How much to discount for large commercial

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I usually don't ask these questions but I'm bidding on approx 130k sqft of carpet (2 buildings). A few hundred upholstered chairs / couches, dividers and 100 steps.

What would you discount percentage wise vs your normal com. charge?.

Just looking at this place made me real tired :lol:

thanks,
Albert

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
why ya gonna discount it ?

only discount if they are going to clean frequently and if you can get a cimex and HWE contract

1 time a year - .20
2 times a year - .16
3 times a year - .12

chairs once a year - $18 per
chairs twice a year $15 per
chairs three times a year $12 per

prices maybe high to you; you decide but you get the idea. the HWE appointment at more intervals isnt going to be a big winner but you will make bank on the cimexing appointments and make up for the loss in profit margin. give them options and let them decide what route they want to take.

hope that helps

oh and dont be surprised if you get undercut like crazy. i doubt it would be worth it to try and even compete with those low ball guys; actually theres no doubt in my mind, unless you have ridiculous low overhead and dont mind missing out on other money that you could make instead as well. and if its a state or govt building dont expect to get pid in 30 days... more like 45-60.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Albert Lazo said:
I usually don't ask these questions but I'm bidding on approx 130k sqft of carpet (2 buildings). A few hundred upholstered chairs / couches, dividers and 100 steps.

thanks,
Albert

depends how bad you want/need the account and how razor thin on profits you're willing to go

any info on what they're paying now?
Why they're taking bids?
are they happy with their current CC'r?

how much of it can encRapped/bonnet cleaned?

..L.T.A.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks Steven. No tm allowed and their sold on a low moisture system. Brute and cimex come to mind. It's 3 years old but lightly soiled. Panels and uph would be done with porty.

depends how bad you want/need the account and how razor thin on profits you're willing to go

any info on what they're paying now?
Why they're taking bids?
are they happy with their current CC'r?

how much of it can encRapped/bonnet cleaned?

They've never had it cleaned. I'm the third and final bid. The guy says one of the bids may not make it to the table due to that they don't have a porty. Sounds weird, I'd gladly rent or borrow one for this gig.

Albert

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Well there ya go. Probably have to do it in sections obviously. You could still hit some rougher areas with a porty if needed, and post pad to get it dry quick. But knowing that its going to be mainly cimexing, you could go a little lower on those per sq ft prices.

B

Bill G. Martin

If you have a general liability policy or workers comp policy, be sure to include those features in your quote. Could really make a difference in their decision

Farenheit251

I've bid against Stanley on a few smaller but still large jobs. I think they were forgoing sq ft pricing and seemed to bid $1000 per van/day(Florida not Cali money).

Chris A

Name
Chris
Depending on the size I've been known to cut my rate 60%. The reason you cut it is VOLUME. You have to look at the big picture. $.18 a foot is great but in most markets you'll never get it for that amount of square footage. The idea is once you get in there and set up, with a 2 man crew you should be able to really rock. 1000+ SF per hour is not uncommon.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For low moisture cleaning we would probably be in the 10-12 cent range.

Figuring on average 1000 sq/ft per man (2-man crew) each running a machine.

2000 x .10 = $200.00 a production hour.

1000 is a low average if it's lightly soiled, the OP can clean 1,500 sq/ft and the Cimex over 2000 sq/ft an hour. But you better off calculating with low than a high average.

You could go as low as .08 and still come out with $160.00 and hour per crew, but I'd only do that with frequency, if they sign up for a quarterly or 6-month cleaning.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Competing with the low ballers will probably put you in the 3-4 cents a sq ft.

I would do a personal demo to the decision maker and let him see your work.

Then go with the pricing that Chavez suggests.

Hand cleaning the furniture with a towel goes extremely fast.
Spray and wipe.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We bid .075 on one that size and lost it by a few cents. I felt like we were sticking our necks out to go that low, so it didn't hurt to lose it. They must have had higher production equipment to make any money at that rate.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
IMO Commercial Encamp cleaning is basically unskilled labor. You can teach someone how to encap clean in an hour or two. Sure the equipment and chemicals are more expensive than janitorial work, but not much. I was talking to someone who has the contract for carpet cleaning at UPS corporate headquarters. He is maintaining 1,000,000 Sq ft per month for them at about .01 per Sq Ft. He said he modified some huge double pad auto scrubber into an encap machine. You don’t want to leave money on the table but, I would be very happy to get a 100,000 Sq ft encap job at 5 cents a Sq. If it’s that big I’m sure you could average at least 1500 per man hour.

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
Albert Lazo said:

thanks,
Albert

I would think you can make money with these prices and still be able to get the job at. That's just me though. I can take those numbers and make money all day long.

$.15 per foot for carpet $1,950
$6.25 per chair $1,250
$2. per stair $200.
$50. per couch
$17. per partition or divider

Could answer better if i had more info. Nothing worse then underbidding a large job.

The carpet alone with 1 truck would 130,000.00 sw ft of carpet would take around 2100 hours under ideal conditions.

DO you have more then 1 truck?

Portable or truck mount , better yet type of clean equipment?

Do they have a time frame?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
130,000 sq ft / 2100 hours = 61.9 Sq ft per man hour. I have said it before; most carpet cleaners are bad at math.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Suppose you get the job. When you're finished how will you decide if you priced it right? By what you turned per hour, right?

I'd price it based on your production rate and what you want to make per hour.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Wayne Miller said:
Suppose you get the job. When you're finished how will you decide if you priced it right? By what you turned per hour, right?

I'd price it based on your production rate and what you want to make per hour.

At the end of the day I would judge by the question:

“Did I have any more profitable work I could have done instead of this job?”

I think the game is changing. Janitorial companies judge optimal production rates at $25-$30 per man hour. CC judge optimal production rates at $100-$125 per hour. Who do you think will be the first to gravitate towards a production rate of say $50-$75 per hour? JMO but, If you’re not plugging in a deferent production rate in the bigger markets for encap someone else will and make money every time.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Torn said:
Albert Lazo said:

thanks,
Albert

I would think you can make money with these prices and still be able to get the job at. That's just me though. I can take those numbers and make money all day long.

$.15 per foot for carpet $1,950
$6.25 per chair $1,250
$2. per stair $200.
$50. per couch
$17. per partition or divider

You left off a 0 from your carpet estimate... 130K equals 130,000 multiplied by 0.15/sqft equals $19,500.00. Yeah I could make some money on that too!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
He said he modified some huge double pad auto scrubber into an encap machine.

That sounds very cool. Any details on what he did?. Pics?.

I went in at about 10 cents. I say about because the place is 150k sft but there is concrete and wood floors and furniture so I thought the 130 was a good number.

30 for the uph chairs
I think 45 for the couches
partitions 12.50 per 4' section
200 for 2 leather chairs and ottomans

I think the other 2 are CD's. I asked the dude and he said they were using the "you know dry chem stuff" :lol:
I have a brute and a regular swing. I'll buy a dual speed if I get it and try Ziron (forgot the name of that cleaner). I wanted to try a dual for stone work anyways. I could probably borrow a cimex and a portable as well.

No time frame that I know of.

thanks for the feedback,
Albert

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
He said it was one of the auto scrubbers you ride on. I don’t think you would have to do much to modify any auto scrubber. You just add deferent jets and remove the vacuum. He said it would run for a long time because he wasn’t using the vacuum it was built to run.

G

Chavez is a Mexican, you're Cuban...

take his numbers and adjust up or down according to your belief system on the hierarchy of Latino worth!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom