happy with the results thing, is this normal? Spoke to the investment partner/majority owner today and they loved it and told me to bring the bill by and they would take care of it quickly. The only problem i had with the job is that the grout did not completely match. Is that when you would color seal?

The perfect time. Get the sales kit from GP, do a demo, and book it next week when you get the color they chose. Money in the bank, plus no machine running or driving all over town.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Is there a supporting vendor of grout perfect here on the forum? Or do i go down to cobbs and ask larry for it? Where do I get a demo of how to do it? Has anyone here used it? What is the level of difficulty of application? What is rate at which you have apllied it sqft/hr? Is it profitable or a pain in the ass? I ask so many questions because of marty's response. :shock:

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Call Grout Perfect tomorrow and talk to Steve. Get the DVD and sales kit. Watch the DVD twice, next tile job do a demo and off you go. You may want to do your house and your assistants house first to get warmed up. Steve is one of the nicest guys in this industry that I have dealt with along with Les Jones.

I swore a year ago that I was not going to touch this stuff because I can clean the grout back to new...... 8) Stupid me, I probably left $20K laying around and various jobs last year.

Try it. Only way to learn is do it.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I clicked on the innovative surface solution banner and wanted to know if it is the same thing as grout perfect? is is similair? has anyone used it?

breathe72

Lets back up a minute.

You start your first one at 9AM?

Try this: Arrive at the first one by 7:30 (yes, even if its still dark outside) and see what a difference this makes to your day.

The last couple of years I would always book my arrival time at 9AM for our 1st job of the day.

No matter what, I always got home after dark.

What was going on was I had been taking advantage of my own timeclock and productivity because I was the boss.

Why get up extra early if I'm my own boss, right?

I make the rules. And the arrival time was 9AM.

No more. I just had to tweak my schedule and stick with it till it became habit.

Now, by 8am, we are cleaning.

The custy will live with the early start-time if you stick to your guns and don't compromise.

I now have dinner with my family each night.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Right now I start at 10-10:30.. :shock: 8) Why get started so early when it's slow?

I had one custy ask if 9am was too LATE??(maybe too early I thought) Right now, I take it easy for the most part but do alot of flyers and do paperwork that I have neglected till now!

I did notice a big difference starting at 8 instead of 9 last year as far as making money though..

I like 3-4 jobs a day depending on job size.. I'll do 2 if they keep me busy!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Able 1 said:
Right now I start at 10-10:30.. :shock: 8) Why get started so early when it's slow?

Now that's what I'm talking about 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom