How much protector do you sell?

G

For those that don't mind sharing how much $$ did you make selling protector this year or on what percentage of jobs did you sell it?

I'm asking because I'm committed to selling it this upcoming year. I'm embarrassed to say I probably sold about $500 worth last year.....which is really bad if you knew my year's total.

Ricky Thurman

I'm in the same boat buddy. approx $120,000 total sales and only about $2500 in protector. My new year resolution is to sell that stuff like there is no tomorrow. I know that I could've, should've, and would've sold at least $25,000 if I had even remotely tried!!!! Now that I look back on the year, that 25 grand would have made SUCH a HUGE difference.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
approx $1700.00

It was not easy at first I am not good at thinks like that

That is why Tia came up with that sheet that I hand the Client and it helped to sell it.....It has worked great.............

the above figure was for the last 4 or 5 month of this year...........

Ricky Thurman

I am working on something similar Jim. a tri-fold pamplet with the front outside cover devoted to Ultra-Seal. I got some blotter cards from Cobb which will sell the stuff for you!!! You just gotta hand em out.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I don't know exactly but I doubt it's more then you Curt. I already told my wife to start planting the seed on the phone. Will make it a bit easier on the job.

Do you believe in the product?. For me I'm not quite sure. I have to do some testing and once convinced it should be much easier.

Albert

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I agree with the planting the seed thing I told my wife the same thing but found out that the visual is the only way to go...........

Most of my clients seeds have trouble sprouting

I just hand them this after my initial walk and let them read it and decide once I have completed the cleaning........
protector.jpg

Attachments

• protector.jpg
    protector.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 242
G

Curt,

Give me a call. I can give you some real helpful hints. I used to apply it only when they asked and in July I decided I would offer it to most customers, there are some I wouldn't take their money.

I am now selling $2,000 or more every month and it has helped sales a lot. Call me. (708) 670-4043.

Dave

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I was told the Waterfalls in SLC sell over $80,000 a year!!
I am not a good salesman of protector. I have built a nice biz off of fast drying. Protector really slows the drying. I have had solvent based from Hardball but even the scented ones smell too strong to me. If there is a solvent based one that doesn't chase you out of the house please tell me.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Our techs average right around $10,000 worth each, with no hard sell or huge commission. Just asking if the customer wants it.

We don't overprice it to make it a huge profit center, but it is still very profitable. they sell some Teflon on about 25% of all jobs.

I got a call from a friend in Alaska who had increased his company's protectant sales from $2,000 to $90,000 in one year.
He said he invested $6 in having a rubber stamp made that said, "did you ask about Teflon?" and had a yes and a no check box.
He stamped every piece of paperwork and did nothing else.

Bryan Irvin

Curt, if you really want to sell more this year, the first and most important thing to do is ask on EVERY job. If you don't tell your customers about it they don't know. Another thing you could do is see when Craig Jasper is having a class in your area and go to it. It only cost $100 and you will make that back in the same week. I have taken his class twice, and now when I talk to my customers about protector, I sell 7 out of 10. Do your homework, research in depth how it works, not just the quick explanation. When you clean your own home, apply it to half of the cleaned area and see the difference it makes, then when you talk about it, you will be sharing first hand information. The better you understand the product, the easier it is to explain. As you get more comfortable educating your customers about the product and its benefits, they will want to buy it. These things worked for me. Good Luck!

Bryan

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Add-On Sales

I have access to a few CD of a training program for add-on sales. It focuses on selling protector but includes other add-ons a swell.

These retail for $49. A can send out a few free. First come basis. I'll need you mailing address if you want one.

Scott Warrington

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
My customers that sell the most protector always do a demo for the customer.

That is to dispel any customer concern over the performance of the protector.

The best demo is one you do by treating the customers paper towel right in front of them.

Spray half with a fast-dry solvent protector, let it dry a couple minutes while you explain the benefits to the customer.

Test it with a cup of coffee or soft drink to show the repellency.

The key is the ultra-fast drying protector. We make one designed just for the demonstrations.

There are also some new low-odor solvent protectors coming on the market.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member[/b]

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Chem-Dry has a kit that uses an unprotected strip of white carpet. Put protectant (water based) on one half. Pour kool aid on it , agitate and run down the sink. Protected part comes out white while other is pink/red. I've had the strips for a long time and never used them other then to test. I'll have to start using it.

Albert

JohnnyV

I don't sell near enough. I do a demo for the ones that I do sell it to. I use the "Spray the paper towel" thing with one of their paper towels...I generally don't use Solvent but I understand it does dry alot faster. I just tell them to set it aside until it dries and then they can play with it. Anyone with any help to up my sales, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its sad that I just don't ask. It's the easiest money to be made. I do worry about spraying it. I just don't know what will or won't affect that new Heart Valve of mine. I've heard guys talk about respirators but I feel that would really scare the customer. Any Thoughts?

JohnnyV

JaminT

As far as spraying protector goes, most water-based protectors are applied at a large enough particle size that inhalation should not be a problem. However, I would not recommend using ANYTHING solvent based for someone with heart problems.
Another thing I have noticed is several people mentioning extended drying times when applying protector. Can I ask what water-based protector you are using? I used to use Maxim (when i was still cleaning), and (although I still told people that due to adding extra moisture, dry times *could* be extended) it was my experience that applying a water-based acid side protector such as Maxim would *usually* SPEED the drying process. On the other hand, i do know that that is in fact one of the selling points of Maxim, so other wb protectors may be different in that regard...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
JaminT said:
As far as spraying protector goes, most water-based protectors are applied at a large enough particle size that inhalation should not be a problem. However, I would not recommend using ANYTHING solvent based for someone with heart problems.

I would change one word in Jamin's response. As far as spraying protector goes, most water-based protectors SHOULD BE applied at a large enough particle size that inhalation should not be a problem.

Use the spray tip recommended by the manufacturer. Usually a 8006 or even an 8008 tip size. This means large droplets which fall to the carpet faster rather than staying in the breathing zone.

Applying at the suggested pressure also keeps particles out of the air.

Scott Warrington[/b]

G

Selling protector is real easy. Don't ask before you start cleaning. After you have cleaned some, bring the customer in to show them how the carpet is coming out. If you feel it should be protected ask the customer if they would like you to re apply it.

You should easily sell 8 out of 10 or more this way. You don't need to waste your time with demonstrations. The customer will ask you what it does and you can just explain it to them.

Dave

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We sell it on about 70% of the jobs. We also do not over price it, and due to our large buying power it is very profitable.

Crews range between 3-10,000 of protector sales per month each and have bonus levels that earn them gift cert for a mall on top of the premium comm they receive.

If it is asked over the phone and then again when in the home it is an easy sale, no hard selling needed or advised.

Ken

JaminT

scottw said:
JaminT said:

I would change one word in Jamin's response. As far as spraying protector goes, most water-based protectors SHOULD BE applied at a large enough particle size that inhalation should not be a problem.

Use the spray tip recommended by the manufacturer. Usually a 8006 or even an 8008 tip size. This means large droplets which fall to the carpet faster rather than staying in the breathing zone.

Applying at the suggested pressure also keeps particles out of the air.

Scott Warrington[/b]

Thanks for amending that for me, Scott :)

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I sell protectant on just about every carpet and upholstery job. This year, about $50,000 income from protectant sales. I don't need to do demos typically, but talk about it's attributes and how much we have actually tested the products in our own home. We are able to give honest feed back and feel good about selling the product.

Mark Saiger
Saiger's Steam Clean, LLC
Grand Rapids, MN

Back
Top Bottom